1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shattered dreams

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, Feb 14, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a massive bluegrass fan. To me, there are few things that soothe my soul more than a banjo, a mandolin or a fiddle. I adore it. I love country music too. Not to mention Zydeco and Cajun music. Basically the American south has it's shit together when it comes to music.

Once upon a time (and I guess still) one of my big dreams was to one day go to America and hear my favourite music in it's natural habitat. I wanted to visit the Grand Ol' Opry and sit in some bar hearing some nobody play country tunes for no reason. Perhaps go to one or more of the bluegrass/country festivals I know of.

But now I fear I never will, what with my gender and all.

So there's mine, what about yours?

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ever living a normal life, and having normal family relationships.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That got depressing fast! /hug Gaytheist!

4. Nick07

Holly, you can never dream big enough :slight_smile: Because if you are lucky AND you do something to fulfill your dreams, the reality can be even more beautiful than your dream was.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to start a band when I was a kid with other people in my age group in the neighborhood...but that got struck down when I remembered I have no musical talent. I have no artistic talent in general, so there went my second ambition of being an animator and voice actor. (shrug)

6. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

One of my biggest dreams as a kid was to be a concert pianist. (Discovered classical music at a very early age and practically worship it to this day.) Unfortunately, my parents both happened to share the same piano teacher when they were kids, and he happened to be very cruel. He also happened to be gay. From that, they concluded that all piano teachers are gay and cruel, so they refused to let me get piano lessons. :frowning2: Top that off with the fact that I've broken multiple fingers that all healed badly and I realize that my lot is to be an appreciator, rather than performer. (Never stops me from playing "air piano" to my favorite pieces, though!)

Holly, I really don't see any reason why you can't patronize the Grand Ol' Opry some day. Yes, there's bigots down here. But there's also tolerance, in greater proportions than bigotry, I would argue. There are more than a few country stars with a strong queer following (doesn't stop at Dolly Parton). Maybe look up to see if there are queer country/bluegrass fan clubs based in America that organize group trips to the Opry? Either way, don't let anything stop you from putting on your fringe and boots and coming to have a stompin' good time. :slight_smile:

7. ThePhoenix

The way you said natural habitat made me giggle but there are plenty of other places to listen to bluegrass it was based in Appalachia one of the biggest states of bluegrass I would say is West Virginia and my state Virginia and some neighbors so it may not be the Grand ole opry but its something.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hhhm, one of my dreams is to visit the UK. Hasn't happened yet but I'm only 27.
    Pardon my ignorance, what's your gender got to do with coming to America?