1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Cycling) How do you handle this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Necromancer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

So, I was leaving my college with my bicycle this evening. The stoplight at the intersection out was green, so I began to cross. Once I was in the intersection, the light turned yellow for a split second and then red. There was nothing to do but keep going, since I was already in the street. A car pulls into the intersection and hits my front tire, knocking it out of alignment. At this point, everybody starts blasting their horns and swearing at me to get the fuck out of the street and not fucking run a red light and shit like that, but I could not ride the bike, so I had to walk it out, earning myself even more angry shouting. Just what was I supposed to do? Magically teleport out of the road? Never cross for fear it'll stop being green afterwards? Stop at green lights, itself a wonderful way to cause a hazard and get sworn at? I don't really get what my options were.

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you did anything wrong. You're not psychic, and couldn't tell that the light was going to turn red soon. Don't beat yourself up about it. Sorry about your bicycle though

3. Aquilo

Move to the Netherlands.

You were in the right, but traffic laws and behaviour, traffic lights and infrastructure in a lot of other countries are just not suitable for bicycles or sometimes even pedestrians. :icon_sad:

4. paul samantha

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Part of life! Keep cycling and more careful but know you are the winner!

5. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm assuming you were in the right, if the traffic laws are anything like they are up here. This happened to me in Toronto - except it was a person turning left in front of me and I ran into the side of the car, snapped by bike frame in two places, flipped over the hood, and ended up on my back on the other side of the road.

I recommend lobbying for better bike infrastructure! Bring the Netherlands to North America.