1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are We Considered "Gay"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by allalone1141, Jul 6, 2008.

?

Are bisexual people gay?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2008.
  1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. allalone1141

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, I'm a bisexual girl, just to straighten that out. I was just thinking the other day, with some indignance, that bisexual people are kind of in an awkward position. We aren't really straight or homosexual. We swing both ways, to put it somewhat crudely.

But here's my question: Are we, bisexuals, gay? Webster's dictionary defines "gay" as: Homosexual. Damn it. So we're not straight or gay? That automatically boots us off of straight stuff as well as gay pride stuff!

Would you consider us "gay"? I'm getting increasingly irritated as I battle it out in my head. :dry:

2. Hoppip

You're part of the LGBT community. You're not specifically gay, but you are grouped in with us.

3. allalone1141

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's just sort of a letdown, I mean we don't have Bi parades or rallies. There's no rainbow "Bi Pride". What about us????

:bang:

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Unfortunately, that seems to be the fate of all "half-breeds" throughout history. During racial segregation, mulattos (that may be an offensive term now, so if it is, I appologize) were rejected by both the black and white community, and bisexuals, unfortunately, suffer the same fate today.

Also, you may not have a bi pride rainbow, but there are bi pride symbols

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I say yes. In my mind I think of gay as being "attracted to people of the same gender" so that includes bisexuals. (*hug*) You're totally included in gay/LGBT pride and whatever, as far as I'm concerned.

6. allalone1141

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, well that makes me feel somewhat better. I just wish we didn't have to be this freakish half-breed. We're more abnormal that gay and lesbian people, which (no offense) feels a bit strange. :confused:

7. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i guess to an extent... to people who see in black and white - cus youre not straight.

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Bi people are straight sometimes and gay sometimes. Well, more to choose from. However, I voted as 'no' since gay people aren't straight, not even sometimes.

9. Alexander

Bi = 100% gay and 100% straight. You're both.

10. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, but you didn't look up "homosexual." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So Merriam-Webster states that bisexuals fit the definition of being gay, at least part of the time.

11. allalone1141

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Huh. Interesting. That's pretty cool.

12. I don't consider us ("us" meaning bisexuals) to be gay. I usually have to go an extra mile to make sure people understand that it's a separate orientation. I wouldn't say we're gay. Or straight for that matter. We're something separate from both.

13. allalone1141

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's a cool way to think of it. However, as I said before, (perhaps this is silly and insecure) that excludes us from most ways of showing our pride. :icon_sad:

14. Some of the time gay pride will be inclusive of bisexuals though. They see us as kind of being part of the same crowd since we have same sex attractions. Of course there are some who don't think that way but there are some who include us when we want to show our pride.

15. interstella

It's called LGBT for a reason.

16. grapevine fires

The whole "this or that" thing bothers me. For example, I'm not 100% into girls, more like 85-95%. It should be calculated in degrees of homosexuality or heterosexuality, since very few people who consider themselves part of the LGBT community are 100% gay.

It's not so much (for me, anyway) Gay pride as LGBT Pride, so in that sense, you most certainly are included. Gay is just a specific description of a sexual orientation, as is Bisexual and straight and everything in between.

17. LOVEjames

Personally, when I use the word "Gay" to encompass a group of people, I include Bisexual people in it, just because they're attracted to people of the same sex. It might not be exclusive attraction to the same sex, but they're still attracted to the same sex.

18. asherly

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been going over the same thing in my head and the thing that pops into my mind is an episode of The L Word. It is right after Alice was with Lisa, I think her and Dana might have just gotten together, and some one says to Alice, "I'm glad you're gay again." I mean she has stated she is Bi before so why would they go there? I mean does that mean your status changes when your partner changes?

19. musicgirl112233

I consider anyone who is attracted to the same sex "gay".

20. josephaustin92

I consider Bi-sexual s part of the gay community.