1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if Rome never fell?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

What if the Roman Empire had stayed at its height until the present day?

2. ScatteredEarth

Alot more Caesar salads maybe?

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Queerness would probably be a lot more tolerated.

Although they'd probably be just as obsessed with all thing Japanese as we Americans are. ^^

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's way too hypothetical and the consequences too large to even try to respond to. Not to mention that it would require Rome to have been different during its existence so that it wouldn't have collapsed; Rome fell because what Rome was wasn't able to hold together.

A possible question to ask might be "what if the Roman culture, Europe as a whole, North Africa, and the Levant had totally different political, religious, and administrative circumstances enabling a hypothetical empire (because it can't be Rome as Rome was, otherwise it too would fall) to rule from central Italy?" Which is basically a non-question with little purpose. And there's the fact that the "Fall of Rome" didn't really exist; it was a very slow decay that finally ended in 1454.

I guess I'm being a pointless pedant, but I hate the belief that hypothetical situations in history can be judged in any near-acurate way, especially when they happened so long ago and caused so many other things to happen.

5. Techno Kid

This is true, but when most people think of "the Roman Empire" they think of one where the capital is in Rome.

6. Cygne

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Orgies all around, probably. And I'd be hecka grateful for it.

7. Aquilo

The Roman Empire has been longer Christian than Pagan in their history. So probably not :/

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Barbarians wouldn't have conquered Roman territories or established kingdoms in the West; trade, wealth, and influence would have been largely confined to the Mediterranean; there wouldn't have been a Renaissance or a Reformation, at least the way we've come to know the two; colonies? I'm not sure if Rome would have had any interest in exploring the Americas, since the primary reasons were to find an alternative route to Asia, and Rome already had that, though establishing trade or colonies with the wealthy civilizations of Mesoamerica or elsewhere would be a remote possibility. They really didn't add or build upon classical Greek knowledge, and were more practical when it came to applying it. Yeah, I see a slow decline one way or another, with something like the "Dark Ages", along with the famines, wars, and diseases that wrecked Europe to take their toll one way or another...

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm willing to bet it would look a lot like the US, but with more focus on architecture XD. But yeah, the late Roman Empire was as rife with corruption and decadence from the elite classes, and of course had an unwieldy monstrosity of a military. But overall its citizens would have a good quality of life compared to some places of the world.

10. Nikky DoUrden

None of us would be alive then to talk about it.
    In a sense that it would change all history events following it, thus we would never been born >.>

11. BelleFromHell

More acceptance towards homosexuality, no debate over teaching evolution in schools...
    the Roman Empire had running toilets, so I'm sure we'd have some pretty badass technology by now too.

12. Munyal

This thread broke my brain. Though yes, the consequences really are too large to imagine, as said more eloquently by Aussie792.