1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Go, Should I Stay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I'm not sure whether to stay with my parents even though I know they don't accept me or should I go live with one of my friends or sister?

2. Nick07

Is it this easy to leave your parents in the UK? In my country the police would find you and bring you back if your parents said you were missing.
    Your parents have some legal duties - to provide for you for example. So, they could get in troubles too.
    You need a lot of money. Can you make it? Can you find a good job at your age? Again, in my country, it would not be easy. I believe it would be almost impossible to hire you legally.

Who will pay for your health insurance?

3. ZenMusic

I can work at my age, I just need to get an employment license.

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2014 at 05:26 AM ----------

It's not illegal but I could get put in a foster home or something, and now's areally good time to get my own job.,

4. Nick07

Just keep in mind that it's not about a week or a month. We are talking about years. Will your sister be willing to support you for that long? Will that destroy her relationship with your parents? What about her partner? Or her future partner?
    Don't do something that can negatively influence a big part of your life.

Maybe you can go to a boarding school? Or rent an apartment with your schoolmates to stay closer to your school and not live with your parents?

5. ZenMusic

My parents have disowned my sister.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your sister over 18? She could apply for a residence order if there is a reason why you cannot return home, but the reasons would need to be compelling i.e neglect or abuse. You can't work full-time at 14, or claim benefits, so living independently would be a non-starter (and it isn't legal to live independently if you're under 16).

I can't imagine your friends' parents willing to accommodate you long-term, either.

I think the only viable solution is to stay with your parents at least until you reach an appropriate age where you can support yourself and live independently.

#6 imnotreallysure, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  7. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi there! As someone who made irrevocable choices in order to escape my parents' home I can understand what you're going through. You must be in an incredible amount of pain as those that are supposed to support and love you unconditionally now are now against you. I am only out to my hetero husband so you're already ahead of me and I'm 28!

If I can make a suggestion without knowing anything about your situation other than what is in this post, write your parents a letter. Tell them how you feel and how the way they're treating you hurts you. Tell them that you know it's hard for them too accept and that you'll give them time but that it's hard for you too. Maybe you've already had this conversation but give it another shot before you move out.

Your parents probably love you more than you can imagine (I'm a mom to 3) and they're grieving for you too. Likely they see the loss of the hetero normative life they had pictured for you (remember, we, as parents, start planning your life for you before you are even born!) and they're probably scared of the hardships they think you're going to face.

Good luck, dearest. Hang in there. You have your entire life ahead of you

8. ZenMusic

My sister is 26.

9. Larry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you need to stay with your parents a while longer, unless your sister is willing to take you in, your a bit young to be going it alone xx

10. ZenMusic

I've had ultimatums from my dad twice now.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did your parents disown your sister for?

12. ZenMusic

For being a drama quee, supposedly.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't go into no foster homes go live with your sister. It can only get better from there.

14. Who knows

Who knows Guest

I think you should also ask one of the moderators on this site for advice, I'm sure they'd be willing to help in this situation and may already have some knowledge around this topic.

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with this suggestion.

It seems like your parents are not very willing to hear what you are saying right now, so I recommend taking a good chunk of time and really pour your heart out in writing. Write with clarity and let them know how badly they are making you feel. Try not to get too angry or threatening, but tell them if they're not willing to be supportive and love you unconditionally that you'll go live with your sister (assuming this is something you've already discussed and she's on board with).