1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He quit rather than lower the flag for Helms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jul 11, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Another case of someone not doing their job. But this one is a little more... complicated.

Jesse Helms was not a supporter of gay rights, I'm sure he rallied to fight it. But perhaps this was an overall view presented to him by the state of North Carolina. In that way, I think he would be doing his job by defending the rights of his state not to institute gay rights. If everyone in a state opposed gay rights, or at least a majority, why would they want to tell gays otherwise? North Carolina would attract gays if it were to allow gay marriage, but the people would be opposed to it. That may lead to dangerous confrontations from the people who already dwell in North Carolina, and the partners who came there to marry. It also may make citizens of North Carolina uneasy about where they live currently, their home state. Anyone with common sense, a strong work ethos, and a plan, can make their way over to California if they truly choose to marry their partner.

This is sad in that I grew up in North Carolina. It is a beautiful state with some very nice and accepting people. Personally I think gay rights should be present in all states, so that gays aren't forced to live only where the government says they should live, and says they are accepted.

But back to our flag non-raiser, Eason. I'm not sure why our government forces its employees to raise the flags for our fallen. But being the son of a 26 year retired Master Sergeant from the air force, I realize that this is a sign of respect and an age-old tradition that must be upheld. Eason chose not to do his job, and the government did the right thing in making him retire. It isn't like they dishonorably discharged him, he will still receive his pension. But he blatantly disrespected a fallen officer. If the officer that had fallen just had a name, and he knew nothing about that officer he would have raised the flag. But perhaps the named officer had raped 8 women in his lifetime, and perhaps killed someone, though he got away with all of this. Just because you know something about a fallen officer that you don't agree with, does not mean you should show disrespect.

If Bush were to die, and I were in the military, I would most definitely lower the flag for him. It is my duty, and even though I hate that man, it is also my job. Not to do so is called insubordination, and is grounds for my immediate discharge.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This one is different. He took the consequences for something he believed in. The other lady sued, right?

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Honestly, what's with these people? If you have a job and your manager/superior tells you that you have to do something, just do it!!!!!

I don't see why he felt like he had to make his personal beliefs public, especially at a state owned facility. It's like that British woman who wouldn't do gay civil unions...NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!! If you're a state employee, you have to do what your told, why is that hard to understand?

This guy and that British woman both deserved to be fired, it's a shame that only the guy in North Carolina was.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I commend Eason for his convictions and beliefs. But I'm really wondering if it was worth to lose his job over it.

6. pirateninja

He has my full admiration and respect for fighting for his beliefs and accepting the consequences of his actions. I can only hope that he manages to find a new job, and feels proud that he has made a stand for civil rights without any gain for himself.

Too many people just obey orders. It was the excuse of Nazis when they murdered Jewish people in the holocaust. Here is someone who is saying "I think it is unjust, I'm not going to follow an unjust order." I applaud the man.

7. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I'm glad you think this way :slight_smile:

8. Leigh

Leigh Guest

wow thats really interesting.... the answer the other time was obvious but i guess its harder at this side of the spectrum!!

and at the same time note that this guy had the guts to quit on principle... i think he did the right thing

9. I suppose you have to do what you think is right, if you truly believe in something, then nothing should stop you wanting to do what is right.