1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have been feeling so very nostalgic lately... a word of advice, please?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gia K, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there, guys!

First of all, I want to say that I'm sorry for not checking in for the past 2 weeks or so, I had my internet connection no hold because I didn't have any money to pay the bill for it. I have actually missed the community here, which I think is kind of amazing, because it shows how much people can reach to each other through kindness and understanding. Smooches to all of you! (&&&)

Okay then. The issue here is that, as I've already mentioned in the title, I have been feeling very nostalgic and melancholic lately about the past years. The frame is kind of like this: last year I finished highschool and after that, I couldn't afford going to college and my parents insisted for me to stay home and study and do my thing while they do the working because I'm their only child and they love me too much to send me to look for a job instead of getting ready for college like most people, and they promised that they would their best so next year we can afford sending me to college. Anyway, due to the increasing feeling of loneliness and letting life pass me by, I've recently decided to take on a job because I need to go back to the world.

The sad thing is that only now, after those years have passed, I realize how great things were through, believe it or not, highschool and how happy, yet unaware of it, I was. Has it ever happened to you? To realize just how good you were doing during a certain time only when it's all gone and that up until that point you were so ignorant about how actually happy you were back then? Well, that is what I am feeling right now. I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with highschool years, but in my case, lucky me, I don't think it could have been better, and unfortunately, it's just now that I became aware of it. I had such lovely classmates with whom I got along so well, I was surrounded by people who tought quite highly of me, the group of friends that I would smoke and laugh my ass off in the highschool bathrooms with, the teacher with whom I was infatuated and who constantly praised me to my fellow classmates, who even called me a genius lol :lol:, who made sure I wasn't getting in any trouble and got away with everything and asked for absolutely *nothing* in return, again, my nice classmates who responded positively when I told them I liked girls, the lovely school librarian who let me spend hours in the library instead of going to class and let me get away with many months of not returning the books on time, the friend who wrote me letters and shared my passions and views and cared about me and this is not even all of it... honestly, all in all, that was a time when almost everything fell into place for me. And now it's all gone and I can't help but feel so very, very nostalgic about it. One, because my life was wonderful and I was so happy during those times but I still kept on whining on how bad I was doing blah blah and was extremly ungrateful about all the good things that I had going for me, and two, because right now I feel kind of lost and unsure about the future that awaits me. It's this transition to adulthood that I have difficulties dealing with, it's like time has passed, but my inner self refuses to move on.

I've always known that I'm more of a melancholic soul, but this nostalgia that's set in is making me constantly think and yearn for the past... it's not healthy, I know, and I also know that I'm feeling sorry for myself too much and I should take more action, but sometimes it just feels so real, I miss those times so much that I can actually feel a sort of real ache in my chest. I hope that with getting the new job and entering a new community of people will help me let go and accept the past as the past, because that's what it is... right?

I truly hope I didn't bore you, I needed to let it out. I'm also curious to know if you guys have ever felt or had to deal with something like this... feeling very nostalgic, melancholic over something and not being able to help it and maybe how did you learned to cope with it, I don't know. Share me your toughts, good or bad.

It's so good to be back!
    Big hugs!(&&&)

2. Techno Kid

I know exactly where you are coming from here!! :slight_smile: The only thing is I've been feeling that way since before the start of my last year of high school (now I'm 22 going on 23 :frowning2: )... I think for me it has to do with getting further and further away from being a child and it just makes me sad...

I don't really have any advice for you though... sorry. :3 (*hug*)

3. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww, thank you anyway :* I find it helpful enough that you can relate to my issue here, I guess it does have to do, as you point out, with having to grow up and thus drift away more and more from your child self and it is indeed quite sad... Maybe we should just find a way to somehow manage to keep that inner part of ourselves alive without letting it affect our developpment, lol it sounds so easy in theory..

*sigh*

4. IJustWantToLove

Hey Gia K =)

First of all, it's awesome that you have such great memories of your highschool years, 'cause you'll catch yourself every once in a while thinking back and by the sound of it it will raise a smile rather than bringing tears to your eyes, even if you feel nostalgic.
    At least that's how it is for me. Whenever I see old pictures or read something I did for school still stored on my pc or meet up with old friends it comes with memories I'm incredibly thankful for having.

I think growing up is kind of scary, like you and Techno Kid said, especially if you're not sure yet what the future holds for you. When I was finished with school and applied for universities and weren't accepted for the course of studies I planned on doing it was like my whole world collapsed and I was at a loss of what to do. But once I worked out an alternative everything got better.

I guess probably the uncertainty of what the future beholds combined with the responsibility to for the first time taking charge of one's own life and not completely relying on doing what others say, but finding one's own place in the world, is what makes us think back to the 'good old days' when you didn't have to care for anything really.

I think in a couple of years, when you think back to the current time, there will also be moments of perfect happiness and precious memories you recall, even if you don't realize this right now because you think your past was way better than your present is.

Hope this helps =)

5. Sarah257

Have I felt nostalgia? Sure. In highschool I was the person that many people came to for help. Whether for emotional support of academic "enlightenment" as it were, I felt useful. I also had a lot more friends and socialized much more. Then I remember the bad times. I had quite a few and yet despite this I sometimes feel nostalgic. However, listening to other people talk about there pasts and thinking about my own, I have come to the conclusion that nostalgia is a trick of the mind. You probably weren't as happy as you remembered; time and your current circumstances warp your perception of what it was really like. It's your brains way of coping, and really isn't accurate. I don't mean to be a downer, but seriously, nostalgia can easily get away from you and make you more depressed. When you start making future descisions based on a an idealized reality (which is basically what nostalgia is) you are going to have some problems. Nostalgia can be great; it can help pick you up when your down, but do not focus on regaining what is presented in the nostalgia. It will only lead to pain and insanity.

And now a dancing banana to help lighten the tone! (!)