1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it strange for straight people to be on this forum?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pane123, Feb 26, 2014.

1. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just wondering, as a straight guy, who joined so he could/try to stop making ignorant remarks, is it kind of weird for straights to be here? Considering that we can't really relate or help with peoples experiences, which are the majority of the threads here?

#1 pane123, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Better for you to be here learning than not here because it might be 'weird'!

While you might not be able to relate to the things we say here, that doesn't mean you can't empathise. Personally, I think it's a good thing there are straight people here! Certainly not weird! :slight_smile:

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Personally, I think It's a good thing for straight people to be on here. Even if they can't relate to our experiences, they get more insight on queer culture as a whole by reading the posts, and I'd like to think that's a good thing to promote.

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Everyone is welcome, no need to fall under the LGBT banner ^^ we have many straight people here, while relating .maybe hard, supporting our cause is easy ^^

5. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ah good, just hope people don't think we're trying to take over or anything, which is not the case at all.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not weird at all. Straight and non alike can always do with some mutual encouragement and learning about what makes people tick. Plus everyone in here is pretty cool, so why not?

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not weird at all. You might not be able to relate, but you can offer a different perspective than the rest of us can. I also think that it is great that you are willing to learn about LGBT topics.

8. FrozenFae

I don't think it is. Frankly I'm glad to see straight people wanting to connect with the community and make friends. :slight_smile:

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'd just like to say, that no, I don't bite. Unless you're cool with that sort of thing.

10. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Howdy! Straight fellow.

This is a great place! There is a great amount of awesome people here, and not only they will happily receive your support, but you will also learn things and even receive support yourself! There are many nice people in here.

:welcome:

11. C P

C P

Just think of yourself as bisexual - gay and you fit right into one of different equations.

Jk but it's nice to know that there are straights who care enough to stick around for support as that's always good.

Not sure why you felt we'd think heteros were taking over, unless this is one of those 'we were going to but, after meeting y'all here, had a change of heart' type stories. :lol:

12. Foster

As long as you're here for the right reasons, I see no issue with it :slight_smile:

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

All of us have plenty of things we can relate to each other with as people, that sexuality doesnt even have anything to do with. I'm sure there are alot of straight people who experience some of the biggest issues we bring up here every day such as getting bullied, being lonely, pressure to fit in when we don't and so on.

I myself as a member of the LGBT community can't directly relate to someone who's maybe having problems to do with gender identity for example. Cause I've never had those problems myself, but I know what it is to be mistreated and misunderstood and to be unsure who I really am on top of that. So I can relate in that sense. As well as want to provide comfort and support when someone is hurt no matter if I've experienced what they have before or not. I think anyone can do that, if they're gay, or bi, or straight doesn't matter ^^

And second if you came here to learn either about yourself, others, or both, or more, that's the same reason everyone else is here for. So why would it be weird?

14. Lipstick Leuger

It's always good to have straight supporters. If you are here, you obviously wish to learn about the LGBT community, so you can stop the mis-information etc.

15. AmiBee

Happy for your support. There seem to be quite a few straight friends, family and partners of LGBTQ folks on the forums. I think everyone should be welcome.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think so, considering we have just about every other sexuality represented in some way or another, and there are plenty of heterosexuals who either know someone who is LGBT, considers themselves an ally of the community, or simply find it an interesting site to post on. Besides, there is no one universal "queer experience", and most people can probably find some way to relate to issues regarding relationships, identity, and other human experiences.

17. setnyx

it's not weird to try to gain insight into lgbt. better here than from someone who doesn't KNOW anything but still manages to KNOW it all.

18. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's awesome that you're on here! The LGBT community has to be careful not to become insulated from the rest of the world, I think. It's really nice that you care enough to listen and be accepting--wish all straight people were like that!

19. Kreiger

No, its not really weird, its nice that straight people want to learn more about the gay community.
    Besides, it'd be silly for the LGBT community to start excluding people.

20. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It isn't strange at all. It's a good thing. After all, the forums here aren't limited to anything in particular, and you can always offer advice and participate in conversations even if you don't have personal experience of the problem. It's good that you're willing to be a part of it :slight_smile: