1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go on holidays alone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 19drummer88, Mar 4, 2014.

1. 19drummer88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so, I' ve just been left, most of my friends are in relationships or dont have time in the summer to go on a trip. I am from europe and I wanted to go on a longer trip, appr. from mid of August till mid october, I was thinking about going to the canadian/us east coast.
    So my question is: would you go on a trip like that alone and just try to find some people to backpack with there?

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes done it

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless I was going to be visiting friends during my trip, I wouldn't.

4. justjade

If I was single, I would. I mean, I wouldn't just find random people to backpack with, but I'd go on a trip alone. I've never done it. It could be interesting.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No a true vacation alone isn't a vacation in my opinion

6. Simple Thoughts

Meh, if I was ever gonna go on a trip anywhere it'd probably be alone. So might as well, at some point you've gotta learn to enjoy your own company, and you never who you'll meet that way ^^

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first trip alone was at the age of 22, I went to Europe and Israel and wandered for about four and a half months. Being alone meant I was totally free to do as I pleased and never having to negotiate anything with anyone. I was totally open to meeting people and making friends, seeing the sights at my own pace, and staying or leaving as I wished. There were some romantic encounters (with women at that time) and some friendships that kept us meeting in different countries.

Yes, there was loneliness too, but these short episodes did not last. The greatest fun was meeting local people who would show me around and give me insight into what was going on. In the Netherlands, for example, there was a rumour that fake 20 Guilder bills were in circulation. Had I not met someone (who to this day is a dear friend) who would tell me this, I would not have known why people kept inspecting my 20-Guilder bills with particular scrutiny...

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I think that too.

9. EatYourRikkios

Oh, I definitely would. The minute I get out of the Army, I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. Probably by myself. And I couldn't be happier. I totally plan on using what leave I can to take a month and backpack around Europe. If I've got friends with me, awesome. If not? Also awesome. I'll be ecstatic either way. :slight_smile:

10. Yosia

I guess i would as i am a lonely person anyway ^^

But if someone did ask to come and they were my friend then i would let them

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd prefer the company of my friends, but I would definitely consider traveling abroad on my own. There is an optional year at my university where I'll get the chance to study abroad, and I'm considering taking it. Current options include USA, France, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Singapore, Sweden, Spain, Australia, South Korea, Japan, China, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa, Hungary and Taiwan. Sweden is pretty high on my list of places to visit.

#11 imnotreallysure, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. Straw_berry

Going on my own would be more comfortable to me at the moment Nyu~, But i'd still go on Vacation with my best friend if she wanted to Nyu~

13. Gallatin

Sure, why not? It might get lonely at times, but there is a certain appeal in being able to do whatever, go wherever, and not have to worry about someone else not wanting to.

Given the choice though I'd rather travel with someone (or a group of friends/family).

14. timo

I go to concerts alone but don't think I'd go on holiday by myself.

On the other hand, a friend of mine decided to go to Australia for 6 months, alone. It's something I'd never expected him to do but he has an amazing time even though he knew no one upon arriving months ago.
    Got me thinking, maybe I should go to Berlin or something for a few days just to experience what it's like... but if I go there I'd rather go with someone else.

15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

About to do it in a few months. My friends get on my nerves when Im around them for too long anyway.

16. kem

kem

Yes, I'd do it. It's fun to go on vacation with friends, but going alone is truly liberating.

17. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no i wouldn't. i'd prefer to go on a holiday with someone. i'm weird that way.

18. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's hardly weird mate!

Someone previously said they'd go to a concert alone, but not on holiday. I agree with that to degree.

I stress that it's really up to you. It's personal preference because going alone shouldn't cause any problems assuming you're happy and confident to do so, especially in a foreign country.

I often contemplate going to watch a movie alone, which is considered really weird and apparently makes you look silly over here. That said, it doesn't really bother me and I'd still be willing to go if the prices for the movies didn't cost more than buying the DVD... :bang:

A holiday though is a different kettle of fish, you'll be far away from the people you'd regularly see for a while (though this can be a good thing!). It's not something I'd completely rule out doing myself. But If I were to go alone, I imagine it would be in my country (England). It would probably be something you could thoroughly enjoy if you properly prepare and know where/what to do though.

#18 RedDev84, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  19. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I wouldn't. I would rather go on a vacation with someone.

20. C P

C P

I do a lot of stuff alone, so yeah. I think it'd be pretty relaxing.