1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT People Of Colour

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Are there any on this site? If so, did you have trouble getting in a relationship?

2. Bolin

I am African American. I was in a relationship for six months last year, and shortly after that ended, I fell in mutual love with someone else and almost dated him. Both men were white. Despite this, the nagging question of "Are they even really attracted to black men?" was always present in the back of my mind. To answer your question, though, I didn't have any trouble. Both of them pursued me first.

3. AlamoCity

Well, I'm Hispanic. I've never been in a relationship, but that has more to do with me not being out. I see many interracial relationships where I'm from. Mainly, Hispanic-white. Then again, they are straight (don't know any gay couples personally).

4. Emberblaze

I'm African American, 100%, but I'm preeetty light skinned. (See my profile pic and you'll understand.)

But, I've never been in a relationship with a guy, sooo, I really can't attest to it. I tend to find myself more attracted to hispanic and asian men over black and white anyway. But I'll admit that I tend to see more attractive white men than I do blacks. But when I DO see an attractive black guy, i'm like "oh snaaap..."

Hell, but the guy I have a crush on right now is black. BASICALLY, all of this rambling is to say this: yes, there are gays that find blacks attractive, don't lose hope!

5. C P

C P

I'm black and, although not out or necessarily looking for a relationship, I do find it tough to find someone in general. So far it's been guys who connect and then lose interest when they find out I'm not their 'preference' or they end up just vanishing after talking to me over a longer period of time(those who apparently seem to like all of me).

I think I just have very bad luck with this though because I've had a couple of guys offline who seem to have shown subtle signs of interest(for obvious reasons; though I'm hopelessly oblivious to knowing whether it is interest, so...) but then I never seem to run into them again.

As of now. remaining single just looks better and better really.

6. Amerigo

yes, i am an "ethnic" gay. i think my difficulties in falling into any kind of relationship, be it intimate or not, stem from my troubles with getting close with people, rather than my complexion. nevertheless, life is full of hierarchies, and the laws of white privilege exist in this community too (along with male domination and ability over disability). my experience as an "LGBT person of colour" is that i still, for the most part, feel like an "other". it's not so much LGBT individuals who encourage this mindset, i think on this website especially our differences are celebrated (and let's face it, degrees of racism exist everywhere, just like homophobia), rather i feel it's the general promotion of the gay as a young, upper-middle class, white american male with no problems and perfect abs etc. ordinary, real people like myself, and especially those worse off than myself, are often forgotten. i do not wish for the lgbt community to be divided further, but it does make sense to recognise the inequalities between an already marginalised group.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I am black and so far I haven't had any issues finding a date. When most people look at me or talk to me they assume that I am biracial (African American/Caucasian.) I've even had people flat out ask me, which is kind of odd because it is definitely a turn off and it should not matter. Honestly, I'd prefer to volunteer that sort of information rather than being asked.

I mean, I have only dated within my race, but I've always been open to dating anyone, no matter what their ethnicity is. The color of my skin should not be a factor regarding what type of person I am and or how someone would assume I'd treat them because I am black.

I'm really good friends with this girl who is Hispanic and a lesbian. And well, she and I have thought about dating, but when she told me that her Mom does not like black people, it scared me a bit. I guess I felt like I'd never be accepted by her family, specifically her Mom.

It's already difficult trying to find a date being LGBT because of the invisibility of LGBT people in my area. And due to that, most of my success when it comes to dating is credited to some wonderful dating services.

It doesn't really bother me, but to think that someone would prefer not to date me because of my race is really sad. Although, I know that everyone is entitled to date whomever they find attractive.

#7 pinklov3ly, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hey i may not date you bcz we are far but i am here! <3

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2014 at 10:57 AM ----------

to fall in love looking dosnt matter...

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I am Hispanic (though you can't really tell) but I have been on a few dates as a woman. People do stare and comment at me... but that is because of my hispanic booty(from the Hormones lol)

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've dated Mexican-Americans, one German-Irish-Hungarian, a Filipino... it hasn't really been a problem for me.

Likewise, it could be your superior diet. :lol:

Unfortunately, I inherited my mother's flat bottom... so much for stereotypes. :rolle:

11. BelleFromHell

In addition to being caucasian, I'm nearly half Native American and a teenie bit hispanic. I've been single all my life, so I don't know if my race will affect anything. The girl I have a crush on is half hispanic though, so I don't think she'd care about me being mixed. :slight_smile:

12. Gen

Gen

Honestly, I don't feel that I have difficultly getting noticed by those within and outside of my ethnicities.

It's unfortunate that something so simply has even the possibility of pushing people off as less 'desirable'. I am very much aware of the severe obsession with lighter skin tones in society and find it disconcerting, but I would be fooling myself to believe that I have been equally victimized as a result of those ideals. I have a friend that is pure black and, despite the fact that we both classify ourselves as African American on documentation that only allots one racial selection, I am largely in the middle of the spectrum. I know that racial biases/preferences aren't as finitely applicable to me as to to him and I find it ridiculous.

Has anyone heard the infamous, "I'm not usually into ______ guys/girls, but..."? I have no idea why some people still believe that this phrase should be received as a compliment. It's unimaginably objectifying.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm Hispanic but light skinned, and I've been in a relationship for over a year now with my girlfriend, and she's Caucasian. Race doesn't play much of a factor into our relationship, and I'm aware of a few other people who've shown interest in me, but some have asked about my ethnicity before, but rather out of curiosity which I don't mind. So not much trouble here, no.

14. C P

C P

Not sure if I fully grasp what you are trying to say here in relation to my post...

Either way, what I meant is that I'm not specifically looking for a relationship or date or anything(no experience with either) but rather just making the effort to make connections in a way that could potentially lead to something in the future(in general, not necessarily with said people I've talked to).

Things like what are being talked about here(and what I mentioned in my post) have been problematic though and have me usually pretty hesitant on keeping up the effort, especially since it's taken a hell of a lot for me to break out of my little 'closet shell' as is.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Normally, I'm not picky about people's word choices. But the term "person of color" is stupid. I'm not a "POC", I'm just Chinese."POC" lumps Chinese in with Kenyans, Mexicans with Israelites, and so on and so forth. Nein. Non. Nyet. It's like the Berlin Conference, but on a much smaller scale.
    Lumping rival ethnic groups together is a really bad idea.

Back to the subject, though... Yeah, I'm a bi Chinese guy. No, nobody has any issue with that.
    I do not believe kids my age should be dating yet, if only because the sappy displays of affection of high school couples tend to put me in a state of disgust and/or homicidal rage.

16. AlamoCity

Question: Do you consider different ethnicities that are non-white as "rival" or were you just alluding to how lumping ethnicities and tribes a la Berlin Conference where different ethno-cultural factions were lumped together and lead to strife and war?

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2014 at 03:00 AM ----------

I must add that I too dislike the term "person of color" but you must remember that the original poster is British so that may be the preferred term across the pond as a blanket term for "non-whites." I am not personally fond of the term.

Even though I am (and look) Hispanic, all of the historical/legal family records lists us as "White." These legal documents were probably from an era where "races" in the US and Texas were simply black and white, literally.

An example of this is Perez v. Sharp, where California's Supreme Court struck down anti-miscegenation laws. Andrea Perez was a Mexican woman (racially listed as "white") and wanted to marry a black man. She couldn't because her race was legally "white" and marriage between blacks and whites were illegal.

The terms of "race" and "color" are very loaded and reflect the period of post-Darwin science trying to "categorize" the world; hence, we had the three/four major "races," to wit, Caucasoid, Mongoloid/Malay, and Negroid. It gets very interesting when you tried to pigeonhole people into "boxes."

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most LGBT people are PoC. That's a pretty obvious fact. I find it pretty gross how white gays are seen as the standard for LGBT people.

18. Alexander69

I have a thing for all races it doesn't matter to me if you are good looking an a good person I say screw the colour it shouldn't matter! :slight_smile:

19. Hexagon

Well, not in my experience. 'person of colour' seems to me to be pretty stupid. And it is really suggestive of a group of people who are in a small minority. At least where I live in the UK, white people are not really in a majority.

20. Emulator

There are many LGBT "people of colour" as you call them.

Honestly speaking, many of these people have been able to find partners. In my opinion, what matters is the person themself, not their skin colour. :slight_smile:

On my part, I'm Chinese. Not sure about the ease of finding a partner, but I'm not too interested in one...