1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent Reactions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Erivio, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Erivio

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When parents are in denial, or suspect that you're not heterosexual,
    It seems like they immediately and desperately try to find anything that will either change your mind or in other words push you to the opposite gender.

Now I don't think all parents do this,
    but when my mom began to sense that I was gay,
    She immediately tried pointing out any boy and tried to see which ones I liked (which were none).

She would ask me if I liked any boys, and even saved a cut out of a magazine of some guy she thought I'd like and asked me if I did,
    Which, at the sight of him,
    I said he was ugly, and went about my day. (What? He was! XD)

She would (for the next few days) smile at any mention of guy I made,
    and even my dad pushed for me to hang out with some church boy to be "influenced"
    by him.
    Yup, true story!

My friend ( who just happens to be gay) also experienced this, except with girls.

Did your parents do this to you when they suspected that you were gay?

If not what did they do? :slight_smile:

#1 Erivio, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. LongMayIReign

At first my mom was I think a bit weirded out, she kept asking about boys but after a few months she's neutral (doesn't explicitly ask me about any attraction.)

My dad on the other hand, I swear he wants me to be a lesbian lol. Whenever crushes come up it's always "All I care about is your future husband or wife being ..."

3. Saint Otaku

They seem to be blaming my being shamelessly gay on themselves, being filled out their ears with evangelical nonsense.

4. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think my parents suspect I'm gay at all, but if they did, they wouldn't care. I'm pretty damn lucky to have parents that aren't just accepting of all kinds of people, but accepting in a way that they wouldn't care if it was their kid. Like, I think a lot of parents are totally find with people who are gay, but if their child was, they might not be happy or supportive, at least for a while. So yeah, I don't think they'd care, my dad would probably just make some jokes about it, that's his style.

5. Simple Thoughts

Well hmm? Let's see...

I can't say too much about how my mom reacted. In a weird way we've never really talked about it. She knows, hell everyone knows at this point but it's just never really come up.

I think my brother's tried to talk about it before, he was even attempting to be supportive. It's a really uncomfortable subject for me though, I dunno why guy or girl I always feel awkward talking about that kind of stuff. It's just not something I'm good about xD

My dad...

Well allow me to list the various responses

He went with the it's just a phase idea. Everyone seems to like that one I can't imagine why though. It seems like denial at best.

That didn't work so he went with the 'read your kid some lovely stories from the bible' approach. Mainly the ones about killing gay people, but also some stories from revelations which that book gets pretty nasty towards the end >.>

Then he suggested that if I was bisexual I was probably into bestiality too. I mean why not? To be honest though...Gah this is probably not something I should say cause it sooo weird >.< For a little while. I mean for a brief point in time after this I got so beaten down in my head I actually did consider proving him right about that :frowning2: Luckily I have better sense than that though. So yeah...of all the things I've ever said on this forum. Seriously of all of them...this one I'd really rather not talk about >.>

Last I heard now that my brother's living with him again...he watches Duck Dynasty, thinks gay marriage shouldn't be legal, and even wants there to be a 'president of religion' according to my brother. So yeah, I don't think much in the way of progress has come there lol

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my parents found out about the first girl I kissed (my best friend's lesbian sister), they completely freaked out, and forbade me to go there for a while. My bestie's mother and grandmother also didn't want me there, and my friend was mad at me and her sister.

When I came out to them during a phase I went through, at first they didn't talk about it. But then the subject somehow came up and they told me that they don't support it and would never accept it. Then they also brought up the Bible and religion, etc.

My mom then continued to say she brought a daughter into this world, not a son. That was really hurtful because I was still the same person. But she just shook her head in disgust and the conversation pretty much ended there.

Then I went and got myself a girlfriend (my second one to-date, first one was when I was about 16). During another conversation my mother said that if I have someone in my life, I'm not allowed to bring her home. She then basically forced me to break up with my girlfriend, and with tears streaming from my face, I did.

There's this family friend of ours who I've been crushing on for many years, and when I saw him at a party, my heart sank because at the time I was out as lesbian and my girlfriend and I were still together. Upon arriving home my mom said, "Don't tell me you felt nothing when you saw him"

I had to admit to her that I did feel something, and she was almost relieved. And coincidentally I broke up with my girlfriend the very next day...

All of this made me realize that I was actually just going through a phase. At first I thought I was bisexual leaning straight. So eventually I "came out" a third time, as a straight tomboy... My parents are happy now, and my sexual orientation was never mentioned again. Not yet anyway.

So yeah, I got all sorts of reactions from my parents within a period of a month or two! I never want to go through that again :dry:

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Initial reaction: "Whatevs. Why are you so skeptical of us, you parents who have vowed to love you no matter what?"

About a week later: "You're sure you're not gay? And you're sure this isn't a phase?"

Mom's reaction to me coming out as gay: "FINALLY!!"

My dad was in denial of me being athiest until our latest debate. Then he kinda mocked me for it, but in more of the loving way that he usually mocks things. He seems to have more of a problem with me being an athiest more than me being LGBT, since he denied my arguments 3 times in the same debate.

Still seems to me, though, that my parents don't want to acknowledge that I am transgender. When my 5-year-old sister found out I was wearing a bra, she shouted it to Mom as a fact (to say she's a loudmouth is putting it literally), and I was faced with "You're confusing my child" when my sister was actually pretty okay with it.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents didn't care. It was me insisting I had boy crushes, not my parents.