1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musician appeal

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gravechild, Feb 11, 2014.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure we've all heard of the popular media trope of the band front man getting all the girls, but how does this play out with gay men and lesbians? Guitarists and vocalists, especially, seem to benefit from a certain "chic" factor that you wouldn't get with say, someone who plays trombone for a marching band.

For me, the reaction is in the neutral-positive range, since I've played keyboards for several years and am trying to get back into guitar, so finding someone with similar interests is definitely a plus. I've never been the type to swoon over musicians, though (there really aren't any single qualities that would make me fall for someone on the spot, come to think of it) there's definitely no shortage of respect, curiosity, and admiration involved.

If you play an instrument, what are your long-term goals, and what have your experiences been? Would it be important for your partner to be someone who also appreciates or has an interest in music? And for those who are on the receiving end: would you date a musician? Why or why not? I suppose this thread could also serve as a sort of Q&A between both sides, since there are plenty who would like to start learning, as well as those who are passionate about playing, and wish to know if their lifestyle would interfere in a serious, long-term relationship.

Have at it! :lol:

2. Julieno

I find it quite attractive. A nice voice is a feature i really appreciate. I really enjoy music listening, playing and dancing so it would certainly give potential partner a lot of points. (though i have weird and not connected tastes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I play the guitar and sing. I started playing the guitar when I moved to a new place and virtually didn’t know anyone. It was also something that I tried learning a couple of times before and gave up and I set it as a personal challenge, that’s when I decided that I wanted to come out too so It was kind of a personal challenge to prove myself that I could do whatever I wanted.

I really have no future plans. I keep playing whenever I am bored or sad since it cheers me up and also in social occasions. As long as I keep improving (reeeally slowly, but that doesn’t really matter), my friends like it and I enjoy it I’ll keep doing it.

I guess it is generally seen as something nice. In my experience when a guy realizes you have a guitar they (nearly) always ask you to play!

3. duende84

I am in the music production industry but that aside I have always found people that mastered an instrument (or instruments) very attractive because it is a great skill to have.

A well toned drummer without a shirt doing this thing gets me hot everytime!
    A skilled guitarist with a heavenly voice makes me dreamy.
    A melodic and rythmic basist can grab me anytime.

I myself play piano (and keys which is generally labelled as a "gay" thing) and a little bit of guitar. Sometimes I also sing. In school I was in all the choirs and musicals.

4. Emulator

Yeah, I play an instrument. My goals? Nothing much for long term but I'm thinking of picking up another instrument soon. And I might do a bit of composing.

If I have a partner in the future, it wouldn't be necessary for them to appreciate music, but it would certainly be easier if they didn't hate it (so I don't have to find odd times to practise like I do now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been musical, from singing in church to later playing in band and orchestra, and I would like someone who could share my love of music. I played flute (just over 14 years!) and later oboe; a male flute player often gets stereotyped as effeminate. The stereotype is not far offbase because the other male flutist at my school was also gay and out.

Since I'm interested in music (classical and the like) that other people are often intimidated or have little knowledge of, I don't think I could be very stringent in musical compatibility. All I ask for is an open mind to listening to new things.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Musicians are dreamy~

7. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm trying to learn Bass, But i'm REALLY musically un-gifted, As for for long-term goals i'd like to start a NWOBHM/Heavy Metal band like Tank, Saxon and Raven at some point. And yes, I'd date a Musician! Long haired men are good looking. :thumbsup:

8. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I dont know the difference between "Classical" Concert/Orchestral instrument attraction versus like.. Guitar, Bass, Drums, rock band type attraction.

I am a flautist, saxophonist, pianist, piccolo player and soon to be violinist, but im attracted to people who can play/appreciate music well regardless of if they are a lead guitar in a band or a clarinet player : P I dont see the difference. Maybe because in the past being in band or orchestra was seen as super nerdy (it still kind of is.. but we've reclaimed band geek-hood for the better :grin:) where as being in a band (like with a guitar, drum, bass, etc etc.) was seen as super sexy, rebellious, bad boy type. Its just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

I plan to major in either Flute Performance or Music Education when I graduate next year and go to college.

Music is very important to me, but I think that I could easily be in a relationship with someone who is not dead set on music. It doesn't have to be their life goal; they dont have to play any instrument. But i think it would let me get to know them better if we at least partially related on what i consider my passion. To draw a line, I think I couldn't be interested (romantically) in a person who is the kind that dislikes classical music, or is generally closed minded when it comes to music. I think it says something about a person's sensitivity, open minded ness, and general spirit and in my life people who are the kind im describing generally don't get along with me for other reasons. Chances are we'd be a bad fit.

But like... i could be with a lawyer, a teacher, a doctor, a plumber, an engineer.... anything xD music being important would be great, but as long as they don't hate it mindlessly (or without any real thought as to why) they are ok in my book :slight_smile:

This reminds me of something though. Current guy im crushing on is the bad boy guitar player dude who is a complete hipster in terms of music. He knows his bands, where as I'm a pop music lover, and he think its all vapid and soul-less. He always talks about being unable to find someone romantically who appreciates music as much as him, and im just like dying on the inside because we bond about our love for music all of the time --- but we are from two different musical realms xD its so sad...

His realm and mine need to combine and end the stereotypes once and for all.

Also high five for "effeminate" Flute players. I wasn't nearly as effeminate as I am now when i started playing the flute, and i dnt really understand the correlation between sexuality and instrumentation. I just love beautiful sounds.. the flute makes me happy and generally higher pitch sounds are more pleasant to my ear. Also a reason why i heavily prefer female vocalists over male vocalists generally.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Vladimir Horowitz, the great pianist once said that there were three types of pianist: Jewish, gay, and bad.

Don't know if that's true, but it is interesting that he said it.

10. blond

There is something attractive about someone who plays the piano or violin.
    The way some people play is just amazing.