1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just grabbed life by the balls!!! India and Nepal travel advice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sully, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Sully

I've realised recently, and I knows it's cliched, but, life is too short.

Yesterday a friend texted me, an invitation to travel to India and Nepal. So. That's that. Flights were booked that evening, because you know why? F:***:k it. Who knows when such an offer will pop up again!

Has anyone been to these countries? Advice would be great!

Thanks.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey - exciting and spontaneous - I like it!!

I have been to india twice, but never to Nepal
    India is a thrilling place .. read up well about visas and inoculations
    Have a blast !!!

3. Foxface

Wow I can actually participate in this!

Ok I have not been to India

I spent two weeks in Nepal during graduate school. It is a lovely country and reminds you of simplicity. It is a huge culture shock for me to go from America to Nepal.

I stayed in Kathmandu at a foundation I won't name (not sure about rules of that)

I traveled the Monkey Temple (an amazing Buddhist temple in Kathmandu) and a few other temples. We hiked up the mountain right behind our foundation. We did speeches at St. Xavier's school of Social Work. We were treated to a private concert by Rudra (amazing) and many dances and plays.

Now I have to make a HUMONGOUS recommendation. While in Nepal, drop some cash for a night's stay at The Peaceful Cottage and Cafe du Mont. It's a hotel of sorts at the tip top of Mt Nagarkot. The food is amazing and the staff is wonderful. Ask them to wake you up at the break of dawn. If you have a lovely fog free and cloudless day you can easily see the peak of Mt. Everest in the morning. The day we stayed there the sun came up behind the peak and it was awe-inspiring. Get some tea or coffee and sit on the observation deck on the roof...I can't even do it justice

On thing to know about Nepal is the power-shares. In Kathmandu, there are power-drop times. So no matter where you are in the city there will be a period of time you will not have electricity or connection but it's usually about 5-7 hours a day and you can download a map and table of when and where the power drops happen so you can plan ahead.

I hope you go to Nepal. It was amazing

4. Sully

Thanks! We fly out of Nepal! We have 2 months total. That's about as far ahead as we've planned! Nothing like spontaneous decision, I think I'm still in shock :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. AAASAS

It's good you did that, but a lot of people don't do random shit like this because they have financial, and familial restrictions(A.K.A too poor, or a family).

I know a lot of people that have been to India, all I know is there are a shit load of people and it smells.

That's what happens when over a billion people live in an area a little bit bigger than Texas.

Other than that I know the Natural beauty is awesome, and that there is a lot of cultural shit to do.

I'm pretty sure you could spend your whole life in India, and not see everything so get as much done as possible.

From what you've said it seems your staying in the North, since your going to Nepal, and then India. So you get to see the Himalayas which is awesome.

6. Sully

Which I more or less am, but I'll deal with that later.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Where are you planning to go in India? It is a diverse country, and WooEEE's post has a lot of bad stereotypes. It is a big country, 4.7 times bigger than Texas.

My parents are from the southwest state of Kerala, which is very beautiful (lots of coconut trees and warm climate). In that area, you might check out one of port cities like Cochin.

Definitely try going on the trains. That is a very interesting and inexpensive experience.

8. semperfortis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thankyou for saying beautiful things about my country :slight_smile:

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spent a year traveling in India and a month traveling in Nepal between my undergraduate and graduate degrees--amazing trip. They are both beautiful places. India in particular is huge and full of really different kinds of areas so make a plan because even with two months you are going to miss things. Even with the year I feel like I missed things. Have a great time!

Oops, I just saw that this was an older thread. Hope you had a good trip.