1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you befriend an anti gay activist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So you become friends with this person, later you found that s/he doesn't believe in gay rights and doesn't know that you are homosexual, although that person is nice and great. Would you still become friend with him/her? Personally I believe that being friends with that person isn't good.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am friends with many anti-gay people. Even though it bugs me, they believe what they believe and I believe what I believe. Being friends with someone should be contingient on their personality and not their beliefs. Every is entitled to their own beliefs and who am I to not befriend them. Let it be known that this will cause problems in the long run but in the short run, it shouldn't matter.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not if they were open about it.

If they agreed to keep quiet and not bring it up I'd be ok with it.

--------------------------
    (XD That'd be a case-by-case thing really).

4. Hiems

If this friend was very close, I would try to come out to see if he/she has a change of heart. If not, then I would likely end that friendship. I don't want to surround myself with people who condone treating me and other LGBT folks as second class citizens.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends on how strongly they feel about gay rights. If they are okay with LGBT people, but simply don't believe in same-sex marriage, then it won't be a problem. But if you're dealing with someone who is a complete homophobic intolerant asswipe, one who believes homosexuals should be punished for their orientation, it's best to not befriend them.

6. AAASAS

I have to work with homophobes everyday.

After a while you honestly just don't associate yourself personally with them, and detach yourself when having conversations with them.

I almost treat these people like robots, they have functions and I can interact with them, that's about it. I don't like thinking of them as respectable people.

7. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    There's a difference between someone who doesn't agree with homosexuality and an anti-gay activist.

Im friends with about 3-5 people who are religiously dead set on not being ok with gay marriage, but accepting of all homosexual people. Now, if they were protesting Anti-Gay Rights (including marriage) on the streets and screaming "GOD HATES FAGS!"

Yeah they would be done to me...

Really if any of my friends were the kind of people to call people "fags" as a generic insult, or "gay" as a generic insult... id be done with that too. We get to choose our friends.. i choose well :3

8. Simple Thoughts

I disagree. You should take advantage of the opportunity. You have a chance to introduce them to the true face of someone who's LGBT. That's an opportunity to show them that they're misconceptions are wrong. Befriend them, make them see you for who you are then blindside them with the truth. If they don't' accept you after that at least you tried, but who knows? Maybe you'll change a few hearts this way ^^

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Key to the thread right here.

Somebody who doesn't approve of gays but keeps it to themselves? Relatively little harm done. But an activist is likely to be a callous loudmouth whom I wouldn't want to be friends with even excluding that trait.

10. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I tend to dislike spending a lot of time around activists of any sort IF that's the primary thing that they talk about day in and day out. I could see myself being friends with an anti gay activist but you can bet your buttons they would know my stance on their opinions. If a friendship was otherwise strong enough to with stand that then, yes, I could be friends with someone such as that.

11. Sorceress of Az

I am of the belief that if their anti-lbgt their automatically hateful people at heart who despise the LGBT communities, so I refuse to become friends with them, I still show them the respect they don't deserve but besides that it goes no further.

My Grandfather is the type who says we should all be round up and shot, a Christian Fundamentalist like him is an ancient fossil living in an archaic world filled with hate and bigotry.
    I don't hate my Grandfather, but he does piss me off, and I will not ever consider him a good person.

Hate will never cease by hate only love can do that.

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't be friends with someone who didn't support LGTB rights. Or disability rights.

13. okthen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Allow me to answer this question in song: nooooo!

14. FrozenFae

Never. I have a zero tolerance policy on spending any time with bigots. I don't care if I have known the person for twenty years - they show any signs of racism, homophobia, sexism or any sort of bigotry or prejudice, I cut them out of my life and never look back.

Rod Serling once said that the greatest force of evil in the world was prejudice, and I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment

15. AlamoCity

Same boat here. My best friends are Catholic and anti same-sex marriage but told me they would never discriminate someone because they're gay, but wouldn't want to make a gay wedding cake. I'm perfectly ok with their stance.

Now, as RSwordsman said, there's a difference between being anti-LGBT and being anti-gay activist.

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea, just to show them how hypocritical they look.

17. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely not.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depends on how hateful they are but generally no. Sexuality is a huge part of people's lives that is bound to come up in conversation eventually. Straight people like talking about their crushes and relationships, so we should be able to do the same in return without being afraid of how a friend would react.

19. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not a chance, even if their just a little homophobic. I tend not to get along with poisonous people.

20. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is my feeling as well. While I certainly don't agree with them, I can get along just fine with people who are not supportive of same-sex marriage, particularly for religious reasons, as long as they are tolerant and not full of hate. Anything more extreme than that is where I draw the line. I'm not interested in having anyone who believes I'm an inferior or damaged person in my life.