1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Difference

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Awkward Balloon, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Awkward Balloon

When I say age difference I am referring to the age between two people engaging in sexual or romantic activities. Personally I see nothing wrong with generational gaps, and I would not judge a person for being with someone who was ten years younger or older than them.

I myself am nearly exclusively interested in men who are in their twenties/thirties, both romantically and sexually. I have been ever since a very young age all but one of my crushes have been on men more than fifteen years older than me. Most, if not all of my friends think that it's weird to be interested in a person who's much older than you and they often judge people when they hear of such relationships. They're not really aware that I feel this way but it's quite hurtful when they shame others for this because it's not really a choice, just like you don't chose your sexuality.

So I was wondering what your thoughts on the topic are. Do you think it's wrong for young people to be dating adults and the other way around? Would you yourself engage in such a relationship?
    All opinions welcome and appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I think it's unhealthy, because the developmental differences between partners results in an unequal relationship. It's easy for the older person in the relationship to take advantage of the younger one. This is especially true when the younger person is under 18.

I don't think you're bad for wanting it, but I do think it'd be dangerous for you if you tried to act on those feelings.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that it feels like we don't have control over who we're attracted to. At the same time, I wouldn't be doing you a service if I didn't point out the inherent problems.

Of course, I realize that my saying that in no way helps how you're feeling toward older men. What we commonly see in most of these situations with someone around your age is that the younger person is usually lacking a healthy and emotionally connected father figure growing up (either he's not there at all, or if he is, he's emotionally unavailable/checked out.)

So what happens in these cases is, the younger person inadvertently seeks out the connection he's missing from lack of a father figure in a romantic interest. And that's extremely unhealthy because the two roles are very different; a romantic partner should be someone that you are equals with, someone where rather than a father/son or mentor/mentee relationship, it is two people who are on mostly equal footing and can help each other grow.

When you have a major age imbalance, you end up with a dependent relationship that doesn't foster your growth toward self-sufficiency, self-confidence and independence, and in most cases it does the opposite.

Additionally, when you look at it from the perspective of the older person, there's no way an emotionally healthy and balanced person in their 30s or even in their 20s is going to want to go out with someone 15. This has nothing to do with you personally, it's just that there are so many differences in life experience, maturity, and other aspects, that a healthy adult is not going to go out with a mid-teenager, so by definition anyone willing to do so, and particularly anyone willing to be sexually intimate with someone your age has pretty serious psychological issues.

And the last piece is... it would be a felony in most states.

I understand that it feels shaming to hear this, and that isn't my intent. You're not a bad person because of what you feel; as you said, you can't control it. But the difference is, unlike sexual orientation, this is something that is very changeable. As I said, in most cases, it arises because of a loss of proper bonding to a father figure, and so seeing a therapist to talk about what's going on will help you address that.

By working with a therapist to separate out the desire for a father/mentor figure from romantic attraction, you'll find, with a bit of work, that you'll be able to feel attraction to people your own age. You can also seek out a safe, healthy adult mentoring relationship through Big Brothers (a nonprofit that helps people in this situation) or, simply, by openly talking about it with your parent(s). I've seen this identical situation a number of times (including here at EC), and with those who have done the work, the result has always been that they were able to adjust, feel attraction for people their own age, and get into healthy, age-appropriate relationships.

I hope you take the above in the way it's intended, as a way to help you understand and perhaps begin the steps to help yourself, rather than as a way of devaluing your feelings or experiences. Please feel free to continue discussion here, or contact me if you want to talk more about this.

4. FrozenFae

If both parties are of legal age, I couldn't care less what they do. Granted, I WILL admit if I see a young person dating someone much older than them, my mind automatically thinks "gold digger!!!" but that's just my personal cynicism coming out.

As for me, I haven't really considered if I would or not. Anything is possible I suppose, but as of the present - the youngest guy I ever dated was five years younger than me and the oldest guy I ever dated was three years older than me.

5. Yosia

I think its fine as long as nothing bad is going on behind the scenes ^^

6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

What she said. In addition, there's legal age to consider. If you really like someone, you won't put them in a situation where they're going to be commiting a crime.

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just think you would be putting yourself in a risky situation since there is such a big age gap. I've only liked people around the same age as me. I couldn't see myself dating someone younger though.