1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT vs LGBTQ

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Querying, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Querying

Out in the world, where I am constantly surrounded by heterosexuals, I have always heard and said the name for our community as LGBTQ. However, here, everybody except me and a few others says LGBT instead. Is the queer/questioning part of the LGBTQ world no longer worth mentioning? Why not?

On top of that, is it that heteros use LGBTQ more and LGBT(Q) people just say LGBT? Why so?

2. FrozenFae

Where I live, most people just use LGBT - not out of any sense of discrimination or negligence on anyone in the community, but mainly because LGBT is a nice small acronym and it would get really awkward to say if we kept adding letters to it, given how diverse sexuality and our community can be.

Personally, I don't think about it that much, but if I run across someone who uses LGBTQ, I'll use it as well because I don't want to offend them by making them feel as though they were left out. Left to my own devices though, I usually stick to LGBT.

3. Nikky DoUrden

I sometimes just say "gay", as in the contrast of saying "not straight" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I do realize there is a lot in between but I think whats important is getting the message through, plus, how to u say "LGBTQ" in RL? u say each letter? then obviously less letters means saying less, and saying "gay" is even shorter ^^
    So there is no offence intended anyway :grin:

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    About 20 years or so ago, I remember hearing the acronym GLB (or was it LGB?) - then more recently with a T and even more recently with a Q so it probably has to do with how long ago posters started to hear references to the "non-straight" acronym.

5. Cerith23

I hear LGBT most often, then LGBT+ a lot. I think the questioning half is always worth mentioning; for people like me the fact that the LGBT community was opening to including questioning individuals made it so that I was able to come to terms with my sexuality. This stops exclusion of questioning people :slight_smile:

6. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because do we really want to have to say LGBTQIAPQACGTGGFTST every time we want to refer to the community?

7. HIL91025

LGBT+ sounds pretty good

8. Sarcastic Luck

I just use LGBT. Any more than that and it starts getting to be a pain to remember.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It can go as far as LGBTQPAATIC
    But LGBT is just as simple as we can put it.

10. KFHarry

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Keep it simple.

11. fairydust

fairydust Guest

I use LGBTQ (occasionally, there are times when I want to 'simplify' it) because I identify as pan, and it's not under LGBT. The Q adds other sexualities under the umbrella, brings it all in.

12. girlonfire

I say LGBT because not to be discriminatory but that's what most people fit under, and it's a lot easier to say (more rhythmic to say four letters instead of five = easier IMO)

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, there was this one time where I referred to it as "LGBTQIAPPINTHEJJLOLOMGWTFBBQ" as a joke. It got old fast.

I see no point in adding queer/questioning at the end, and it's really long.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can add letters until you run out. I prefer to stick to GSM, for gender/sexual minority. It encompasses everything less straight than the trajectory of people's pants to the ground when Tom Hiddleston's around.

15. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I use LGBTQ. It is sorta an insult not to in my opinion. Because it used to be LGB. And then we got the T. And I'm sure you'd rustle some jimmies by leaving the T out. I think the reason you hear LGBT more than LGBTQ is because LGBTQ is less heard of. They only very recently added the Q.

16. Skov

I just like using Queer.

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    QUILTBAG. They exist. I, uh, never saw the need to use more than LGBT. I dunno. People here say 'the gay community' as opposed to 'the LGBT community'. They're usually thinking LGB when they say it. Plenty people here haven't heard of T and Q.

18. Emulator

Most people have never even heard of the T in LGBT, let alone the Q.

19. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in New Zealand it's generally either LGBTTQI (gay lesbian bi trans* takataapui queer intersex) or, increasingly commonly, "the rainbow community". As John Corvino put it in one of his presentations "it's a lot to fit on a T-shirt".

20. Neko Daemon

I actually use LGBTQI for it more than anything else. I'm not sure why some names are favoured more than others, but I think it mostly depends on the area that you live in or are around. I have friends from all around the world, and I've noticed that there are patterns to how they all refer to it. Not sure if that's just a coincidence or not though, so... *shrugs*

#20 Neko Daemon, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014