1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual orientation labels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by volleyball girl, Feb 20, 2014.

?

What do you think about labels?

1. They're there for a reason

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. They suck and shouldn't be used

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. They're helpful

50 vote(s)
    50.5%
  4. I don't really care

26 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity, how many of you think that you, or anyone else, had suffered greatly because of labels? I see a lot of people suffering because of labels that were created by society. So many have issues simply because they cannot fit into any one specific category. And that's completely ok. It's not fair that people push others to "make a choice". What do you guys think?

2. Emulator

I agree with your point.

I think that labels are there as general classifiers, but they say nothing of value really. Their meanings already vary, such as people having different definitions for the same label. Some choose to adhere strictly by labels, but that's their choice. At the end we still have a planet full of people - regardless of whichever labels they fit under.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't suffered because of the labels that currently exist for LGBTQ folks, but from experience on EC, I know that many people don't fit plainly into one category.

I think it just helps to have some common terminology for the general feelings that we are feeling. I don't think many people fit easily into one category, so I voted that they are helpful to have, but are not exact.
    Good topic.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

About me, I don't like labels because I define myself as a androgyne person (with male brain) and I can't define myself neither as straight nor as gay (or worse lesbian).

So, I prefer say only "I love girls" or "I'm gynesexual".

Even if almost the people don't know this word. And I'm forced to define myself as gay.

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It varies from person to person, but I think they generally don't help when you're questioning because they often cause you to try and look at the labels to deduce your feelings rather than look at your feelings to deduce the labels. They're convenient as a shorthand to concisely explain your attractions to someone, so they make communication easier, but apart from that they don't have any intrinsic value and it's not like we *need* them. Like anything else, there are good, bad and neutral aspects. All in all they have their place and do help some people, but people shouldn't be put under so much pressure to have a label, I reckon.

6. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely agree with you guys. I also think that to some extent they are helpful, but I don't like the people feel pressured to try and fit themselves into a particular label. It is that pressure from surrounding individuals that makes labels somewhat frustrating to deal with. Thanks so much for replying guys. I hope that this thread can help those who are confused to understand that they don't necessarily need to fit into a label. You just have to be true to yourself. The rest will follow. It's always important to have support from people that are genuinely open and judgment-free. This is definitely a great community filled with individuals with those qualities :slight_smile:

7. FrozenFae

My motto in life has always been "live and let live" I won't butt into the life of someone else if they reciprocate the feeling.

That being said, I have no problems with labeling myself as gay, just as I have no problems with people who don't feel comfortable categorizing themselves in any one way or another. Its none of my business, it doesn't affect my life.

What grinds my gears is when some pretentious ninny gives me grief because I label or self identify as gay and they feel its their Holy Crusade to make me "see the light" and spout off some trite Andy Warhol-esque wisdom about labels being for soup cans or some such sentiment. I am GAY, no question about it...and I don't understand why its so taboo to refer to myself as gay. If that's labeling myself, so be it.

Anyway though, as I said - I respect people if they chose to disregard labels as long as they respect me :slight_smile:

8. awesomeness

They're definitely helpful, but a lot of people don't fit 100% into the standard ones. So you end up with the choice of either choosing the one that's the closest, or having to come up with all these new ones, that just confuse things even more.

I only want to date the same sex, but I don't mind sleeping with both. Calling myself "bisexual" wouldn't be right since I have no desire to ever date a girl. But calling myself "gay" wouldn't be right either since I have zero problems having sex with attractive girls. So yes, I've definitely been in situations where I didn't know how to describe my sexuality.

#8 awesomeness, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. EatYourRikkios

I figure labels *can* be helpful, but are often equally unhelpful. It's nice to be able to use a word and have others understand the concept you want to convey, but then a lot of people have different connotations for or understandings of those labels, and it can make things confusing. Or, worse, confining.

10. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. It definitely depends on the individual. Another issue with labels is that some of them are given negative connotations. This makes it even more frustrating for individuals because some people don't want to be hated for who they are. And I think it's just terrible that this happens. A lot of people grow up with the notion that being gay or lesbian is a bad thing. Obviously we know that it's not. But that's what they grow up seeing. This makes it even more difficult for individuals to accept themselves. And that is just for those two labels that everyone so clearly know. I can't even imagine trying to talk to people about all the other types of new labels coming out without confusing them. There are just so many possible orientations out there now. It's hard to keep up lol. I have to say that I agree with FrozenFae though. I respect people and their preferences as long as they respect me. And I think that respect is the main ingredient that is missing in our world. I might not agree with certain things, but that does not mean that I wont respect other's views and opinions.

11. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though we don't all fit under one particular label, I think it's good to at least have something to be able to...get close to? Not sure if that makes sense. Just something to try to explain things in a way that others understand without having to go into our feelings and all of the things that happen inside our heads.

12. Yosia

Labels are for food!!

I think labels are okay but i dont understand why we have to put people in certain groups, why not just have one group of human? Not that i would want to be in that anyway XD

13. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahaha I know what you mean. That was a funny answer :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2014 at 04:57 PM ----------

It definitely makes sense. I think labels can be used as a crutch to help you get to a certain point when it comes to labels. Our minds can get pretty messy and it can be hard sometimes to attempt to explain what's going on in them. I definitely see you point there :slight_smile:

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People like that need to make up new labels, in my opinion.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

How about homoromantic bisexual?

15. Simple Thoughts

Labels are a bit of give and take honestly.

They are helpful in the sense that you can clearly define yourself as a person with their aide. I mean if there wasn't a term like 'demisexual' or 'heteromantic' floating about it'd probably take a bit of word soup to explain to another person these things that are part of who you are.

At the same time, however, they can be so damning to a person. So many people have been demonized and singled out based on these labels. Kicked out of homes, shunned from families, at one point killed and beaten ( maybe this still happens now I'm not sure )

So I guess all in all I think of labels as a tool, and it really comes down to who's using the tool and why.

16. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup: And all those negative things you mentioned are definitely still happening unfortunately. It's people like us who can change these outcomes. And I don't mean LGBT community alone. It's anyone who is open-minded and respectful towards others. We need more individuals like that in this world

17. Simple Thoughts

We do need more people like that in the world. It would be nice if people could treat one another with a little decency and respect.

Oh well, things are on the path to change, so maybe with some time it'll all work out ^.^

18. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea, for sure. Things are at least a bit better now than they were a decade ago :slight_smile: Lets hope it keeps improving

19. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont like labels people assume of me as a straight girl yknow? most people assume straught girls are whores nd not men . i think if both the girl nd boy are sleeping around theyre both whores, I dont like double standards.

20. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    Here here. Hate double standards too. But what can you do? We live in a man's world. (no offense to anyone of course)