1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old were you when you knew about your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Leonardo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just curious to see the variety here :slight_smile:

I'm 13 and have only recently realized that I'm bisexual, probably because I have only just started having those sort of feelings at all, if you know what I mean...

(*hug*):slight_smile:(&&&):thumbsup::kiss::eusa_danc:smilewave

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Uhm...I began to have the first signals when I was 8 years old (yeah, I was precocious) but, you know, a child can't understand very well the meaning of sexuality, that I knew when I was 16.

3. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was very young, but didn't really understand sexual orientation? I just knew I didn't like just boys. Probably around the age of 7 or 8. But when I learned about sexual orientation it was just lesbian, I was in 5th grade, so I was about 10? I didn't really find out all other orientations until I was in high school and I didn't think about my orientation until late into high school (I just really wasn't concerned about it, honestly. I was like "Yeah I'm not straight." and just left it at that). I didn't figure out my real orientation until a couple of months ago. So, it's been a long journey for me. Everyone is different, though.

4. Cygne

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I first started suspecting I was not straight when I was around 12, but brushed it off as "a phase". And then I forgot it until I made the conclusion that I am pansexual only a few months ago.

#4 Cygne, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. XTREMEZish

I knew when I was 13

6. Emulator

On hindsight, I've been aware of it since childhood, but I thought it to be normal. Must have been around 12 when I found that most people were crushing on others and talking about love by then, but I wasn't the least bit interested in it.

7. butterfly dust

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was aware I had feelings for people of all genders from around 11, but I didn't really have an concept of orientation until I was a little older. Probably started identifying as bisexual at around 14/15. Kind of thought everyone had bisexual thoughts until I was quite a bit older and spoke to some straight and gay identifying friends about it.

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was around 11 when I started questioning it. Then by the time I was 12 I knew I was a lesbian.

9. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really interesting :slight_smile: Seems like most people were about my age (13) or a bit younger when they first started to question their sexuality, but a older when they actually identified as something.
    Did you come out as soon as you knew, or did you wait? This is a problem for me right now - I'm worried that my family will think I'm too young to know at the moment.

10. zabby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I started having feeling towards other guys around 11 or 12, but I never really accepted them. I just brushed it off, and continued to ignore it. I didn't try to have any relationships in High School, and I kept ignoring it. It wasn't until college where I started questioning myself that I actually accepted it.

So, that happened a few months ago maybe. First one to say age 18!

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say around 4. I knew all along I liked boys. But travelled blissfully unaware through life without knowing that two boys could be together until around 10. I was convinced (and fully prepared, even at such a young age...) I'd have to become a girl in order to be with boys.

Upon realizing that two people of the same gender could be together in a loving relationship, I was sold on the idea.

I've been aware of my sexuality pretty much all along, though mildly ill-informed at first. But hey, aren't we all ill-informed as children at one point or another?

12. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I came out when I was 17. Your family, unfortunately, could think you're just in a phase because of you're very young.

I suggest you to wait. If you come out now, you could be forced to "demonstrate" what really who are and in my opinion this is ridiculous and stressful.

13. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly what I'm worried about. I know it sounds stupid, but because I can't PROVE that I know that I'm bisexual, I don't think that they will believe me.

Thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

14. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, I might be a weird case because my mom was pretty absent in my teenage years despite me living with her. So even though I knew, I didn't say anything and never felt the need to tell her. I'm very chill with my orientation. Like if someone asked I wouldn't hesitate to tell them, but I don't go out of the way to tell people. I just assumed that she knew by how I always defended gay people and how I talked about it so much. But my little sister (who is 17) came out several months ago and somehow I ended up coming out as well? She said something about being pansexual and I was like "Oh yeah, I identify as that too" and my mom was like "What? I didn't know this." My mom is pretty much oblivious to everything, haha.

So it really depends on your family and how they think, honestly. If you think they would make a big deal about it, I would just wait until you were older or you started dating the same sex and go to them like "oh yeah, I'm bisexual. I'm dating a chick right now. Later!"
    But things aren't that simple sometimes, so it's best to use your best judgement and plan accordingly.

15. ZenMusic

About a year ago, but I'm pretty sure I was gay when I was 9.

16. animequeen567

Pretty much what happened to me. Although, I didn't think of it as a phase since I was crushing on one of my best girl friends.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2014 at 11:53 AM ----------

Also, I've known I was pansexual since I joined

17. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and advice :slight_smile: I think I might wait until I'm a bit older to come out, but if the moment seems right (If we're having a convo on sexuality), I don't think I'll hold back.

18. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

You're welcome :icon_wink

19. Praetor

I spent many of my years believing I was straight from the onset of puberty. It wasn't until around 16 or 17 that I admitted same-sex feelings to myself as well. In retrospect, I think I probably ignored these feelings for a long time, refusing to admit to myself, but they were likely there for a very long time before.

At first I was convinced it was a phase, or that I was just "curious". But as the months passed by... I couldn't really lie to myself anymore.

I've come out very gradually. I came out to a few of my friends starting when I was 19, and by this point I'm out to my parents. I still don't talk about my sexuality freely with most people, but that's because I don't think its always relevant. If someone asks, I'll answer honestly.

EC was a huge help, and the first thing I came out to, after myself. It definitely helped give me the courage to be out. Thanks EC!

20. C P

C P

Wow, am I the only one it hit at an older age so far? Mine didn't hit me 'til I was 19/20, out of nowhere. Until then, I was just...there...blah, ha.

EDIT: Looks like Praetor is up here, too...I think.