1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need Advice about my Dad, Quick!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Please respond lightning fast. I'm not sure if anyone had seen Waterloo Road Season 6, but there was a gay storyline and I paused it at the part where Nate and Josh were about to kiss. He said he was deeply disturbed by what he saw, and that he needs to root out the "Cancer" from the family. I'm wasn't sure whether to laugh at his ignorance or be hurt. He wants to talk to me now. What should I do?

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is anyone else home?

3. ZenMusic

My Mum is, but I'm beginning to doubt whether she was on my side or not...

4. Imsoweird

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk what you should do, sorry. I take from your out status that your not out to him so I guess, just keep it in and try not to upset him? Sorry that I don't have any good advice.:icon_sad:

5. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "root out the "Cancer" from the family"

"He wants to talk to me now"

What is he referring to with those quotes? Does he know about you?

6. ZenMusic

He's just saw it, he said these things could mess your mind up and from this day forth, I am not gay. If I am, he doesn't know me anymore, and I'm not his child.

7. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awww man, I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say right now. Hang in there bud.

8. NobleCrown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What a... :frowning2: Oh, honey, I'm so sorry.

Take a breath... don't do anything right now. Your mom and sister already know, so that's some support.

9. Sarah257

Wow... I don't know what to say. I see you're 14, so it will be a while before you can get out on your own. Unfortunately there are going to be difficult times ahead. You are eventually going to have to make a choice as for what you are going to do. Do you risk coming out and being yourself at the cost of those you love? Or do you stay quiet and hope the don't find out? I can't make your choice for you. Only you can do that yourself. I will say this though, denying who you are is rough and can lead to extremely destructive behavior. Do you value who you are?

10. ZenMusic

My sister says I could come live with her if things get really bad, and I can feel it will be, and if I don't get out of there soon, my Dad will drive me to suicide.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 03:50 PM ----------

My Mum was the one who caused this mess in the first place by telling my Dad something she had no right to.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 03:50 PM ----------

And I don't think she realises the damage she's caused.

11. Sarah257

Owww... getting outed by your mom is rough, but please don't hold a grudge for that. She was probably trying to help even if she was misguided. I know it's a little difficult to look on the bright side right now, but as you said, your sis is there to help you. Something to consider is if you decide to be yourself around your dad and he flips out and turns his back on you, Do you really need him? Yes, he may never speak to you again, but would you want to speak to him if he can't even accept you?

Now a word of caution about coming out ro him officially. Some people have beliefs so deep that they may do something that you never thought they would. Ask yourself this, Is his reaction likely to get violent? If so, it may be best to wait awhile. I know that's a hard thing to do, but if you die you will never be able to find happiness. Take precautions and be smart. Having the police nearby may be a smart move in case the worst thing should happen.

Never forget who you are though and do what you feel is right. I hope this helps.

12. ZenMusic

He said some pretty horrible things, about how I don't need to live a sick and twisted life, and live a normal one and be a decent human being. He then went to say where I came from, which was a woman. And that he will live to see the day I come home with a girlfriend.

13. Foster

If things get bad hun, go live with your sister. Trust me. I moved in with my sister about a year ago because my mom was treating me really bad, and things got so much better afterward. You need to be in an environment where you are loved and supported for exactly who you are. Good luck, and don't worry, things will get better (*hug*)

14. ZenMusic

I told him Mum told him because I was too scared to. And then he started saying about how being gay isn't who I am, and that it doesn't matter at the moment, because I'm young. I don't think I've ever hurt this much in my life, even when he did emotionally abuse me, and listening to music only seems to amplify the hurt.

15. Foster

I also want to add that I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. A parent should love you for who you are, not for who they want you to be. You are perfect just the way you are, your dad is just ignorant. Don't let his words effect you too much. What he said is not a reflection of you, but rather a reflection of poor parenting from him.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always message me.

16. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sometimes u gotta pray that kind of bigotry leaves nd hold ur tongue ,as much as i wanna tell off my dad off i cant bc hes my dad and pray that ignorance leaves him bc hes so loving.

17. Sarah257

Pardon me for being blunt about this, but the bold speaks for itself. Your dad is being a jerk; he seems to have no compassion. If someone refuses to listen to you and constantly belittles your feelings then you are almost certainly better off without him. Has he ever actually been supportive of you or showed that he cares? I'm trying to not be too critical of him, but it sounds like he's not all that great of a person. Perhaps if you can find out why he feels that way you can work from there and better your relationship with him. He may be doing this out of some misguided protection instinct or something, but I don't have enough info to help you more than this at this point. Ideally I would like to see your family get over this rough spot together and come out of it stronger, but sometimes you can't get what you'd like. All I can say is, try to salvage this, but be ready to sever ties if there are no other options.

(p.s. it may take time for everyone to come to an understanding, so if you proceed with this please take you time)

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your mum knows and is supportive, it is possible that what you are seeing is a normal (if exaggerated) part of his process of coming to terms. Everyone goes through stages in processing loss (in this case, loss of perception that you;'re straight). The stages are denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. So this is a classic anger response to a child coming out.

Keep in mind too that most straight men don't do strong emotions (particularly fear or grief) well, and those are the underlying emotions driving his anger. The "I don't know you if you are gay" is a form of bargaining: "Ok, you're gay, but I'm going to force you to be straight" Most likely, once he realizes this isn't a choice, he will come around.

I do suggest that in the meantime, if things are still difficult, you stay with your sister. But I suspect he will come around soon enough. If not, talk to one of your teachers or your school guidance counselor or social worker. What he's doing, if it continues, is child abuse, and CPS can get involved and help him understand that he needs to change his tune.

19. ZenMusic

I really, really, really want to get away before it gets worse, he wants to know what's on my phone now, to see if my mind is being poisoned. Not only that, it isn't the first time My Mum has told Dad about our sexualities. My older sister thought she was a lesbian at my age, she was actually Bisexual after she kicked her out for some letter.

20. Techno Kid

So your dad has a history of kicking his kids out over their sexuality? I really think moving in with your sister would be best... this is not a safe environment to feel happy and be yourself. :frowning2: