1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Acts of Kindness Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Étoile

I was thinking about creating an official Random Acts of Kindness Day. What you'd basically do is display a random act of kindness to anyone you like. It could be your parents, siblings, friends, classmates, boss, co-workers, whoever. The act can be as simple as a hug and 'I love you.' to an expensive gift. I think with all the chaos and hecticness that goes on in our lives, we tend to forget about the ones who we love and this day would be a great way to show your appreciation. I was thinking it could be on August 4th, since there's not many celebrations in August. So, who's with me?

2. LOVEjames

3. Étoile

Damn it! Ah well, at least it's nice to know that I'm not the only person who likes random acts of kindness.

4. LOVEjames

<3 I do it all the time. Hold the door open for elderly people and the disabled. Wave the construction workers (Because God knows, the lady holding the "Stop/Slow" sign has the most horrendous job ever), and help elderly ladies load groceries and stuff into their car. I just hope that they do it in return to someone else if they're able to.

5. grapevine fires

I'm always performing random acts of kindness.

(I can also be a pushover.. that may have something to do with it.)

CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD YET!!

6. Jebs

I think you would be really surprised how much those people make for so little put in. And yea, chivalry is still alive.

7. LOVEjames

Oh, I know they make quite a bit of money, but it just has be insanely boring. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Malchik89

its also partially surprising at how ungrateful people are for these random acts of kindness nowadays. We had to do an experiment on this for psych, observing the behaviors and reactions that result in giving people just random compliments for things they've done

9. Jebs

Well in today's society people have learned to question people's behavior and motives. For instance you do something nice for someone, they don't think, "Aww that's nice", they probably think, "Why is he/she doing this?". Which is kind of a sad mentality. Most strangers just want to be left alone, sit on a subway or metro at 9 in the morning. Packed full to the brim and no one talks, let alone make eye contact. Sad.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    They also endure all kinds of weather! Standing out there in the heat would really get to me!

11. Chaos

We were supposed to have a "Random Acts of Kindess Week" at work, but me and my friend (whose a manager at work) changed the sign to say "Random Acts of Violence Week" and the whole thing was cancelled.

12. bluestlight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm all for a random act of kindness day. the world could always use a bit more kindness.
    that kind of reminds me of a commercial where one guy smiles at someone and that starts a chain reaction and at the end everyone is happy and smiling. it's pretty cheesy, but i love it.

13. MeskElil

Oh yeah, imagine the workers here in SoCal! It got to 108 today, and with each degree it climbed the meteorologists were saying, "Okay, THAT'S going to be the high today." And it just kept getting higher...and higher...
    And we have construction going on all over town. Those poor guys!
    Oh, AND they're oiling the roads. So some people just stand to the side of signs that say "Careful--Slick Roads" and just motion that people be slow. All day long.
    That's the worst!

14. performing random acts of kindness makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, especially when it comes to elderly people who give you that grateful smile, awww *rubs tummy*.

but it kinda annoys me when people don't show any appreciation, like on the bus the other day, i stood up to let an elderly lady on my seat and she was like 'i wondered how long it would take you' when she'd only been standing there for about three seconds and i had a 5 year old cousin to contend with. But i just smiled sweetly and carried on being polite, whilst cursing uncontrollably in my head lol.

but yeah, i suppose holding doors open and the such like kinda comes as second nature to me now, i congratulate my parents for raising me with such morals =]