1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your dog a picky eater? What dog food do you buy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Feb 28, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I have a picky eater (probably because she's gotten used to having some meat at dinner because I can't resist her begging eyes) but I also like to make sure she eats proper "dog food."

Presently, she's working on a bag of Iams Sensitive Naturals Dog Food (Ocean Fish), but I like to keep it varied and make sure it's relatively good quality. I was thinking of trying Blue Buffalo from Petco next time around.

I'm wondering what pet food y'all buy and if your dog is a picky eater?

2. apostrophied

Well, I have cats... But they are picky eaters at times. I'd say find one that works and stick with it. I wouldn't worry too much about variety, since these foods are designed to be suitable as your animal's sole source of nutrition. Stick with a higher-quality one like Iams. The higher the quality, the more filling it will be and the less your dog will need to eat. We fed the cats Iams since we got them and never had problems. Lately, we've been trying other (cheaper) brands, and let me tell you, they are ravenous and absolutely unbearable to have around, especially one of them. Constantly begging, following me everywhere, grabbing my feet, etc., etc. He wasn't like that on Iams, so as soon as we run out, it's back to Iams for good. I want a normal cat again!!!

You can always keep around some cheap ground beef or whatever as a treat. Probably better than any food you can get in the store.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dog literally eats plastic and has destroyed my hopes of growing tomatoes (he eats them all as they get ripe). He's not picky for the most part, but he won't eat some foods (he hates cauliflower and mushrooms). He also eats grapes (they should cause renal failure in dogs) and aluminium.

My other dog eats less interesting things, but she's not a picky eater either.

4. AlamoCity

Thanks. My dog prefers real meat more than dog food. I guess it's just part of the natural instincts. Plus, "commercial dog food" is a relatively newer invention. I just worried about variety because I wouldn't want her to get bored, haha.

You'd love my dog. If it ain't meat, she ain't touching it :lol:. Ever consider growing tomatoes on a hanging pot?

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He climbs a few metres to eat the grapes on the vines, I don't think he'd be any less persistent with high tomatoes. :lol:

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dog's picky too. What we do is mix wet dog food (cesar) and dry dog food. Maybe your dog would like wet dog food? That stuff is kinda expensive though...

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you thought of telling your dog about the starving dogs in other parts of the world? :lol:

I don't have relevant direct experience with dog food. However, one thing I will say for those who don't know this: a good diet is critical. I know someone who works for vet, and she's stated to me several times the following:

You either pay more for dog food now, or pay big vet bills later. You are what you eat applies to dogs as well as it does humans. One huge problem: a lot of the stuff available in grocery stores is junk. Another problem: some expensive stuff is better, but overrated. So lots of research is probably a good idea.

My one experience with better pet food was with one of my mother's cats years back. She had some health issues (some urinary tract issue), and the only way to keep the problem cleared up without constant drugs appeared to be good cat food. The cat food: expensive compared to Friskies. Not having to jam an eye dropper down that little monster's throat every morning: priceless.

8. antimacy

If you're switching foods for your dog, make sure you don't switch the food all at once. My vet recommends that when switching to a new type or brand, do it gradually. For the first two days, have a ratio of 25/75 of new to old food. For the next two days, do 50/50. For the last two days, do 75/25 new to old food. Then serve only the new food.

A fast transition can be harsh on a dog's stomach!

Anyway, I feed my dog Wellness brand food, in their weight management variety. I dd a lot of research on food when I first got my dog, and this seemed like the best brand for me. My vet recommended the weight management stuff, though, because my dog's breed is prone to weight gain which is really bad for his health!

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My two kitties are Bengals, a hybrid breed, and their great-great-grandparents are wild Asian leopards. So they're very "big cat" like, including their digestive systems. If I feed them regular cat food, they get bad diarrhea.

Until a few years ago, the only option for feeding Bengals was raw meat. But there are several companies now that make very high-quality, high-protein dry food with no fillers and almost no grains.

The food I use now is Orajen. It's a small Canadian company and their food is from all organic sources, and the Orajen Cat is mostly made from chicken and other meats, with a small amount of organic rice. They make similar food for dogs.

I did a fair amount of research, and also tested which foods my cats liked. The Orajen was the winner, both in terms of what I was able to find by doing a bit of research and digging, and also in terms of my cats liking it.

One of the big selling points for me is that Orajen is actually made in the small factory they own somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Canada. Almost every other commercial pet food, including many of the other premium brands, is made in one of two enormoujs factories in the US. And so many of the same ingredients go into all of the commercial pet food, regardless of whose name is on the label. That's why about 50 brands of pet food have had major recalls in the past several years... it was all traced back to contamination from this one factory where so much of the food is made.

By buying from Orajen (or another smaller company that actually makes their own food and doesn't subcontract it), you end up with a high quality food that is healthy, most animals really like, and is at less risk of recall or contamination. Downside is... it's spendy. I think about $60 for a 16 pound bag, making it more expensive per pound than most of the food I buy for myself :slight_smile:

10. eggnog

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Orajen is excellent. I have 2 cockapoos -- a 2 year old and a 4 month old. The older one was pretty picky when she was younger so we tried several kinds of food including Orajen. Fish for Dogs is another high quality dry food.

But these days both of them are on a raw diet, Natural Instincts. Not sure if it's available in the US but here in the UK you can order 1kg tubs on their website and they deliver it all the next day. You keep them in the freezer and just defrost as needed. 1 tub usually lasts a few days and they love it. I know feeding raw is a little controversial. Our vet rolls her eyes whenever we talk about it, but neither dog has ever had any stomach upset on it or runny poos or anything. They are both really healthy.

Also, as a treat and to give a little bit of texture we give the older one raw chicken wings occasionally. The raw bones don't splinter and it's good for their digestion.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My monsters eat Purina One Lamb and Rice. My German Shepherd is allergic to chicken, so they get lamb and rice dog food, as well as table scraps. That said, since I've come to college, I've never seen so much food go to waste. Where in college you throw it away, in my house, you just hand it under the table and it's taken care of.

12. Thedistra

My dogs are not picky. I buy 4Health Salmon and potato. Its better quality than like purina, Iams, etc and decently priced. When I make more money I'm switching to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. Theo will eat anything and I do mean anything whether its edible or not. Raw Tomatoes, pickles, Lysol (don't ask), etc.

If I could afford Orijen I would go with it.

13. Nikky DoUrden

hes not, he'll eat tissue and poo and .. everything if i wont stop him xD

14. animequeen567

Frozen Bil Jac.

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I had dogs they used to eat everything so there was never an issue, but I used to take care of my friend's dog when his family went out of town and she was very picky. Adding a tiny bit of water to the dry dog food seemed to do the trick. Much better than dealing with that canned Alpo stuff that always made me gag.

16. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We'll from working with many different dogs as well as having tried feeding it to my own dogs I wouldn't try giving your dog blue buffalo. Most dogs who eat it have diarrhea or refuse to eat it at all. Not to mention when I worked at a vets office we were informed that it has really high potassium levels in the food so it can lead to health problems down the road.

I feed all my animals Pro plan dry food. They all seem to love it and it's what our vet recommends. I have one cat and two dogs that are really picky but the other two animals will pretty much eat anything. Since I take the dogs to daycare and they usually won't eat I add a small amount of parmasean cheese to their dry food and it seems to do the trick, it's better than wet food and not as fattening.

#16 mobrien1993, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  17. sweetgayboy

sweetgayboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    soft dog foods the smell is fowl but they love it also cut it up into chunks they like it that way.

18. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what the brands are, my parents feed 'em. Our lovely dog gets a little bit of can food in the morning and evening. He's not picky, he is constantly begging for food and constantly licking the gross floors for any little speck. He's following what the vet said because he needed to lose weight, but it worries me because he doesn't get much at all and he always seems sad and hungry now. :/

Our cats on the other hand, SO PICKY. They eat dried cat food, well two of them eat wet when the dog does as their main food. One for health reasons, one because she wanted wet food too and they thought it might also help her health issues.
    They will NOT eat human food. Anything, 99% of the time. Not one of the three.
    It's soooo weird. All of our cats before them, and we've had alot, went wild for human food. These don't give one shit about it. :slight_smile:

19. AlamoCity

Thanks. I just researched and decided to buy Orijen Regional Red (had the better ingredients). The lady who worked at the specialty store gave me the same instructions as @antimacy said. Will slowly change her diet for the better. The lady said my dog was going from McDonalds to the steakhouse in quality :lol:.

20. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes one is but mainly when she's PMSing/coming into heat. Then she eats her butt off. I feed raw only now, saw a miraculous turn around in my older dog in terms of ease of movement/muscle tone.