1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with procrastination?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gaybestfriend01, Feb 9, 2014.

1. As I find myself at 1 am finishing a paper due tomorrow:bang:, I wonder if there is a way to deal with procrastinating. How do you guys stop yourselves from procrastinating?

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went all the way through university without finding a solution...good luck. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll let you know tomorrow.

Hahaha....I can be a terrible procrastinator as well. What usually works for me is reminding myself that if I do something now, I will have that much more time to relax, and that much less stress. I will admit I was a hard sell on that at first. But if you can do it a couple times you will discover how much better you feel for it.

Of course, it's not 100% a bad thing. When I was in college (back when term papers were painted in hieroglyphics on cave walls), I did come to realize that some of my best papers were done when I was under a time crunch, because I was much more to the point and forceful. Depending on the type of project, procrastinating may work in your favor that way....but I'd try it both ways first!

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm having the same problem I should be writing my story but I've been procrastinating it's such a shame .:rolle:

5. AlamoCity

+1

It doesn't help when you procrastinate and still get good grades. It's almost as if you're getting a pass to keep the bad habits.

6. I should be finishing my paper, but that's what 3 am is for. Lol

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remind myself that I want to get into medical science, and that tends to kick me back into focus. It's a good emotional tactic.

I also focus on what I need; a good sleep and relative relaxation is better than guilt and panic as I edit my 50% of term essay on the bus.

8. Emulator

It works somewhat if I take just what I need and move to an empty room. Somewhat. All the best :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Simple Thoughts

I'm a habitual procrastinator. The best method I've found though is just making yourself do it.

If you're procrastination is anything like mine you give your head a million excuses on why you still have time, why you can still do it later, and ect...

What worked best for me was just ignoring all that and making yourself just do it even though every fiber of your being really would much rather be doing something else. Don't get me wrong I lazy out a lot still, but each time I push myself to just do something it gets a little easier ^^

10. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a list of ways I deal with procrastination:

(Sorry, I don't know how to stop procrastinating. It's a vice of mine too - Leaving things till the last minute. I even procrastinated posting a reply. Go figure! :lol:slight_smile:

11. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol

This..

Im second in my class (by .1 GPA overall with weights >.>) and i procrastinate like no other xD i do 5 page papers the night before @ 3 am, school @ 6 am... its really bad, and im working on it. but when i procrastinate and get an A on a paper, or perfect a test, or at worst an A- and maybe miss 2 or 3 on homework.. It really just keeps reinforcing that i dont even have to try very hard to get a good grade..

Its stressful.. sorry to sound arrogant, lol.

12. Karabeara

I like to remind myself I can relax while doing it. I'll put on a show or some music and just multi task. It usually gets me motivated. :slight_smile:

13. AKTodd

I've always struggled with this, but have found some things that help. Hopefully you will find them useful as well.

A) go to the office - set a place and time (NOT your house or dorm room) where you do your work. When you are there, it is work time and you must get things done. You may have go force yourself at first, but eventually it becomes a habit. It takes about 14 days to create or break a habit IIRC. Go to the office every day during the week (schedule permitting) for 2-4 hrs each visit.

B) schedule study/work time - related to A above. This means scheduling not just your 'office' time, but also research time, project time, etc. in advance. Review a paper or project when it's assigned and estimate how many hours it will take to do and how much time you have to do it. Now split up the work time into multiple chunks spread across the amount of time you have to do it. Work that into your office time or extra time if needed. Now you can make some progress on it each day. Note that you should add in a 'fudge factor' of 10% on your work time to allow for unexpected events. If you estimate it will take 10hrs to get something done, schedule in 11hrs to do it.

C) make lists - make a list of what you have to do and cross things off the list as you do them. This can make the pile of things to do much less intimidating. It goes from a faceless mass of 'oh crap, how will I do it all?!' To 'I have 10 things to get done this week. Got one done. Hey, now I only have 9 things to do. Now 8. Etc.'

D) figure out your most productive time of day - classes and work can complicate this, but try to determine when you are in the best mind space for study/work/class. Are you a morning person or is the afternoon/evening when you really shine? Find your best time and then schedule things (including your classes as much as possible) around what works best for you.

E) turn off your phone - modern phones are a gigantic time sink that people have foolishly decided they cannot be without even for a moment. This is not true. The world will not end if you are not up on the latest text/tweet/whatever for a few hours per day. During your work time, turn the phone OFF and let people know that you are not available during that time.

F) use good tools - there are a variety of scheduling and project management apps and websites out there. My favorite is Trello.com. It's got a simple, intuitive interface, but is very powerful. It's cloud based so you can access it anywhere and will work on a computer or tablet, and maybe a phone. Find a tool that works best for you to schedule and track your time and then live by it.

G) schedule your fun time - you need a break from time to time to work effectively. You should plan a break and healthy snack every 4hrs or so. On the larger scale, allow yourself time to unwind and play. Could be Friday or Saturday night is your time to go do something fun. Or 8pm on Thursday is when your favorite show comes on. Or whatever. Schedule your fun like anything else and it's no longer taking time away from your work. And if you've been staying on top of your 'office time' like you should, you'll probably find yourself with more free time anyway.

Hope this helps,

Too

#13 AKTodd, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, you might be a good candidate for the Fraternal Order of the Sloths, feel free to join...when you get around to it...maybe.

I am Procratinator Numero Uno, but I do have one strategy based on my strength at beginning things (it's finishing I have trouble with): It's simple really, just begin something (be as concrete as possible, like if you have to make a phone call, imagine yourself physically reaching for that phone as the first thing you have to do (or find the number first). When you inevitably set the work aside, treat the return to the work as a new beginning (imagine again a very concrete physical action).

Instead of a long slog, imagine a series of beginnings! :grin:

15. DrkRayne

Adderol ER 5mg 1x day :grin:

16. justjade

I procrastinate like nobody's business. The only thing I've found that works for me is to just tell myself that it needs done and that it won't be that bad to just do it. Usually I'm wrong about the second part, but I do end up doing it. If I can find a way to make it enjoyable for me, that's even better.

But like greatwhale said, you should join FOOTS if you get around to it. :grin:

17. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I make a list of all the things I need to do, and then sleep on it for a while. Then I forget where the list is.
    :roflmao:

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think about how great you'll feel when it's done and dusted. Then begin. Be proactive! AKTodd has given you excellent advice. I listened to music when I studied. It made studying less tedious for me but that might be distracting for some. It's the first thing I did whenever I came home and I had trouble taking breaks. Then I stayed up all night playing video games. Get enough sleep!

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And remember that the application form must be submitted at least one month late...now if I can only find the damn thing...

20. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a finishing master's student. Anyone who finds the cure for procrastination would be like a deity to me. *sobbing*