1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Wonen's attitudes to Gay Men

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

If some straight men ogle lesbians and try to turn them, then do some straight women think that way towards gay men?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't know if It's as common. However I've had straight female friends that were obsessed with yaoi to a high extent that they would pry into the personal lives of actual gay men and ask them private questions (Ex: Who tops/bottoms?).

I thought it was pretty creepy honestly.

3. FrozenFae

Don't know how common it is either, but I have a straight female friend who openly admitted to me that she has a crush on me, and tried "winning me over" before I set her straight (pun ever so slightly intended)

Also, I have known quite a few straight women who admit they prefer watching M/M erotica. Could be the same logic straight men use when they watch lesbian erotica perhaps.

4. NorthernKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've mostly only seen men try to "convert" lesbians. But there are a lot of women who pry like Fallingdown7 said above.

5. Sarcastic Luck

Yes, there's women that try to convert gay men.

6. Gen

Gen

Straight men fixate on lesbians in the name of sexual fantasy, but straight women fixate on gay men in the name of romantic ones.

From my experience, the negative aspects of that way the homosexual men are viewed by heterosexual woman are much less pointed out and scrutinized than the view of heterosexual men on homosexual women. This is because the sexualization and fetishization of women by men is seen as disgusting and unacceptable. Not that it deters certain men from continuing to do so, only that most people in society would at least vocally acknowledge that it is negative and an issue.

The problem with homosexual men and heterosexual women is that those standards are not held towards women nearly at all. It is widely acceptable for a woman to sexualize, fetishize, and objectify a male because in the mind of our heterosexual-normative society he will enjoy it. He will be amused by sexual and romantic advances because he is a sex-crazed creature and, by simply being a woman, she will be his type.

This is something that needs to be confronted in society, because the idea that "if a woman rejects a man, it is because he is an asshole; however, "if a man rejects a women, it is because he is an asshole and cannot see how amazing she really is" is very detrimental to the way each gender is viewed. In my experience, this ideal hinders the concept of rejection and acceptance of rejection in the minds of many heterosexual women in society. I have been put in a number of situations with straight women that were clearly not 'ok', but they were brushed aside as minimal or comedic issue simply because I was male and she was female.

7. awesomeness

I'm sexually attracted to girls, but I have ZERO emotional/romantic connection with them. So I like the sex itself, but if they start getting too unplatonic and affectionate, it starts getting awkward for me

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This question has been asked elsewhere online, and honestly, the vast majority of the women who have responded have been neutral towards gay men, more-or-less, with a small number totally obsessed with fan fiction/yaoi/slash or gay male culture, and another minority who is absolutely disgusted with gay men and/or the act of gay sex. I don't think you'll find one answer, since straight women are individuals first and foremost, with their own experiences, values, and perceptions.

Most are willing to be friends, at least, but have zero interest in dating or going further with someone who could never be attracted to them in that way, which to me is understandable, since I also quickly lose interest in someone who has none in me. Maybe it's some subconscious form of self-preservation?

Thank you Gen, this message needs to be said, even if it makes some people uneasy. I think as gay rights and visibility increases, these types of issues will be brought to light, and progress in all areas will become more probable. In the worst cases, I've heard of men being sexually harassed, but staying quiet, since, you know, it's just "harmless fun" and men should be able to "take it".

One thing I cannot stand are when straight women patronize gay men (many who allow themselves to be, equally as infuriating), while vilifying lesbians (much like there are straight men who will gay bash gay men, while objectify lesbians... far from the "acceptance" many people seem to think they're granted from society).

There are also those who feel entitled to sex with all men, and will become resentful when rejected and try to take revenge, as childish as it might sound. A true feminist would not support this type of behavior or double standard at all, and would want men to speak up when made to feel uncomfortable.

9. Not exactly a sexual thing, it's more of a like "OMG, let's go shopping!" reaction.

Some straight girls believe that all gay boys like going shopping, getting our nails done, just everything a stereotypical girl would love.

10. Sarcastic Luck

Lolno. Do you know how many damned fanfics there are written by straight women where two straight, male characters are paired together just so they can fuck?

Hint: A lot.

Aka know as: mxm, slash, yaoi.

11. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not all i think theyre cute and hot i just check them lol some women do

12. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A straight female friend of mine had an OBSESSIVE crush on my bisexual cousin about a year ago, and he got rather creeped out by it, and people used to say that he turned gay because of her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: that's not true at all but it was a funny thing.

13. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldnt say obsessive lol i crushed on a guy for 3 yrs in highschool

14. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    By obsessive I meant intense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Once he left some shoes with a friend of his. She befriended the friend and persuaded him to give her the shoes so she could meet him and give them back. And she got his landline number from somewhere and tracked down his house with it and she frequently went for "walks" in that neighbourhood. Things like that. It was VERY VERY intense.

15. EmilyKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a little surprised at the idea of women trying to turn gay men. I mean, I have a few gay friends but the idea has never occurred to me before at all, though I HAVE heard girls when laughing with them say things like, "Oh, if only you liked girls" or "One of these days I'll get a sex change for you" jokingly, but personally I think it's a bit... rude/awkward? Idk, it makes me uncomfortable.

16. C P

C P

The bolded especially. That in particular bugs me because guys can be sexually harassed by females as well but, instead, the guys tend to just be seen as laughing stocks simply because it is a woman doing it and, thanks to society, he should be able to 'take it(and will automatically enjoy it)', as mentioned above. This makes it easier for them to feel that it isn't worth bringing up.

Okay, that is creepy on so many levels, aha.

Just as grave mentioned with the 'revenge' mindset, you'd be surprised how many crazy ladies are out there as well. It's one of the things that is kept quiet for numerous reasons, some listed already.

17. 7eye

7eye Guest

This is interesting, as if a guy were to try and, like, stalk a lesbian, he's a criminal, while straight women can get away with it by doing the same to gay men.

18. Mysz

Unfortunately, while women do have quite a lot of rights nowadays in civilized countries an have good opportunities, they are still viewed in a certain way... people can accept the fact that men might rape women, but they can't seem to grasp that it can work the other way around too. Same goes for creepy stalking/obsessions.

I sincerely doubt that most female watchers of yaoi on youtube are there not thinking it's hot in any way.