1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interracial dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nurse2B, Feb 25, 2014.

1. nurse2B

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    endogamy vs exogamy? Would you prefer to date someone within your racial/ethnic group? Give me your views/opinions/comments....

2. Sully

Couldn't care less. I can't even believe this is a recurring thread. Preferences are one thing but to actually not don't someone from another race is plain racism.

3. Jared

For me it doesn't really matter, I've dated both white guys and other races. My boyfriend of a year is Thai and it's been a great experience dating someone who grew up in a different culture, even if he has been pretty Americanized, he's lived in the US for about half of his life. Of course my parents would prefer I date a white person, specifically a white girl... But whatever, they're not dating him.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The race of others has absolutely 0 influence on my dating preferences.

5. KThomps

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would prefer to date someone of my own race, but I think other races are super sexy and sort of mysterious

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From stark white and freckled to ebony black, I have yet to find any race or ethnicity I would totally rule out. There are beautiful, wonderful people everywhere.

That said I do have a slight thing for the promotion of genetic purity, whatever that said gene combo may be (hereditary diseases notwithstanding :/). Too much blending causes a very homogeneous medium-brown complexion. Ironically, dating/mating within one's race maintains diversity lol.

7. FrozenFae

Someone's race or ethnicity has absolutely no bearing on whether or not I am attracted to them or would consider dating them.

8. apostrophied

If by "race," all you mean is skin color, it's probably not a big deal. We're all the same color underneath the surface of the skin. However, what does tend to come along with differences in skin color are differences in cultural background, which can, in the long-run, make a relationship very difficult. My friend dated a guy who came to Canada from the Carribean. They stayed together for a number of years, but ultimately, the cultural differences were simply insurmountable, she said.

Social psychology teaches us that "birds of a feather flock together," and while sometimes "opposites attract," they usually don't do so for long. Now, there are obviously differences, based on individual people, other factors such as religion, length of time spent in the country, etc., that will affect the viability of an interracial relationship and which shouldn't be discounted. Some people will be able to make these relationships work. But like it or not, they are a minority.

For me personally, culture and religion are sort of a big deal for me, so I'd want to be with someone I'm similar to in this respect, regardless of color. But chances are the person will be white, because people from other races tend to have different cultures (unless they've been here for 3 generations or were adopted, both of which are relatively infrequent). But hey, who knows.

9. Bolin

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Humans are humans. I was in an interracial relationship myself.

10. Candace

I've had boyfriends who were white, black, and Brazilian (Hispanic looking, hard to describe), so I'm all for interracial dating!! Dating people who look more like you= boringggg

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I almost was with someone who's hispanic. Problem was our compatability and he wasn't really ready for a long-distance relationship.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have this kind of pathologic desire to be a non-conformist, and so I dislike the idea of blind endogamy because there is family pressure on me to marry another Indian, especially since I was born and raised in the US.

I do understand the pressures to maintain culture, especially among minorities. Luckily, I'm gay, so I don't want to marry "a good Indian girl" in the first place, and I would probably still choose a non-Indian even if I was straight. In any case, my mom's family are mixed Indian-Portuguese heritage, so I'm not really breaking any precedents (except for that whole gay thing).

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try not to practice romantic and sexual racism. I'd date anyone if I liked them.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing is, even within my own ethnicity/nationality, you have many different races and mixes of races, so the chances of dating within that pool would probably be interracial, anyway. I'm willing to give anyone a chance, and if they're open to trying something new, more power to them. That said, the majority of my exes have been "Hispanic" due to population and proximity.

15. Sarcastic Luck

Guess that I'm going to be the odd one out (and apparently racist) for wanting to stay within my own racial/ethnic group. I'm limited on who I'm attracted to.

16. Hiems

I don't really have a preference. I would date anyone who meets more relevant criteria, e.g. intelligence, humor, kindness, some athleticism, etc. Finding someone who's actually interested in me would make me quite happy, haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like people.

18. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any problems with people who date interracially and I've kissed both an Indian and a black guy so I'm definitely not racist. But when it comes to dating/relationships then I stick to my own race

19. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I tend to find other races to my own (I'm white) more attractive, in general, but I'd date whoever, it doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't actively seek out a woman of a particular race to date, it's just...if it happens, it happens. It isn't something I consciously seek out nor ignore, but in terms of physical attraction, I do prefer other races, generally-speaking.

20. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Doesn't make a difference to me. I've never dated someone of a different race, but where I've lived, the dating pool is rather small for lesbians, and I'm not interested in guys of any race generally at all.