1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First LGBT Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BiPenguin, Mar 2, 2014.

1. BiPenguin

Yesterday I went into Sydney with my sixteen year old daughter for our first attendance of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. While people were behind metal fences erected along the pathway of the parade, we were sitting in one of the allocated disabled areas which was on the parade side of the fence, like an indent.

Due to this, many of those in the parade would interact with us as they passed through. An aged lady was spoiled with the offerings of hugs, kisses, flowers and more. Not to forget the two journalists who spoke to her. There was a young man in a wheelchair who was obviously known to many in the parade as they addressed him by name.

As I sat there with my daughter, I found myself tapped on the leg with one of those leather bound whipping sticks I don't know the name of, kissed on the cheek by two women and smooched on the mouth by two men.

The first kiss on the mouth was completely unexpected as I was waiting to shake hands with him as others were but when he got to me it was straight in with a smooch on the lips.

Later on, a fella walked out from the middle or other side of the parade and asked me if he could kiss me. Whose going to say no? No tongue but hey, he excelled at the lip pash. :lol:

It was a great night with rainbow lions which were one of my favourites. So many different lines of representation including uniformed serving members of the Navy, Air Force, Army, State Police, State Fire/Emergency Services, etc.

The Liberal, Labor and Greens political parties had their representations. There was a Gay Catholics groups, a private Grammar Schools and more.

The parade started with 'Dykes on Bikes' that went for approx 3 hours.

I'm going back next year. I might even go dressed as, Sheree.