1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Political lesbians

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    What's your opinion on political lesbians?

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I think I know what you're talking about? Like, bi women/transguys who say they're lesbian so they can politically associate as one?

4. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I also think that those people are who she is talking about

5. juliegt6

I'm a lesbian but am not political. My level of activism is voting in elections.

If you meant someone who is saying they're a lesbian to be part of that group politically, no I just like women and just women (they're pretty!)

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am mean women who claim that they chose to be lesbian to make a political statement even though they are naturally bi or straight.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, it irritates me. Okay, so yeah. I know when people on here ask for gay guys, I loop myself with them because I'm a queer guy.

I just disagree with the whole idea that you have to be in a group to fight for them. No. You can be an ally. You can be a straight woman fighting for lesbian rights. I can fight for women's rights without being a woman myself.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is extremely evil, and I am ruthlessly critical of it. I think lesbians should be political, like all queer folks, and we should look out for each other.

But the political lesbian--or lesbian feminist--is a person who believes it is possible and desirable for women to choose homosexuality as a political act of separation from men. The extreme hatred this position boggles the mind. If a gay man were to suggest that women are so stupid, incompetent, manipulative, and draining that other men should become gay and separate themselves from women, that would be seen as a radically perverse kind of misogyny, and rightly so.

I readily acknowledge that men have caused women pain, suffering, and even death for thousands of years and still continue to do so. But to willingly commit the hasty generalization fallacy on such a scale betrays such a propensity for evil that the vast majority of humanity does not possess.

And, I know exactly how dark their souls are, because I'm reading one right now...

#8 Pret Allez, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say that I have ever read anything posted by a lesbian separatist that has not left me with a pretty disgusting feeling afterwards.

These people have no business calling themselves leftists, or feminists, or lesbians for that matter. The real shame though is that most of the damage they end up doing is towards feminism--towards other women, rather than towards the men they despise.

10. apostrophied

I still don't understand why we need to mix politics and homosexuality.

Sure, there are political battles to be fought to ensure equal rights, but on an individual level, I am a person, not a walking political idea. If I choose to endorse a political ideal, that's all fine and dandy (and it's fine if I don't, too), but I shouldn't have to re-organize my life around it.

In short, I'm very glad I never met any "political lesbians." They should go find a deserted island to live on.

11. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So true. Lesbian feminists are so terrible and cruel to transwomen that I can't stand it.

13. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    1- if you hate, you dont magically receive love, you receive hate.
    2- good luck not having sex or relationships with the sex you like... They will become... Closeted heterosexuals?
    3- less straight women having sex/relaitonships=less straight guys having sex/relationships... Congralutation! Your extremism increased the number of lonely frustrated people in two sexes.

So now with this 3 you just made a world of gender vs gender, with lots of bitter people...congralutations on creating this awesome utopia!

And because the tendency of generalizing, people 's believe that all feminism hate men or want women superiority... And because of generalizing you create hate toward women.... Also that kind of attitude would divide LGTB in L vs GTB

Also you are alienating men who support women rights ...and... Feminist is supposed to make more men accept equity... You are not going to acheive that with hate... There is no use in creating an us vs them mentality.

14. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've met a few lesbians who were also politically active, but never knowinging met any that chose to be with women simply to make a political statement, when they were in fact straight. What I had seen (in college) was straight girls trying to get with other girls because some guy thought that made them hotter. I know they're probably out there, but I can't imagine having sex with a person just to make some political statement when the desire for them wasn't already there.

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd also like to mention that many political lesbians are actual lesbians, who assume that all girls feel the way they do and only go for men due to socialization.

16. apostrophied

Wow, and how do these fine ladies think that the world is supposed to go on, if they succeed in breaking down the chains of our socialization patterns??

17. Lipstick Leuger

They undermine the fact that I am born gay, I don't choose to be. It stems from the original femminist movement in the 60's where they wanted to show they 'didn't need' a man.

18. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I suspect that majority of this radical political lesbians are either lesbians or bisexual women. So they think everyone is lesbian but patriarchy makes them be in hetero relationships/ everyone can choose their orientation.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2014 at 06:47 PM ----------

Patriarchy–the Original Rape | Dear Patriarchy---DIE!

If i understood well, they are implying that heterosexual sex is ALWAYS RAPE!???...and i read the same idea in multiple radfems blogs... Or how women should 'become' lesbians or celibate... Radfems do no good to feminist movement... Imitating the ways of the oppresor is not the solution me thinks, hating and separating from a whole group, just because some individuals of that group are oppresive is not part of the solution either.

19. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found the link very educational. I never realized that when I sat on top of a guy who didn't even know we were going to have sex, much less pressured me for or asked for it, that he was in fact raping me. It's because the male dominated patriarchial society is oppressing women in general, and that I've been brainwashed by that society, therefore whatever I think I'm chosing to do doesn't matter. Now I've just got to figure out what to do about it. The male dominated legal system isn't going to help me, and he's almost a thousand miles away, so I can't just kick him in the crotch. :rolle: There must be some other answer than celibacy :icon_sad: