1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Health Disorder without the low self esteem

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by treeofleaves, Mar 1, 2014.

1. treeofleaves

So basically ive done a lot of research and stuff about mental health disorders like depression, anxiety and what not. And it seems like in a lot of mental health disorders, low self esteem plays a large role.
    So ive been wondering if there are mental health disorders that aren't centered around or involve having low self esteem? Or if its possible to have a mental health disorder i.e. anixety, depression etc. without having a low self esteem

sorry if this sounded ignorant at all :kiss:

:bang:

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, externalizing disorders (disorders involving 'acting out' behavior, such as aggression, committing crimes, etc) are a lot less likely to involve low self-esteem. For most of these conditions, there are two subgroups - one group with high internalizing (depression, anxiety) and high externalizing, and one group with high externalizing only. The first group tend to have low self-esteem, the second group tends to have high self-esteem. In fact, a lot of this second group have Narcissistic Personality Disorder (inappropriately high self-esteem combined with devaluing others).

You can be depressed or anxious without having low self-esteem, too, though it's a pretty common symptom.

3. sweetgayboy

sweetgayboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ya I have bad bad anxiety attacks but I never have had low self esteem its complicated I guess u could say.

4. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I thought everyone secretly had low self esteem.

5. Foxface

you can absolutely have the disorders you mentioned without suffering low self esteem

Something to consider about depression is the manner of depression you're looking at. We all know of depression as a mood disorder but then there is also situational depression too. These are people who can be high spirited but have had such a terrible situation as to enter into a depressed state

Also, consider some of the psychotic disorders where self esteem may not enter into it. Though the reality is low self esteem can always accompany disorder

6. NotBrokenYet

I've struggled with clinical depression and an anxiety disorder for many years and I don't have low self-esteem or poor body image or anything. Its not a prerequisite for diagnosis, just something that's often a correlation.