1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joshuap, Feb 27, 2014.

1. joshuap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if anyone heard that Uganda just passed a law that all LGBTQ would be thrown in jail. I was thinking about this for a while now........... If I go to Uganda or anywhere that doesn't accept the LGBTQ community for a vacation or school trip will I have to be sentenced to that punishment as well? Like I live in Canada so I can go to school and live a normal life just like anybody else. I wants to know this because I don't really want to be hung or thrown in prison if I go somewhere on vacation. Thanks

2. BucKeTz

I did hear about the Uganda thing. I saw a documentary where a British gay guy went to Uganda just before the law passed. He even got an interview with the man responsible for the bill and almost got arrested. Normally, the embassy would fight for you to be released for something as small as being gay, but if you stole a car or something, you are on your own. So while the individuals of Uganda may show disdain and maybe even disgust, if they took action against you it would cause much bigger problems for them.

3. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Normally while visiting a foreign country you are required to adhere to the laws of the host country. Which means that yes, there is a risk of arrest if the mere fact of homosexuality is illegal, regardless of homosexual activity.

However, knowing that your country of origin would put up a pretty big fight over a national arrested for being gay, it is unlikely that they would actually target a foreigner, unless that foreigner were agitating for gay rights, or was actually caught in flagrante delicto. I suspect that any such arrest would spark a serious diplomatic incident.

I would not, however, take this to the bank. If you travel to such a country you must be cognizant of the risk inherent in so doing.

Also, in a country like Uganda where there is a general atmosphere of homophobia, the state is only one of the agents by which you could come to harm.

4. Foster

I wouldn't risk it by going.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes u could get shot executed so many horrible thing don't go I've already told myself if I ever travel out of the us I'm only going to Italy and Germany that's it

6. Techno Kid

I feel the same. Sucks, but I would not risk it.