1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you tell the Difference Between a Men's Magazine and a Rapist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SohoDreamer, Feb 17, 2014.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  2. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I thought they all sounded rapey. But some of the lad mag ones...jesus christ.

Looking back on a few of them though...perhaps not rapey, but if you have to read a borderline smut-mag to figure out that some people have kinks...it triggered my ick bone

#2 Miles16, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  3. Sarcastic Luck

It would have been better had they included the full quote. The "..." means that part of what was said has been removed which can radically alter the meaning of what's being said. Common trick employed in essays where you have to use outside sources.

Quite honestly, with several of them, I could pick out the differences.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're all pretty disgusting as far as I'm concerned, but I could probably differentiate some of them.

5. Gen

Gen

Magazines are vile in general. Even the "Seventeen" and other teenage brands are extremely misleading. The male brands are sexist against women; the female brands are sexist against men. They all encourage horrible generalizations and ideals and they intentionally do so to create more attention grabbing articles. I am pleased that they are a dying breed.

6. Sarcastic Luck

Except said magazines have moved to the internet. They're going to stick around, just in a different medium.

Honestly? Some of the lad magazine ones weren't that bad, more smutty than anything. Quite honestly, I have worse stuff that comes up on my tumblr dash lol.

On top of that, some of the lad mag statements are correct, perhaps they shouldn't be stated as "all women", but there are some women that enjoy being degraded during sex, tied up, etc.

I still maintain that they should have included the full quote though. With the proper sniping, quite innocent things can come across as rapey.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right, ellipses can be used that way, but it's considered academically fraudulent. Remember, these are academic researchers. Jezebel probably didn't remove anything, since they are quoting the researchers.

Some of the rapist quotes were really obvious. I noticed that not a single time in that sampling was the notion of "asking for it" or overt expressions of entitlement to women's bodies ever invoked by someone who hadn't been convicted of rape.

Now, some of the quotes from our lad mags are also examples of individuals who just need to be taken out and shot. For example, whoever the people are who said 4 and 12 need to die. I don't care if they were joking.

8. Sarcastic Luck

It's the media. Regardless, full quotes would have been better. It'd allow for easier fact checking.

9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #4 definitely seemed pretty rapey, but I had a feeling it was a lad mag. My lack of faith in humanity was confirmed.

I think there's a good underlying point to all of this. The kind of behavior that men are conditioned to fit into and women are conditioned to find attractive is not a positive or a civilized one. Our antiquated notion of what masculinity is is a curse, and it needs to die.

That said, I would bet cold hard cash you could quote mine jezebel articles in a similar manner to make them look terrible as well.

10. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They were all pretty bad, some more than others, though I did think there was a difference in tone between mags and rapists (so I was able to differentiate for the most part). Having said that, I was fairly shocked by no.4 and no.12 from the lads mags. That goes beyond smutty really.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I don't happen to think Statement 3 was bad, at least from the perspective of whether or not it's rapey. It certainly is problematic from a slut-shaming angle, but that's a separate conversation I don't want to derail the thread with.

Anal sex is not inherently rapey, and whole lot of people gay and straight enjoy receiving it. A strong subset of those who report liking it talk about enjoying it because it's "taboo" or "dirty" or "humiliating." I would argue that this kind of view is narrow and tired, since the "taboo" around anal sex is actually beginning to slowly break down. It's not the kink it used to be. (Although I suppose in heterosexual communities, maybe it is still a kink.)

Anyway, regarding the "rapiness" of the comment, I didn't see any entitlement to women's bodies being displayed, nor was there a generalization being made about the sexuality of all women (the comment refers to a hypothetical person), nor does it try to attribute consent indicators beyond actually consenting (i.e. how a woman dresses means asking for it).

I think it's pretty significant here that all the rapists in that sampling talked about asking for it repeatedly, and not a single one of the lad mags used that particular trope.

Honestly, even though this study is over a couple of years old by now, I'm considering paying for the PDF because it's so god damned interesting.