1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And that is why you never tell anyone you're gay in an MMO.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Typhoon, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Have you ever played an MMORPG? I have done so, and there was a particular one where after playing for a few months, I came out as gay. Most of you would answer as to why I came out on a gaming forum (which did accept off-topic stuff) but the truth was that I was coming out to a friend of mine (and also a therapist) so I wanted an accurate impression of what whether it was ''safe'' to come out and the mentality young people had.

Well in short, I ended up having death threats, people telling me to go kill myself etc. etc. and the moderators even threatened to ban me for provoking them (me coming out was the provocation) I only stayed there for 3 months, and nearly two years later I randomly log in on an alt only to find that my old username was the most popular search word there, and that only yesterday several players mentioned me and here is one random quote:

''--- is gay. Being gay is one of the worst you can be. Therefore, --- is part of a group of the lowliest scum to walk the planet.''
    EDIT:

Someone asked this: ''That's not what I meant. I meant why he hates homosexuals.''
    The guy replies: ''Because it's wrong.''

...:bang:

Because its wrong
    There are a lot of others, enough to fill volumes, but you get the gist. Still, quite mild compared to the stuff I faced when I was an active member.

Moral of the story, coming out on an internet gaming forum is the equivalent of a chain reaction :rolle:

On a side note: I also came out on another gaming forum and whilst the reaction was nowhere near as hostile, I faced a lot of negativity to the extent that a Moderator on that forum began picking on me and allowed others to berate me openly, yet threatened to inflict punishments everytime I tried to defend myself or even if I said something homoerotic as a joke in context (over which I got punished yesterday :rolle:slight_smile:

Ah well:icon_sad:

#1 Typhoon, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    geez. It just goes to show you how much ignorance there still is out there. I'm sorry you had to experience that. But in a way it's better cuz now you know who you can really rely on and whom u can't. Maybe there are other games you can try in which people will be more accepting :slight_smile: If I were you, I would stop playing or looking in those games. It's not really much help. I am actually surprised people were so rude. But oh well. Now u can just move on to better games involving better ppl :slight_smile:

3. DrkRayne

wow. wow...just...wow. I can't believe that? WTH?
    You know if the MMORPG is nationally owned like WOW or something you can report it to the company and the moderator who allows it will be removed. They can't allow internet bullying anymore.
    I'm so sorry you went though that.
    Stocking, another person on here, came out online and she talks about the number of negative comments she gets.
    I'm so sorry people are ignorant. :frowning2: I wish I could come hug you!

4. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It was hard at the time (for the first one at least), since it was technically my first time coming out (before I even used this site) so it was kind of confusing. Unfortunately, in both cases, both MMOs are ru by a company which is mostly run by Russian staff, so the answer to that would be lolnope.

In case of the second one, I replied to someone who said they ''hated me for associating things with faggotry''. I jokingly replied by entering into the conversation he'd been having with someone else, where he had mentioned Shakespeare. I said ''When Shylock requested a pound of flesh from Antonio, I lost my innocence.'':rolle: The said Mod, showed up and banned me from chat and threatened to extend it to a permanent one if I ever said anything like that again. Note: the other player did not get anything despite using a lot of vulgar lingo in his conversation, which is supposedly bannable in the game :rolle:

Oh well, homophobia at its finest. :/

Thanks for the kind replies, but just putting it up here to save some young naive people like me from getting harassment. Especially on the Internet, everyone feels 'brave'.

5. Nikky DoUrden

MMO and small gaming forums are FULL of kids that love to get others down in order to feel supreme.
    Please understand this is the situation and don't take it to heart :slight_smile:

About the forums - u can always report those kind of moderators to the higher guy in the herierchy.
    If its a decent forum, they'll take care of those mods. if not, that forum is not for u, its for kids :slight_smile:

About MMOs - again u can report people that harras you, depends on how big the game is. For example on WoW or GW u can printscreen and send it to the company email or report system, and they'll take care of it.

6. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That sucks, but something I would have expected. Keyboard warriors. They get real tough, real fast, and will try to bash you for anything. Ahh the internet.

7. ChameleonSoul

Just remember that a lot of people there are just cowards that wouldn't have the courage to say it to your face. Behind that monitor is just some kid that just spews the hatred instilled into their head from the moment they were born.

8. FrozenFae

Just goes to reinforce my belief that the majority of people playing those games are basement dwelling losers who are just lashing out because they're 35 years old, still living with mommy and daddy and angry at the world because the only time they'll ever get laid is by their right hand.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that in any case.

9. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, let's just completely think all gaming forums are blatantly homophobic and it's not safe to come out on them.

For fuck's sake, if you have a bad experience with someone or something do you just completely generalize said person or thing as homophobic or dangerous for LGBT+ people? Because that seems to be what a majority of people seem to do here. :dry:

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not just homophobic bit sexism racism and generally people being jerks in an online setting.

11. FrozenFae

Homophobia and Harassment in the Online Gaming Age - IGN

Don't get me started on the ridiculous amounts of misogyny that takes place in MMOs as well.....

12. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And don't get me started on the fact that people love to then paint everyone with the same brush just justify their own reasons.

13. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Basically this guy -

[​IMG]

Bloody keyboard warriors ruining my beloved gaming:tantrum:

14. Claudette

Claudette Guest

;; Sorry this happened to you =/
    I'm open about my trans status on the MMO I play (friends on there I mean, I'm even in a LGBT guild)
    but I suppose every place is different =3

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

What he said. Many of the players are just immature "no life" kids who will jump on anyone like pack rats in a sewer if they see the opportunity of making a bigoted attack from the safety of an anonymous keyboard in cyber space. If you were standing in front of them ready to kick their ass, their rat tails would be tucked under as they run away from you as fast as they can scurry. Ignore them, just as a wiper blade throws bugs off a windshield effortlessly without due concern, and they cant hurt you either.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't get as bad as you did but it was negative when i came out on mmopg , One of my male friends that I use to play with later bashed me on facebook for being lesbian because I didn't want anything romantic or sexual to do with him . He called me a carpet muncher , also embarrassed me in front of my other friends from the game and told me I'm going to hell for liking girls and I shouldn't be allowed in a church because I'm a lesbian and my mother has a right to hate me for being lesbian .
    when my girlfriend and I played together we some bible belt player told us we're going to hell for sinning but the weirdest reaction I've gotten is when i told male players that I had a girlfriend they would cry or just start swearing . another time some guy said how he had a big crush on me and wanted to be a couple I told him I was a lesbian he got upset and kept telling me that I'm confused and that it's because I didn't find the right man yet . Later on I log in with another character and walked in on a conversation he was having about me with another guy and girl they both encouraging him to try to pursue me even though I said I was lesbian One guy told him don't worry about her she just didn't have a good d**k yet and that's why she thinks she's gay and if she refuses and tells you she's lesbian again say your a lesbian too . Another girl who I think was straight was telling him to act more like a protector and show me how manly he was . It was really weird I've even got into fights with tons of close minded straight guys and some women .

Recently I came out to my other close friends on an online game and told them i'm a lesbian they ended up just laughing one cried because he said now I don't have a chance with you . the other made jokes about it . but the worse I've seen like you sad is the Mods doing nothing about when people say mean things to other gays I remember a player called a guy that was a fa**t and he told the mods and they did nothing .
    The only thing that has helped me on is the fact that I'm a popular player my main character that is and I'm very close friends with the mods so if they saw some one bashing me because I'm lesbian they would be in big trouble but some players are will wait to bash me when the mods aren't around or off the site where like on facebook .

it's a shame that even on online games you can't be who you are and get bashed for it , you've gone through a lot worse than I have and it's a shame those mods don't do anything .

17. ThePhoenix

As a fellow gamer I apologize for the comments and treatment anyone gets that are discriminatory towards you those people are an embarrassment to the word gamer. Some people are just rude and ignorant, what do they think every gamer in the world is straight. I myself have gotten some crap for being a woman so some people have nothing better to do then give out hate and to try and start something. Hope you have some better experiences elsewhere.

18. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never said that, in another MMO I keep in touch with I am still out and I have quite a bunch of fanboys who accept me, but for the wrong reasons, because of the pixellated goods I obtained through trading with other players and making profit :lol:

There isn't necessarily an all. I'm mainly sharing my experiences and suggesting to other people who regularly frequent such sites to be wary about saying something of the sort. The only way it seems that you avoid mud thrown at you is if in your in a position of power or if you're one of the ''kewl guys''.

@ThePhoenix: you don't have to apologize, you're awesome <3 other people simply can't accept that we are truly fabulous:icon_redf The Internet just brings the worst in some people

19. ThePhoenix

Thank you and you are too its just these kinda things that really anger me. Especially, since it was a gaming forum an activity that is supposed to be fun, entertaining and a place where some people go to escape whether it be from their problems, stress, or just to be someone else for a little while. Internet, it can bring out the best and worst out of people.

#19 ThePhoenix, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  20. thekillingmoon

I wouldn't come out on a forum where I'm the only gay person or where gay people are bashed by everyone. I always try to look for a community that is mature and tolerant of all kinds of people. Same thing in games, you can choose who to talk to and if someone is being rude ignore them and avoid them.