1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russia invading Ukraine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Alexander69

If Russia does invade the Ukraine then the US and UK must protect the Ukraine which essentially means war because of the treaty signed in 1994 "The budapest memorandum" which at the time the US president Bill Clinton and British prime minister John Major signed.

I mean why does there always have to be a fight why can't things just be talked over like omfg really? Like come on there has to be another alternative to invasion. I'm just scared because I don't want there to be another war and I'm having a hard time sleeping Because of this what if this goes nuclear? I mean there has to be a peaceful alternative..... Can't there?

I hope that everyone is safe out there tonight in the Ukraine ill say a prayer maybe god can give a sign or do something to stop this, inocent lives don't need to be lost for the ignorance of war again...... We don't need another world war we don't. This is 2014 there are better ways.

2. Harve

You should instead be asking Putin that.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Putin should be arrested, especially if he starts WW3.

4. Beware Of You

I am terrified of a war with Russia, the numbers required to achieve such a war would mean that they may have to start drafting people, being 23 and with a degree in engineering I would probably be one of the first called up.

Lets hope this can be resolved non-violently

I know this is scaremongering, but this seemed to have been done in history before : Russia starts persecuting minorities (i.e us), then has an Olympics to show off how amazing they are (Sochi) and now they are invading a country unproved.

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 11:43 AM ----------

Sadly you are right, the Budapest agreement guaranteed UK and US assistance in the case of an invasion of Ukraine. By extension it would probably involve the rest of NATO.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Interesting side point is that Russia signed up to the Budapest agreement too.

6. Aquilo

Read Nineteen Eighty-Four by Orwell to get an insight in Putin's mind. This is not a smart move for Russia if it wished to become more influential and become a better country. However this is a smart move for Putin, so he can stay in power and keeps the respect of his people.

Don't worry, this won't go nuclear. Ukraine is basically considered Russia's backyard and the EU doesn't have the power, is too divided and is too dependent on Russia to complain. The Americans won't gain much by opposing Russia either.

It'll probably end up like previous moves made by Russia in Georgia and Moldova. The pro-Russian part will become 'autonomous' under heavy Russian influence and there will be peace.. And the people in Russia and the separated 'autonomous' republics will cheer for their 'victorious' leader, at the price of even more countries with bad relations with Russia.

There is some danger though.. civil war between the Russian speaking eastern part of Ukraine and the Ukrainian western part. Hopefully that won't happen.

7. Beware Of You

I heard that Russia voided their commitments when they had nuclear subs in that Naval Base, and their commitment would be void as soon as they invaded

8. Edelstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1984 is not about russia or ussr.. it was written as author's seeing of england..

9. Alexander69

So would Canada get involved? OMG this is terrifying

10. Aquilo

Yes, but it gives a good insight in the decisions of dictatorships to stay in power. Of course Russia is not a total dictatorship, but Putin uses a few of the same tactics. (Nationalism, use of an external enemy, wars to support patriotism, cult of personality, oppression of 'enemies of the state')

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 03:27 PM ----------

No. Probably the most that the 'western' countries will do are threatening with sanctions, seizing of bank accounts of (pro-)Russian leaders and at most an embargo. The real trouble will be for the Ukrainians, not for the rest of the world.

11. Alexander69

Would Germany be affected? Anyone know because I have family in Germany in Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich and hamburg I also have family in London and in Italy in Rome and Venezia is all Europe going to be at risk? :O

12. kem

kem

^Doubt it. Like Aquilo said.

I am a bit worried though as I live in Finland, which, as you may or may not know, is right next to Russia. I will object to war no matter what but the possibility of conflict, no matter how low, troubles me.

13. Edelstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aquilo, yes you are totally right.

14. casper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If Russia is a democracy how can Putin be in power for so long then? Isn't it just a dictatorship that says it is a democracy?

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know the Russian system, but I do know not all democracies have a rule that a leader can't be voted in more than twice. Maybe Putin just keeps getting re-elected? (Wild speculation - I have no clue what the political system of Russia is like.)

16. Nikky DoUrden

Russia make their own definition of democracy.
    Sorry, I mean Putin is making his own definition of democracy.

and ...
    1) in a nuclear war USA can defend itself so no worries there
    2) Einstein wasn't joking when he said the 4th world war will be with stones and sticks
    3) why there must be violence ? because biggots only understand the violence language, see, its a matter of language-barrier

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 10:12 AM ----------

I heard Kasparov saying the elections are not legit

17. Techno Kid

Russia has NEVER been a democracy.

18. casper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't we all just bring a lot of money together to hire the best sniper in the world and let him shoot a nice bullet right through putins head :grin:

19. Edelstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately if you shoot a nice bullet in putins head it wont change anything. He is just a doll we see on TV and the only one we know to blame. Yes he is reelected because other candidates are just ridiculous to imagine as presidents.

20. Joelouis

Didn't Putin get voted in as Prime Minister then had the rules changed so that the powers were switched from the president to the PM?

Or something like that anyway.

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 11:29 AM ----------

I don't like Putin anyhow. He was quoted as saying the UK was an insignificant island who nobody takes any notice of! Well he certainly does judging by the way he keeps slagging us off.
    Russia went down hill when Gorbachev left office.