1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being wrong about being gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone have experience with thinking you are gay and discovering later that you are straight or bi?

2. Minamimoto_Fan

I thought I was bi only to try and convince myself that I would still get with a woman. After a year or so, I just basically said, screw it, I'm gay

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, it went something like straight ---> gay? ---> bisexual (pan works, too)

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never thought I was straight, but I thought I was a lesbian. Had a romantic relationship with just one guy friend for 8 months last year. Now we are just roomates, no desire for him, but also little desire for women either. I still love him emotionally. I thought (and he did too) that whatever happened last year was over, and I was back to being a lesbian or something. Found out recently my recent asexuality is the result of a hormonal imbalance brought on by a treatable medical condition. So after my body gets straightened out maybe things will be back to normal or maybe not.

I've been told that I was probably bisexual all along, just never realized it because I'm not just bi, but also demisexual, particulary when it comes to guys. I wasn't in love with the boys I dated in HS, and only dated them to try to be straight, or make it appear that I was. When they or I tried to do anything sexual, I couldn't bring myself to do it. For girls things felt natural, if I at least liked them, so I assumed that I was a lesbian.

My attraction to my guy friend wasn't based on physical features but on my love for him. My attraction to him occured despite him being a guy, not because of it.

I have a friend who has known she's bisexual since high school, but for her no heavy romance is required for a enjoyable sexual relationship. She is equally physically attracted to men and women.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to try to convince myself I was at least bi, but no I could never deny the fact that I am sexually attracted to men and men only. However, I do tend to stare at cleavage when I have the chance, I figured I'm a 5 on the kinsey scale if anything.

6. KWDBM

*raises hand* Although I don't think I was "wrong" about being gay.... I was going off the information I had at the time. I'd only ever been attracted to women, only been in relationships with women, so naturally I must be a lesbian.

I'm still not certain what label fits me best, but I'm at least bi. Possibly pansexual, not sure.

7. biggayguy

I went from thinking I was str8 to thinking I was bi' to knowing that I'm gay.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is exactly how I felt too. Has something happened to make you question your label?

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

For me it was the reverse.

As a preteen and younger = Straight
    Age 14 = Bisexual
    Age 17 = Biromantic Asexual
    Age 19 = Homoromantic Asexual
    Age 21+ = Homosexual

A lot of discovery for sure.

10. Gallatin

This is pretty much how it went for me as well.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Early puberty to about 13: heterosexual
    14: bisexual, deeply closeted
    16: openly bisexual
    18: openly gay

12. girlonfire

I thought I was bisexual for a while, and now I THINK I'm gay--but am still not entirely sure. Being asexual has it's downsides, hahaha

13. Who knows

Who knows Guest

As a child, I felt "straight; I was convinced up to the age of 10 I was straight because of both physical and emotional attraction to certain girls I was close to and movie actresses.

Then by 12, I started to question my sexuality and denied the feelings and thoughts of being gay until I was 14, of which were not focused upon anyone remotely close to me i.e. around around the county I live in. I was still attracted to females but the physical attraction I had for males increased as time went on.

However, a year later I stumbled across this site and I learnt more about sexuality.
    I began to understand what sexuality was to me and how different yet somewhat intrinsic it could be with the emotions I felt.

Up to now (and possibly in the future) I know I am bisexual; although the people I know and meet aren't exactly what I am looking for (mainly due to differences in levels of maturity and intellect). I've also understood that rather than just physical attraction, I need to be emotionally attracted to someone for me to be ever fully attracted to them.

14. Pixelbro

You see the thing is that over the course of teenage years the brain is developing a lot. By the time you're in your 20's, that's (I'm guessing) about where your sexuality is absolute. Two years ago I used to find women attractive but now I don't.

15. Cygne

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to think I was bisexual, but now I've found that I'm actually pansexual.
    I think the reason is that I didn't know about pansexuality when I thought I was bi. Also, sexuality is a fluid thing, there's nothing wrong with your sexuality changing over time!

16. gayrudie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Male here, I've had gay thoughts since always. For a good part of my life I thought I was gay and then I suddenly started liking girls as well. At first I was confused and sorta wondering if I was ever gay at all, or whether being bicurious will be just a phase. And then I came to terms with the fact that I'm a bisexual with a preference to men.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but when I came out I typically specified "well, it seems like I'm somewhere between bi and gay - I don't completely discount the possibility of being with a woman."

Actually, I guess I never really took that back. And I still do seem to swing back and forth constantly, I just realized it's more 50-50 than I originally thought.

That and there are some asexual/demisexual leanings going on if I wanted to get very specific.

18. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some days where there have been some worry about being wrong but then something inside of me tells me that there shouldn't be any worry.

19. fullmetalheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    After I could no longer deny that I wasn't straight , I tried to convince myself I was bi( even though I have no interest in males whatsoever.) After I realized that I couldn't be bi I tried to tell myself I was asexual( not true), but then I just gave up and realized I was as lesbian as a rainbow.

20. NorthernKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I basically did this except the "asexuality" came before the "bisexuality".

I guess I had never been too connected with my sexuality. I would develop crushes on guys, desire to be with guys, and I thought myself to be straight as an arrow. Why wouldn't I? But my crushes were always based on admiration, nothing sexual. It came to the point that I realized I was lacking the feelings for the men around me that my hetero friends had. I thought myself to be maybe asexual, but that quickly passed considering I'm very erotic and thinking of sex never repulsed me.
    After finally dating a guy at 15, something seemed to change and I very suddenly and inexplicably found the women around me to be tantalizing. I tried to get away from it. "I'm with a guy." I thought. "I must be bisexual." But I have no desire to be with men, I would never want sex, a relationship, marriage, any of those from them. So that belief died.

I can't explain the sudden shift, I just know I can get aroused just looking at a women and I only want to be with them.