1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time I damaged a car...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kreiger, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Kreiger

I've been driving for about a year now, so of course the first time my neighbor asks me for a ride to school (she missed the bus), I make a complete ass of myself knocking the mirror off on the edge of the garage while I was backing out. :eusa_doh: Duct tape was able to get it to school and back, and since the car's from 2007, finding a replacement mirror to order was easy and only set me back $30 with shipping. Frankly, I'm surprised my parents weren't that angry with me, I think its because they've totaled half a dozen cars in between them over the years (driving into trees, garages, getting rammed in intersections).
    So for my first car accident it wasn't that bad, but I still feel like an idiot for making such a stupid move. Anyone else here happen to do something idiotic like that driving?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I crossed an intersection was t boned by one car into another. I was... 18?

3. rkelleybelly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The other day, my friend parked her car into the driveway of this girl's house (she was parked legally, might i add). She and her were going to get something and me and my friend waited in the backseat. Well, this girls ex-boyfrind was there and he tried to be all cool and he flipped a peace sign and backed out…into my friends car. It was only a dent and some chipped paint, but she wsn't even mad. He tried to play it off cool, but he was shaking. Ahh, Karma.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can do you one better. :slight_smile:

When I lived in San Diego, the apartments had these carport sort of things, basically just a tin roof supported by metal posts under which there are a whole bunch of parking spaces. I find it kind of funny because it never rains. I guess they are to keep the sun off your car. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I'd parked in my assigned parking stall hundreds of times, and there's a post at the front corner of that stall that supports the roof. So one day, I was backing out, turning in the opposite direction I normally turn, and distracted, and wham... I managed to take out the mirror and put a huge dent/scrape in the door at the same time.

I was able to not get really angry about it, just annoyed with myself because it was just stupid... but it was a spendy repair.

5. Nicholas1991

Ive been in three serious car accidents in less than two years - two of them my fault. It sucks, its such a shock when it happens. I honestly dont know how im still alive. Thats only the serious ones, ive ran into walls, doors, gardens, roundabouts, windows, bins....you name it ive hit it :wink:

6. Sarah257

Yeah... I ended up rolling a truck a few years ago. Bent the frame to the point where it was undriveable. Thankfully no one was hurt.

7. Xochipilli

Glad it was an easy enough fix. :slight_smile:

My first car damaging incident was a fender bender my first year driving. I had a loan car that day, thank Jezuz.

My second time was recent. I backed out of the garage and didn't realize my Dad's was on the driveway. I busted both our license plate frames.

The sad part is the back-up sensor thing was beeping like crazy and I ignored it.
    I also have a back-up camera. :lol: :eusa_doh::dead:

8. Skov

I backed into a low retaining wall in a parking lot. It was only like 3 feet tall, but I didn't see it.

Oh and I scraped the side of a truck on a tree at work. That one is understandable though because we were not on a road.

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1) Ran into my dad's car on accident. Had car in drive, meant for it to be in reverse. And yea...totally my fault.
    2) Made a left and some Lexus ran into the headlamp of my car; both cars totaled. I had no injury, the other girl may have had an injury.
    3) Tried to pass a 18 wheeler on a highway and failed. No one was injured, I just had a minor cut on my knee.

I have bad luck with vehicles...

10. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote off (totalled) my first car on 6th January 2009 at 15:45 (yes, I remember it to this day). It was a Tuesday if I remember correctly...An idiot turned in front of me at an intersection. He didn't have any injuries, I had a broken ringfinger

And one day I was driving my mom's car for the day, think it was when my car was in for a service. Anyway, everything went well but when I got home, I bumped the car's side on the gate pole, I was too close to it when I pulled in. Now it has a bad dent and I haven't had the courage to tell my mom how it happened, or that it was me who did it. She thinks it was someone who bumped into the car with their car while she was parked somewhere... :icon_redf

So yeah, you're not the only one who damaged a car :bang: :eusa_doh:

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was other stuff that makes me a terrible driver. I've actually given thought about giving up driving after all of the mistakes I made.

12. Kreiger

Thanks everyone for all the stories, it helps me realize its normal to wind up doing something like this with a car eventually. I'll definitely be more careful, but I'm glad I'm not alone in the silly driving mistakes department.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One better: I disabled a small airplane when I backed a pickup into the wing...not a good day...

14. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was driving down a back road trying to put french fries on my hamburger when I clipped a mailbox taking off my mirror. At least I hope it was a mailbox. The only thing I know for sure is that I did mange to get the fries on.

Edit: Oh i've got another one!

I was working for this drywall company and the regular driver was out sick so I was flying solo for the first time. So I was in the yard and I got this forklift stuck in some mud, so I'm dicking around with this thing for an hour, so finally a snapped strap and and bent bumper later I get it out. So I'm like fuck it, not going to do the forklift work and I'm just going to do the deliveries.;but now I'm rammy so I throw the flatbed in reverse and go to swing it around to the dock and I misjudged the distance and manged to cave in the corner of the shed in. Me being rammy still. I load the truck and take off. Not telling anyone. Boy did I get an ear full later LOL.

#14 Basic, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014