1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is bisexuality gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ba92, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Simple question with no simple answer.
    To help this conversation roll smoothly, I 'm bisexual(leaning more towards women) in Michigan. I have a few gay friends but almost all of my close friends are straight. Which make sense, I guess, because I relate more to straight guys.
    I don't label as gay, I'm not gay, I'm bisexual and that to me is a big difference. Only a small portion of my life involves my sexuality and even a smaller portion involves homosexuality. Every conversation I have about this subject I get the same answers, "But you're still apart of the LGBT community" or "Bi is always associated with gay".
    I personally don't like being called gay and will say no if someone ask me "are you gay?" Am I splitting hairs here?

2. Nikky DoUrden

Well thats your choice really :slight_smile:

3. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol yes, I know that. But is it splitting hairs?

4. Gen

Gen

Bisexuality is certain not synonymous with homosexuality, but if they are saying that you are still tied to the LGBTQ community or that there is a connection between bisexuality and homosexuality, then there aren't wrong in that. Bisexuals should not be brushed off as gay; however, a bisexual is an individual who experiences both heterosexual and homosexual attraction by definition.

If someone has thought to ask of whether you are homosexual because you seem to have same-sex attractions and you answer simply with no, then I would say that is splitting hairs. In my opinion, someone who was out and comfortable with their sexuality would just correct someone who is confused about their sexuality. Simply denying the question and not saying anything more would just lead them to believe that you don't have same sex attractions at all.

5. Nikky DoUrden

I dunno what "splitting hairs" means but by the name of it I guess it means "being picky", and again its only up to u :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Myself I call all LGTB people gay.
    Maybe because its a shorter word. :grin:
    And of course I mean no offence in it!

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay is used both for homosexual males and as a general term for all people with homosexual attractions, but that latter usage is more of a shorthand. I think of bisexuals as being both gay and straight.

7. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Is bisexuality gay? Well it damn sure ain't straight. If you label yourself as bisexual, then by it's definition, yeah, you are partially gay.

It's not something that bothers me, personally. If someone asks if I'm gay, I'll say that I'm bi. But I definitely won't get offended if I'm assumed gay. Well, because, I am kinda gay. If you're in a relationship with another guy, nobody is going think that you're straight or bi. You'll appear gay to everyone, as you should.

If someone asks if you're gay, what do you tell them? Do you just say, "no", and move on? Or do you say, "no, but I am bi"?

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gay in the sense that you're not straight, and instead fall into the queer, lgbt, sexual minority camp, but I've always seen that as somewhat of a lazy term to describe us. It's a separate orientation, and how you choose to affiliate and identify will play a part in that. I know certain bisexuals who have zero interest in community involvement, and a few who don't even describe themselves in those terms; they're more "invisible" and mingle in the "straight" world.

9. sungoesdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I identify as bi, and in my mind I am not gay- there is a massive difference. But I do think of myself as somewhat gay. You'll probably get lumped in with gays a lot- but that's just part of being bi and being amazing.

10. yidnah87

It's not gay, it's bi. Calling a bi person gay is a form of bisexual erasure.

11. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, if someone ask if I'm gay I'd say no.

12. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other people don't get to choose how you identify, but as for being part of LGBT, well we can't spell the acronym without you guys. Sometimes I wonder if LGBT(putting all of us together) came about because we all understand what it's like to be different in a hetero-normative society and came together or because society pigeon-holed us all together. Probably a mixture of both.

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'd probably say something more snarky like "only half the time".

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel that you are splitting hairs. I feel that by just answering "no" and leaving it there you are lying by ommision. I understand that technically gay and bi are different but usually the person asking the question actually means "Are you attracted to men and/or have sex with them?". So a blunt "no" to are you gay isn't a lie but not following it up with "but I am bi" is an ommission that would make the answer to the implied question "yes".

This is one of the main reasons i changed from asking "are you gay" to "are you into guys".

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well your only 50% not straight since u don't like the G word. So no no splitting hairs because your not gay just bi.

16. KWDBM

Gay is not bi. Bi is not gay. However, bi IS "half gay" or "partially gay", as per the very definition of bisexual. It's completely understandable to not want people to mistake you for *gay*, but by simply saying "no" when asked, you are in fact lying about the not-straight part of you. Maybe that's completely okay in your eyes, and if so then go ahead. But you tell us you are bisexual; That means a *part* of you *is* gay.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is my thing. I'm bisexual. I like thinking of myself as part of the LGBT community. Maybe it's just because I'm a rebel, but I don't like thinking of myself as "partially straight." Heterosexuality, to the extent I enjoy it, it just part of being a sexual being and finding it very exciting. But heterosexuality, for me, also has degrees of normalcy I don't like. I don't like that, if I were dating a woman, people would think I'm a heterosexual. And that's not just straight people. I also don't want LGBT people to think I'm not on their side, because I am.

18. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    From the majority of the comments here you're as partially straight as I am partially gay.smh

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, and that's fine. There are a lot of straight leaning bisexuals. But what's wrong with being "in the family?"

20. IG88

Them: "Are you gay?"
    You: "Sometimes..."

You put the "B" in LGBT, not the "G," but you're not 100% straight. Telling people that you are gay, or telling people that you're straight would not be an accurate description. When asked if you're gay, if you're comfortable with it just tell them "no, I'm bi."