1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is loneliness common for gay people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thekillingmoon, Feb 24, 2014.

1. thekillingmoon

Or is it just me. Do you find it easy to meet women for dating and relationships or do you go years without meeting any lesbian women? For me it's the latter. I don't know how to meet other lesbians. I tried to find someone local online and it didn't work. I feel like perpetual loneliness is in store for me.

2. Nikky DoUrden

I think the only extra difficulty is being able to reach out for other LGTB around you, at least in RL, but nothing else different ^^

3. PinkieKeen

im technically bi so i guess i cant say for sure, but sometimes yes.. it can be lonely. Im currently going through a non-op MTF transition. And while i have attractions to both genders, its very difficult to find people that accept my way of thinking. like right, this forum is really only my only support and these people on here are the onyl people i feel actually understand me. But i do understand the need for RL emotional support and contact. nobody should be alone. Just keep trying! theres someone for everyone i believe :slight_smile:

4. LuvMyIB

I believe the answer can go both ways, yes and no. Feeling lonely is natural for many. Is it fun hell NO. If you live in a rural area it can be worse then if you were in a big city. I think the more people you have around you the less you feel lonely.

Its amazing that we are every where (gay people) but many are closeted. So it's hard to find friendship. Someone will come along and you will be amazed that she is right in front of you. Have hope! You will find Miss Right for you!

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

A combination of being in the closet and gay people being a minority of the population, being gay can be quite lonely.

6. PurpleGrey

Even when I thought I was straight, I could never get a boyfriend. Though I do think it's tougher when you can't walk up to a person expecting to match their orientation. That's my major obstacle.

7. Joelouis

I think anyone can feel lonely at times, no matter what our sexuality is.
    I have looked at Internet dating sites without success for a couple of years now.
    I've had messages etc on these sites, but they have mostly turned out to be from the Philippines or 65 year old guys.

I'm not really sure what I want to be honest, as I would feel bad falling in love with someone only to yearn for the other sex. I think it would be unfair on them if I couldn't give them my whole time & love.

But as for you, I hope you do find a lady who makes you feel special. And don't give up as you really never know what's round life's corner! Hopefully you'll be in a relationship soon and you can look back at your post here and smile!

Good luck!

8. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Everyone experiences loneliness; some more than others. I think it has to do more with how introverted you are as opposed to sexual orientation in terms of forming relationships with other people. I can see how romantically it can be harder for gay people though, especially in rural/backwards areas.

9. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that loneliness is common for those who may not have told or be able to tell other people. For me at least the combination of having a massive crush in one if my friends and being in the closet means that I really don't spend much time with other people and I'm not as socially active as I could be.

10. QueerQueen

I think it can be lonely..It used to be a lot harder for me to meet people who like the same sex as well, there were a few that were friends of mine, but I wasn't interested in them like that. The girls that I did like I wasn't really friends with them and didn't know how to approach them, especially since I was closeted back then except for some close friends.. so I always just admired from afar.

Now I'm out to everyone, and the majority of my friends are bi/pansexual so it's a lot easier to meet girls. That being said so far I've only met 2 that I have liked and have liked me back aside from my ex's so it's still not as easy as it would be if I liked men :c ah well. I do think you will find someone though, they're definitely out there.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe with finding a partner, but otherwise I don't see why it would be different than most people.

12. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Gay people are rare, I have never met another gay person in my entire life. I'm not lonely, I just don't have anyone in my life that understands me. I would guess that less than 3% of the population is gay, so yes, it can be very lonely if you are looking for other gay people.

13. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Going on vague memories of reading statistics here, but I thought it was at the very least 10%. Anyway it really depends where you live. If you're living in a cosmopolitan city i.e. New York City, I don't think you're going to have much of a problem finding other gay people, but if you're living rurally or in a conservative town then it's gonna be harder.

14. thekillingmoon

Since everyone's mentioning living in low populated areas, I actually live in a town which has at least 400 thousand people. You'd think it would be easy enough to meet someone and yet, it isn't. I wish I knew where to look...

I never felt so trapped before. I once considered myself straight a long time ago and I was pretty lonely too back then. Still I could find a guy to go out on a date with if I looked, despite dating sites being full of douchebags who only care about getting laid. Now it's pretty much impossible. I'd kill just to have a woman to go out for coffee with and talk and flirt a little. It doesn't even have to end up being a relationship, just to have someone to spend time with would be nice.

#14 thekillingmoon, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Liberal part of Oklahoma. 50k residents and a college town. Never met another gay person. Doubt I ever will either.

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    really depends on how you look at it. yea living in the City, you see quite a few ones here and there, in and out the closet. I'm not really exactly friends with a few like "HEY WE'RE BUDDY BUDDY" wise. i rarely meet a gay guy anyways. don't think about it too much though, not everyone in the planet is born to be alone

17. Beetle

In terms of friends, I'm not lonely. For love life, yes. It's very hard to find other lesbians and everyone who I ever had strong feelings for was straight :bang: I don't know anyone else other than me at my college who is gay...I'm sure there are quite a few...I just don't know them.

I'll get more involved in the LGBT community after I graduate and hopefully meet some people that way.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh I'm nearly certain you've met plenty. They just don't carry around a giant "gay" sign with them.

If the college you're at/near isn't any less than 5,000 people or so I also strongly bet there's a GSA or QSA club (gay/queer-straight alliance) or something similar. Heck I won't ask you to say where you're at but I could probably find a them at each of these "college towns" listen on this Oklahoma list I'm looking at.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think one of the reasons for loneliness is that gay people are not genetically related and often are isolated from other gay people when they grow up.

20. ok455

I think so and depending on where you live plays a big factor if you live in a small town then your most likely going to be lonely especially when everyone starts to settle down. I live in a small town in south jersey i call south jersey a endless suburb. I think in a gay friendly city with a gay neighborhood and clubs,bars and activities for gay people would make your chances of meeting people better.

Dating websites/apps are a hit and miss some guys are fixated on looks or they just want hookups or guys that live too far away.