1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone look over my letter of extenuating circumstances?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi guys~

My greatest dream or goal of this year is to get into my top school's nursing program. However, the average to get in is quite high (87-90%). I do have a 87%, but know that this might not be high enough. In high school, I went through a rough time which affected my marks. I wrote a letter explaining my circumstances and what I then did to repair the damage to the school I want to get into.

However, since this letter outlines my mental disorders I am terrified of letting anyone I know read it. My best friend offered to read the letter after I told her I was writing a letter to the university, but I'm too scared to let her see what I have been hiding for the past three years. My parents also don't approve of me writing the letter, as they think it will hinder me while the opposite is true.

If someone could look it over for me, that would be a HUGE help. I am worried that it is too long but more importantly that there may be some punctuation/spelling mistakes. Since I am sending it to my university, it has to be perfect. Thanks everyone~

Alice

2. setnyx

i am not sure if any letter would be a good idea. if you have the grade to get in, i wouldn't write one at all. alot of employers / teacher's don't want to know the past just what you're doing now. some may even conscientiously or unconsciously judge you negatively. also i have tried to describe my circumstances to teachers / employers and their response was usually " please don't try to make excuses*. hope this helps and good luck.

3. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have the grades to get in, you shouldn't really need to write the letter. They might not like it. However, if you still need someone to look over it, I'd be willing to take a look at it and edit it for you. I've got lots of experience editing papers since all of my friends ask me to look things over for them, but I don't sugar-coat things when I edit, so don't be too offended if I mark all over it.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the business world, you don't get by on performance based on handicaps; you get by on results. You seem to be able to get those with your decent grades. Any attempt at explaining why you're not better seems to me to be an attempt at sympathy and special snowflake status, which might be the reason your parents think it'll hurt more than it will help.

You may have very valid reasons, but as an employer, I would hire the person who is the best fit for the job. It's up to you to be that person, extenuating issues or not. And trust me, I don't like it one bit. But that's the mentality you have to have.

5. MoyashiAlice

Hi guys~

I understand what you guys are saying about the letter perhaps not helping. Often universities will only look at it is they are on the cusp of saying yes or no. However, I still want to give it a try or I feel I will never forgive myself for not giving it my all.

During grade eleven and part of twelve, I was severally depressed. I only got about four hours of sleep a night, had constant nightmares, panic attacks, had my hair start to fall out, heart palpitations, etc, etc. These events basically swept my life from under me, and I felt like I lost it all. My friends, my grades and more importantly my future.

However, once I got better from my depression period, I really tried my best to set things right. I took another math course, and raised the math mark I needed from a 53% to an 88%. I got a 91% in english and two other 90's for my other two elective top 6 courses. I would have taken a bunch of my courses over, only a TON of people at the school told me that the more courses you take twice the more the universities will be likely to say no.

So, I do understand where you guys are coming from thinking that it is unfair or me making excuses. I really do. Yet at the same time, do you guys see where I am coming from too? I became depressed which wasn't my choice or wish. I tried my best while I was depressed, and as soon as I got better I did everything within my power to raise my marks without retaking too many courses. I don't want to think that my future is lost because I was depressed for about two years.

Also, as a point of interest, I told one school already what happened. They said to get official reports and such, which while I was collecting, they accepted me. The average to get into that school was 87-90%. Yet another school, which only had a average of 80-83%, did not accept me, likely due to the fact that I did not explain what happened that semester.

This is why I want to explain, because I am not saying "Oh I was depressed so accept me." What I am trying to get at through my letter is "I faced adversary, so my marks may be a bit lower then needed. However, since then I have done X and Y steps to try and make up for my depression and take better care of my mental health in the future.

That being said, what do you guys think? Do you still honestly believe that it is wrong for me to send the letter? Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I won't say whether or not to send it because I'm still only in high school and know very little on the subject, but whatever you decide, my offer to edit it should you decide to send it still stands.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do make a good point here. If the school sees your grades will be better now that you have things under control, they'll understand that you will do well there. I don't claim to know how university programs choose their students, but I would make sure your regular entrance essays (if there are any) brush the subject. Maybe there will be no need for a letter if this is the case.

8. Foxface

First of all...GREAT to see you again Alice. I missed you

I've gone through undergrad and graduate school but in the US not Canada so I can't be too sure how it works there. I am cautious to say go ahead and send it. Schools have thousands of applications every year and I fear that sending something that offers up a call for sympathy may be harmful to your application. Now if you have decided to write it I would be quite happy to look at it for you and offer what I can

9. MoyashiAlice

Hi guys~

As always thanks for the support. :slight_smile: I have decided to send the letter but will explain why a bit more. The school I want to get into did not have any sort of essay or personal statement. Therefore, there is not another way for me to talk about anything with them unless I send the letter. In the school's viewbook, it says that if there was circumstances to send a letter to the admissions office and gave me an address. So, they have someone stated that it is allowed to do this if that makes sense.

While I am also going to be discussing my depression, which my doctor also states in his letter has been resolved, I will not talked about my social anxiety. Because I feel that that would be a bad idea, as nurses are constantly working with people.

It also doesn't hurt to state that if my plan does backfire, then I have my second choice option in my pocket. I can still live at home if I go there and it is also one of the top five programs for my subject in the country.

I want to take the chance because I worry if I don't then and I don't get accepted then I will always wonder what if...? If I do take it and don't get in, then I will know that at least I did everything within my power to help my cause.