1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To those in the closest: Do you think your friends and family know you're gay/bi?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skaros, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you ever have a feeling like people who are close to you just know about your sexuality? I feel like my family knows, even though I never really "came out".

2. Kreiger

Sometimes I worry that my sister knows, (she'd be cool and all, she just wouldn't shut up about it), but it could just be her prying because I don't have a girlfriend.

3. BadWolf5

Maybe, since I make a lot of comments about
    gay rights

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all, which is going to make it an even bigger pain in the ass when I start to tell more people.

5. Projectfabulous

I'm pretty sure that most people around me assume that I'm gay and just humor me in the fact that I say I'm straight (even though I'm changing that). Or maybe they just think I'm gay/out and don't talk about it. It doesn't really bother me anymore because I've stopped caring and I want to be out so it's less work for me.

6. My friends used to all assume I was gay, but years of lying finally convinced them otherwise.

7. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure the thought has at least occurred to all of my family. I know my uncle jokingly asked me "you're not gay are you" when I was 14ish, and not too long after my great uncle told me how disappointed my grandfather would be if I was gay. I have no idea if that was based on anything though; I think they were probably just general expressions.

I don't think anyone in my family would have a harsher reaction than disappointment if they found out the truth, but honestly the only ones I'm really worried about are my parents. I'm 27 and have never had a girlfriend -- they have to have least thought it was a possibility at some point. I'm sure they've discussed it with each other; I wish I could have heard that conversation.

There have been a few instances over the years that have made me think they at least suspect, but it's a pretty flimsy case to make. I just wish they'd ask me -- I know I'd tell the truth at this point. To me it feels like we're either both playing a game of chicken (extremely well might I add) and are trying to wait each other out or they are afraid to ask a question they don't want to know the answer to. I feel so pathetic for not being able to just tell them, especially since I'm completely independent financially, live on my own, and am not worried that they'll hate me or anything, but it is what it is.

Sorry, didn't mean to vent in this thread. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. abandonedsocks

I'm kind of in that situation where everyone at family gatherings conveniently brings up gay rights around me or ask everyone if they have a boyfriend/girlfriend, and then when they get to me they go.. "How's your uh.... love life?" So I'm pretty sure I'm the 'gay cousin that hasn't actually come out yet'. :icon_redf

9. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think people would be shocked to learn I'm gay, but I am letting go of the facade and being myself more and more each day. It'll become obvious soon enough because at heart, I'm pretty flaming LOL

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other than friends who are gay themselves, everyone's been surprised, and I'm surprised they're surprised.

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

My mother I'm pretty sure was oblivious until I came out to her. My father I think has his suspicions ever since he visited me at college and found me having a rainbow flag on my dorm room and frequently checks with my mother to make sure I am 'straight'.

Sometimes I wonder whether my late grandfather sensed it in some way. Even though he had had a history of some offhand homophobic comments, on the last day I saw him alive he made some random out-of-the-blue LGBTQ-affirming statements to me.

12. Skov

I thought that my parents knew. I honestly did. Boy was I wrong. They had no clue. They thought that my best friend (a girl) was a lesbian and that's why we weren't dating.

13. AlamoCity

Other than not dating, I don't really feel I give off gay vibes to those family members who I am not out to. To those family members who I've come out to, they were all surprised.

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

And oh yeah I had thought for sure that my parents must have had at least inklings or suspicions as I turned 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 without ever having a girlfriend, without ever dating a girl, without ever expressing an interest in girls...but nope, oblivious. Perhaps they were just in denial. At least, my mother still acts like she's in denial ever since I actually did come out to her.

15. Sorceress of Az

A coworker is suspicious.
    My mother is some times suspicious but is confident I am straight.
    Father thinks I am straight.
    Most people think I am straight because I am a Christian in a position of authority.
    My Grandparents think I am straight and hate non-straight people so much that my own Grandpa has said we should all be round up and shot. Little does he know everyvtime he says that it includes his favorite grandchild.

I have come out to my a few of friends, some seemed surprised and others didnt. All of the friends I told still treat me the same, I was afraid they would not like me. Instead some of them respect me even more than before.

16. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My family has no idea. Just the other day, my dad said something like, "I'd hate to see what kind of boyfriend you end up with then." In my head I was like "Ugh, can you not just pick up on it so I can come out without having to have the conversation?" haha.

17. PinkieKeen

Alot of my friends already know. the others probably expect it though lol. umm.. if my mom DOESNT know yet shes blind. but ive never actually told her and she never said anything so who knows lol and im pretty sure my dad and the rest of my family have no clue and would be completely shocked

18. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I act very girly at school and all the friends I've told said "There's a shock!" in a very sarcastic tone (they really couldn't have cared less :slight_smile:)

I have a feeling my parents might know because last year they were always pestering me about girls and for some reason they stopped. So they either think I'm gay/bi or they've finally realised I don't want one yet!

19. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

In my circle of friends at college my sexuality is a bit of a recurring joke with my often being referred to as the "gay one" of the circle but that's just said in a joking tone but the other day after I made a comment about something (Can't even remember what!) one of my friends quite seriously said to me "Well, you would say that because you're bisexual"
    So, I have a sneeky suspicion he might know.
    But apart from that nobody knows.

20. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I came out to my best friend she said it didn't surprise her, but she's the only one who said that. I'm only out to four other friends besides her and three of them were just like "oh... ok... cool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: " and the fourth was kind of an accident... he's a friend of my younger brother's and we were just randomly talking and we suddenly came out to each other (he's gay too) completely by accident. But yeah, the first friend was the only one who ever suspected anything. And if others suspect, they haven't said anything, so.