1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual cheating isn't *that* bad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KWDBM, Feb 20, 2014.

1. KWDBM

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm not saying that cheating, in any form, is okay... Or that I wouldn't be upset if my partner slept with someone else. Of course I would. But... To me it's not as damaging as emotional cheating. Sex is physical urges, chemical reactions, etc. Sometimes that's *all* it is.

But getting so close to someone else that you end up neglecting your partner and your marriage... To me, that's more serious. The biggest example I can give is my step-father; For 4 years he carried on with this super-close friendship with this clingy woman, he would spend tons of time with her, when him and mom would fight he would *always* run to this woman's house. He'd spend the night there, a lot. He often helped her out with bills, car payments, etc, to the point of not being able to pay our *own* bills. And whenever mom would get concerned about the amount of time they spent together, his response would basically be "If it comes down to it I'll always chose her friendship above all else."

Maybe I'm biased, for that reason, but... I've seen people come away from sexual encounters like absolutely nothing has happened. No love, no attachment. When I look back at my own past relationships, I'm almost certain I could forgive one stupid mistake. But forging an emotional bond that slowly makes your own marriage seem less and less important... Seems more damaging, to me.

2. Foster

I think both are pretty shitty to be honest. If my significant other slept with someone else, even if there was no emotional bond between her and that person, I'd still end the relationship. When you make a commitment to someone, that commitment is both sexual and emotional (unless you've specified otherwise, like in the case of an open relationship). I would feel really awful if my significant other hated sex with me so much that they felt the need to get it from somewhere else haha.

3. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I broke up with my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago because she cheated on me. It was "just sex" but it completely shattered my trust in her and certainly did me emotional damage. To me emotions come intertwined with fucking, maybe that's not the case for everyone, but I think it is for most people.

4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's several other people who feel this way, and that's why they have open relationships. As long as both partners are aware and okay with "cheating" (air quotes because it's not technically "cheating" if both parties are okay with it), then I don't think it's a real issue as long as everyone's safe. It becomes a major issue if someone gets sick. But there are a lot of people who are open with their sexual relationships but closed with their emotional relationships.

I agree with you that emotional betrayal is bad, although sometimes it's going to happen regardless of whether or not we want it to.

5. Yosia

I think emotional is worse but sexual is still really really bad, but im a person who believes sex is a meaning of a serious relationship and a bond between two people ~

6. QueerQueen

I wouldn't downplay cheating and say it isn't bad, but personally I would rather if my significant other had slept with someone else then to fall for someone else. I would still end it if it was the first one though.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm in a relationship with you, I trust you 100%. But if you cheat on me, your ass is grass. I would leave you in the cruelest ways possible because that person that I trusted and loved and gave my heart and soul to stabbed me in the back and now it's their turn to feel the emotional agony that they just inflicted on me.

I'd serve divorce papers on Valentine's Day, I'd do whatever it took. I wouldn't hit them or do anything like that, but if you want to see AwesomGaytheist pissed off (Which isn't an easy feat to accomplish), that's the quickest way to do it.

8. DrkRayne

I'd end it on both accounts.
    my partner and I both have agreed sexual cheating is a hecks no. I'd be grounds for a complete ending of our relationship, no chances nothing. We both have heavy beliefs on monogamy.

9. Bolin

Qft. I have almost extreme trust issues due to being betrayed by several of my family members and a couple of close friends, so in a relationship, loyalty is actually more important to me than love. If you aren't loyal physically or emotionally, you can get the hell out. Even if he were to bow down or prostrate himself and beg on his life for forgiveness, that bitch-ass ain't getting none of this. I'd be through.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EDIT: And I'll add this: I wouldn't have fun doing it. After I'd thrown you out of the house and changed the locks, I'd lay in bed and cry for a few days because I loved you so much and cared about you and cherished you, and you turned around and stabbed me in the back. I'd feel like someone had cracked open my chest and ripped my heart out.

11. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I say sexual is worse than emotional only because it puts my own health in danger. I dunno where the other person has been, I don't want you giving me an STD.

12. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This essentially sums up how I feel at the moment.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I disagree personally. I would much rather have my partner emotionally cheat on me than sexually cheat on me. I've dealt with emotional betrayals my entire life, I'm used to them and can get through them with the amount of time and talking about it, but I could never forgive sexual cheating. To me emotional cheating just isn't as serious. I view love and sex going together, so even if it was a casual thing to my partner it would still feel like a betrayal that they shared their body with someone else when we agreed on monogamy. I wouldn't be able to view it as "Oh it was just a casual thing", even if my partner viewed it that way because that's not how I view sex. It just isn't.

Not just that, but your partner can bring home STDs without telling you or even being aware of it, which is another huge betrayal. Or they can get pregnant/get someone else pregnant.

I could never forgive that. You sleep with someone else, our relationship is over, and you'd probably get a huge punch in the face as well.

EDIT: Of course I also realize that there are open relationships where people agree on casual sex with others, which is fine if it works from them because you can separate love from sex and keep your love to our partner. But for people who believe in monogamy, and sex and love coming together, sexual cheating can be far more serious than emotional cheating.

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be upset with either. I don't know which would bother me more.

15. African boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    cheating is cheating and both suck. and if the person your with dose not make you happy end it don't hurt them as a way to end it. just be true to your wants and needs because once you figure that out you are / will be better equipped to meet the needs of your partner / the person your involved with

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I find that intriguing - it's the opposite for me.

I know someone who broke up with her SO because he "fell asleep with another person" (nothing more than cuddling) and "kissed her goodbye." And sure, I get the need to break up after that, but she's funneled pure vitriol toward him ever since - much worse than even a guy who stalked her for months.

It just doesn't come close to how I'd feel if someone cheated sexually. Maybe because I have a hard time separating sex from romantic feelings? Meh, I don't have my thoughts on it as pinned down as your own, but with the "kissing her goodbye" thing I almost my thoughts toward it were more like "it happens." I'd find it more easily forgivable.

17. Foxface

I find both to be equally repulsive. And fun fact, open relationships can have cheating. I won't derail the topic but had to point that out

If my partner cheated on me, she was looking for that physical intimacy elsewhere and that hurts just as much as the emotional side

18. justjade

Really, I wish I didn't feel this way. I don't think sexual cheating is that bad. I just wish I was more monogamous. I'm very prone to fantasizing and developing attractions, which really sucks. Honestly, though, not sleeping with every new person at work that I train and think is cute is probably a good thing, especially since I'm supposed to be up for a promotion. :confused:

It's kind of a double standard, though. If I was cheated on, I'd be seriously pissed. I don't know what my problem is.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree that emotional stuff is more forgivable.

I find it interesting that people feel the opposite. I don't mind my partner falling in love with people other than me as much as I mind them sleeping with other people.

20. Gallatin

Given that I value loyalty and honesty very highly, my stance on cheating is not surprising - cheating is cheating, no matter what form it takes, and is nearly unforgivable in my book.