1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to lose weight...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blondeye, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought I posted this today but I don't see it...

I never had weight problems until a year ago. I went from 165 to 210. My weight is down now to 195 but I'm still working in it.

I decided to work out every single day for a month. I'm going to do a 5k. I signed up for it with my kid. I'm excited. I WILL do it! :slight_smile:

Is anyone else into working out?

What motivates you to work out?(!):eusa_doh:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, good luck!

I hate working out usually...half my problem is that I have no motivation to do excercise for excercises sake. I'm never going to have the body I want (my skeleton prohibits that) so I don't have a body goal, and since I'm healthy enough to do the things I want to do I don't often feel the need to lose weight for the sake of my health either! Even if I am big.

The only ways I've found to motivate me are if it's something I'm enjoying for it's own sake. I took up martial arts which I would love to get back to if I didn't work evenings. I used to go swimming, but I can't afford to go. It sucks!

3. Harve

The only thing that really motivates me to exercise is that it feels really good. Yeah, I could look better if I had muscles, but I only do cardio and losing anymore weight is BAD BAD BAD for me, so aesthetics isn't a factor. I just like the feeling of pushing myself: 19:30 is a better time to run 5k than 20:30. If I wasn't trying to better a time, then I'd probably be too bored and wouldn't exercise at all. Although it's probably healthier not to go crazy.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I just like the feeling of pushing myself: 19:30 is a better time to run 5k than 20:30."

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realise you weren't talking about when to start running there...

5. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Running! I love it, used to hate it and I try to lift weights because I have no muscle but I'm not very consistent. Motivation is is hardest part, some days I'm just like nah not today...Doritos!!

6. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well... mostly I'm motivated because I'm overweight and I really really don't like being overweight :grin:. But also for broader reasons; I find exercise kinda feels quite good, at least once you've finished a workout. Also I like the alone time going for a run/walk gives.

7. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ellia,
    Yes! I took belly dancing, and that I LOVED!!!

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2014 at 05:09 PM ----------

Harve,
    It does feel good! That has been my motivation my whole life!
    Excellent point!
    Running faster is a great reason too!
    Thank you for your response!

8. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I suck at this, although I've had my moments of exercise mania.

At present, 15 minutes of knee bends, leg lifts and crunches about does it for me (plus some walking). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Sully

At the end of 2012 I was about 174 (79kg) and I'm just a fraction over 6foot tall. I didn't have a job for a year and uni was pretty easy so I really didn't do any activity, by the end of 2013 I was up to 194 (88kg). Now after having a job for 3 months I'm back down to 174! 20 pounds in few months! Just because my job (waiting at a large outdoor restaurant) is literally walking ALL shift!

In all seriousness though, I've started to think that I have some kind of body dysmorphia. Although I fall into a healthy weight range, I look at my body and still see some hideously fat blob. My friends don't seem to see this in me though, and if ever they mention someone's weight my guts churn because I've always thought of myself as the fat one :/

! I've noticed that my calves tone pretty easily, and apparently I can shed weight pretty easily. Now I just need to quit smoking and start actually exercising and eating healthy!

10. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maelstrom, that sounds good actually!

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2014 at 05:52 AM ----------

Sully, what are your work out goals?

11. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I hate losing weight, I normally suck and just starve myself and then binge so my weight usually changes from like 98-107lb and I'm like 5'8" which sucks cause I thought I was 5'10" cause my friend told me she was that tall and she was the same height as me so I found out she lied when I got my height measured but for working out I do like 2 hours of straight up cardio like 6 times a week. Motivation is seriously my issue though cause sometimes I skip like an entire week of exercise but yeah good luck, hopefully we can all maintain exercising consistently.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work out 4 times a week, for 40-60 minutes, but I'm focusing more on strength training at the moment (abs, legs, arms). I'm at a healthy weight (146 pounds, 5'9"), so no more weight loss is necessary (I lost a little weight last year because I started getting a chubby face and a flabby stomach). I still run occasionally though - it's something I enjoy doing just for the sake of it, and it improves your health in general. I also play football (European football, that is) and basketball - can't stand watching either sport on TV, but love playing them.

What keeps me motivated is a combination of aesthetics and health - I want to look good (which in turn makes me feel good), and I want to be healthy - I don't want to keel over at the age of 50 because I'm eating a lot of processed junk.

#12 imnotreallysure, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  13. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've started working out because just looking at my body makes me depressed, plus I lost a lot of weight after I had my second daughter but put it back on and then some. I'm not my heaviest, but I just want some semblance of my old body back after having two kids almost back to back.

Not to mention, I absolutely hate my boobs, so I'm hoping exercising will make them smaller.

14. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting addicted is my primary goal!!!

15. kem

kem

One thing you should get addicted to is using your legs for transport. I don't know if it's possible for you in your hometown, but try to start walking everywhere. Get a bike and cycle longer distances!
    Remember to let your body rest too. :slight_smile: Shake and shock your body by training super hard on some days and focusing on lighter aerobic exercises on other days. Try out all sorts of different activities. Yoga is fun and although beginner asanas offer little in terms of physical fitness (they do vastly improve flexibility though), they are great for mental relaxation and I find it perfect after exercise.

I'm 5'6.5" (169cm), 132lbs (60kg). I was 56.5—57 for a while, but I gained some muscle and some fat. Now i'm trying to drop my weight to about 121 (55kg) by burning fat. Should be easy with a 1800kcal diet and 18km of commuting every day, also excited for running season. (maybe I'll even quit smoking!) Back in the running-crazed days of 2012, I ran 9-10km 3 times a week and it was the best I've ever felt health-wise, I hope I can get back into that routine.

#15 kem, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  16. setnyx

i walk alot, especially last summer. i hit a plateau and gave up i spoke to a dr. and found out my bmi was lower even though the weight remained the same so i guess this is a... don't give up. walking is so easy, portable and nothing but a good pair of shoes required. bonus i got errands done at the same time.

17. Butterfly16

Butterfly16 Guest

I dont exercise that much at all, not motivated to ... my wieght is 160, im 16 and my height is 5'1

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point. Walking is about the simplest and easiest exercise anyone can do (unless you're grossly obese and/or elderly).

19. Sully

I guess my only real goal at the moment would be, that if I have a day off and I'm just at home do SOMETHING to get some excercise! On that note I might go for a walk on the beach!

20. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really work out. The most work out I get is when I go to work. Since I work at a dog daycare my whole day is spent running around with the dogs and cleaning up after them, so I workout while I'm at work. Usually in the summer I go swimming to exercise.