1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother is a homophobe.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thekillingmoon, Feb 11, 2014.

1. thekillingmoon

Today she was reading the news and said how the world's gone mad and Russia's doing everything right banning gays. I'm not even surprised. It's just sad. Now I don't feel like ever coming out to my parents.

Anyone else has homophobic parents?

2. awesomeness

Mine aren't. But honestly, if you're independent from your parents and you can take care of yourself, then who cares what she thinks? That's my philosophy. She has lived her life the way she wanted to, so it's not fair that you have to restrict yourself because of her

And I'm guessing you're in Eastern Europe, since that's the more conservative part of Europe

3. Nikky DoUrden

I won't come out to people who don't deserve to know it, and ye some family members got into that list.
    Was it important for you to come out to your parents at some stage?
    When you're depandent and have a solid job and people who support you, then u could try coming out to your parents so even if they won't accept it (and as u say they probably won't), it won't affect u as much (*hug*)

4. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My actual parents are not, but my best friends mum and dad are as good as parents to me and a few times her dad has made some homophobic comments, I just told my friends mum that it made me uncomfortable because my brothers gay (I'm not out to them yet) and I assume she spoke to him because he hasn't made any comments recently. Luckily I don't think he truly means it and that when I do come out he'll just take the piss out of me a bit but that's normal for him. I'm really sorry that your parents are like that though, good luck for whatever/whenever you decide to tell them.

5. thekillingmoon

I wish I could say that. The truth is if my family rejects me I will be completely alone.

Of course, I'd like to come out and be accepted for who I am instead of living in the closet. Isn't that important to everyone?

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes both my parents are homophobic my mom and my dad and my mom said being lesbian or gay is a vice and it's all about sex even makes fun of how lesbians have sex . My dad says gay men are disgusting and lesbians can be turned my a guy would great sex skills my mom also agrees with this . The homopobia is rich at my house .

7. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I was younger my parents used to say pretty hateful things. They usually don't anymore because they know I think it's disgusting. I think they still are homophobic though.

8. blond

My parents are religious so yes.

9. Oxelotl

My parents are quite homophobic yes. To the point where they don't trust me around my cousin (who's gay) because they assume that 'being at an impressionable age' that I'll turn Gay by being around him, and that gay people are only interested in turning other people gay. I should probably tell them I was gay before I even knew my cousin was gay. Oh well! Best you can do is surround yourself with supportive friends, and so when you tell them (if you choose to) you can have a safety net? I don't know how to help sorry :slight_smile:

10. Nikky DoUrden

So thats why you need to be independant, and maybe even have a girlfriend, so u have a "safety rope" :slight_smile:

For me, I don't mind "being in the closet" for certain people, if I know its not important for me that they will know. It is not something that I want to define me anyway, because as someone signature says, im a person first :slight_smile:

11. thekillingmoon

Sounds bad. :icon_sad: Do they know about you?

I want a girlfriend, the only question is where to find one. I don't even have any lesbian friends.

I agree, being gay is not everything there is to a person. I just feel like a liar when people talk about their relationships and wish me to meet the right guy. Makes me wonder if they would say the same thing about meeting the right girl if they knew I liked women or would they say it's wrong.

12. BelleFromHell

My family is full of Republicans, so yeah...
    They aren't homophobic to a violent extent, but they're homophobic enough to think that I should get a civil union instead of marriage because "god made marriage between a man and woman" and they supported Don't Ask Don't Tell.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    they don't know I'm a lesbian and my mom is scared of lesbians and gay men that don't fit the stereotype of how gays are suppose to be .

14. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

I honestly don't see why parents have to know.. I don't mind them not knowing. They don't need to know and I don't need them to know that I'm bi. They wouldn't take it well..cause they're both homophobes.. and so are nearly 99% others in the society I live in. I can't really blame them.

15. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people

My family is the same way. My mom told me to stay way from my neighbor who transitioning from female to male because she'll convert me.