1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you remember to remember?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ettina, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prospective memory, also known as 'remembering to remember', is the ability to choose to remember something at a specific future time. For example, deciding on Monday that you're going to do X on Thursday, and then remembering that decision at the appropriate time on Thursday.

It's also something I seem to be mostly incapable of doing, due to my high-functioning autism.

I have a question for those of you who can do this - what does it feel like? What goes through your head, when you're deciding to do something in the future, and when you're remembering to do what you decided? How does it work, exactly?

2. Silver Sparrow

I keep a planner, so I usually write down what I need to do, as well as setting a reminder on a device.

It sort of feels routine to me, I guess. I'm not quite sure how it works physically.

3. Sorceress of Az

By taking notes, either written, mental, or digital ones to remind myself, or asking another human being to remind.

4. Fairylink