1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miiaaaaa, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have no idea where else to post it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Basically, I have little to no motivation to do ANYTHING. And I'm not entirely sure why. What's got me thinking about this is the drum kit that's currently sitting in the corner of my bedroom! For years and years, I've wanted to play the drums. I air drummed to most songs I listened to constantly. (And still do, a lot.) But when it comes to actually getting up and playing it and actually properly learn to play, I just can't bring myself to do it. I got it 2 years ago and have barely touched it in the last year and a half. I want to want to play it. And when my housemates ask why I don't play it or why I don't put it in the living room so everyone can have a go, I have no answers. Part of me is wondering if it's worth selling it to someone who would actually use it. (Plus have so much more bedroom space!) But then, what if I regret selling it and my need to play it flares up again. I listen to music a lot and it makes me want to play drums, but can't seem to get up and do it.

Same thing extends to learning a new language, playing video games I've recently bought, doing my uni work, learning how to draw. They're all things I want to be able to work at, but for some reason, I go to bed filled with motivation, then when I wake up... POOF! All gone.

Any ideas on what to do? Any advice is helpful. Just running out of ideas here.

2. Simple Thoughts

Welcome to the club!

I used to have a guitar sitting around for years that I couldn't play if I wanted to. I dunno what it is, but I can't ever seem to muster up motivation myself. Lately I've been able to get myself riled up for a handful of weeks, but then the drive just completely dies away all over again. I dunno why, just not easily motivated I guess.

I wish I could help ya, but honestly I don't know why I do it myself

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    :/
    Why does everything have to seem so "Meh!". :L

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depression and stagnation go hand in hand.

I used to have no motivation or interest in things that used to be fun for me when I was depressed.

5. Simple Thoughts

Trust me, I know the feeling.

Best I can offer you is buckle down, make yourself do it. If you know there is some part of you in there that wants to learn, than you just have to force yourself into the habit and as you start getting better maybe the motivation will find its way to the surface. ^^

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    If I may ask, what changed?
    How did you pull yourself out of the spiral?

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2014 at 12:19 AM ----------

I'll have to try it. But somehow I see that being insanely difficult. :/

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in the same state pretty much. I keep telling myself I should and will do schoolwork along with preliminary reading for uni, and try new stuff or paint up the warhammer army that's been collecting dust on my shelf, but the hours pass and I find most days I haven't even done 20% of the stuff I think up in my head. It's very hard to pin down the cause(s).

You've probably already been told this multiple times and tried it, but maybe try structuring your time a little more (that's rich coming from me though!) and have more targets, e.g. writing targets for the next day the night before and putting them on a checklist.

Another idea that comes to my head is simply trying something new that's pretty easy to make progress in. Atm I'm trying to break the deadlock by exercising because that's something that's tangible and in which I can see results fairly quickly; there's a noticeable progression even in a short timeframe like 2-3 weeks. Maybe it's not the case with you, but sometimes I get frustrated that I'm not noticing any real advancement in the things I'm doing and so I get impatient with it and so eventually it ends up on the wayside. My thinking is, just start from the bottom with something you can do and improve in very easily, and noticing your improvement in that might galvanise you to make improvements in other things.

My thoughts for now, but you're definitely not the only one trying to work this out :slight_smile:

8. Simple Thoughts

Wait til you actually try it...

It's beyond insanely difficult, then it gets easier after a week or so....then it starts getting hard again. I'd tell ya what comes next but I wouldn't know I never got that far xD

9. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll really try and give it a go!
    One thing I will try (since it's Lent) is to uninstall videogames and not play ANY of them and also try to cut out pointless internet time! (Mindlessly browsing Facebook, constantly checking BBC Sport/Sky Sports, Memebase, etc.) Doing this in the hopes that I fill my time with more productive things!

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2014 at 12:29 AM ----------

Also, since we all seem to be struggling with this, perhaps we could all give it ago.
    Maybe post on here the good things we manage to do every day or something. I dunno. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Simple Thoughts

Fair enough. I'm game ^^

Sadly the only thing I've got to report is I put the finishing touches this morning on a story someone asked to write. roughly 7,000 words. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's all I've done :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds good so far. :3

I played my drums for 30 minutes today and am feeling pretty pumped about this change! If that counts for anything. XD

12. Simple Thoughts

That's a good start. Do you have any self-teaching books? Dvds? or internet tutorials? Something to work with? ^^

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Basically, the only things I do regularly are those which I have specifically planned out time as not something I want to do but something I have to do for a goal. I'm also a musician (played in band/orchestra), and I practice because I want to play famous pieces of music or just to express myself and try composing my own. I often go long times without practice because I'm doing it on my own. Another example is that I really like classical piano because of the great music that was made for it. So, I taught myself piano at the hospital where my mom worked (I would give her rides for a few years while I was in college).

In contrast, I practice martial arts, and I go to a class for that. I'm much more consistent because I have made it easy to practice at home and sectioned off time over the weekend for going to class. My obligation to my teacher (normally there is only one or two other students besides me) and desire for self-development and just getting away from the stress of work is another reason.

14. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okiedokie, sounds good to me. I'll see if I can post my updates as well, and you never know, maybe banding together'll get us to do stuff!

So today I went on a 40-minute walk which was pleasant, I'm keeping up the exercise fairly well atm. This week I'll get reading some more as well.

15. Simple Thoughts

That's good. I need to get back into the exercise habit...though first I should probably figure out exactly what sorta routine I need for myself XD

16. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile:
    I should probably get back into running! Could always be in better shape. :slight_smile:
    And I have a beginner's book, but it's very short and doesn't have anything I don't already know. Having proper lessons would probably be a good idea! But until then, online tutorials will have to do. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Simple Thoughts

Yes yes. It will certainly help ^^

18. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Set small, reasonable, short-term goals. If I decide I want to run a marathon and go running tomorrow, I'd stop after a mile or two and give up forever. But if I decide I want to run to the coffee shop down the street three times this week, suddenly that seems reasonable and I can stick to it. And if it's too easy or too hard, I can adjust my goal next week.

19. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You should visit the places where you can see the people play drums .... and it will help trust me !

20. Sorceress of Az

This sounds like a symptom of Depression or Low-Self-Esteem in my honest opinion.
    I think when people get depressed we all experience this to some degree, some people repress their emotions and forget about what's bothering them but it remains in their sub-conscious and lingers driving their behavior.

First: What does your diet consist of as that will affect your mood and energy levels as well as have some minor psychological affects on some people.

Second: How strongly do you desire to do the things, that you just can't bring yourself to do on a scale of 1-10. If it's in the higher range this is most likely depression or low-self-esteem of some kind. Some where deep in your mind some thing may be holding you back, keeping you from taking action, but what you must do if I am right, is to ask yourself what it is and why it is then find an answer, some people will dwell upon a problem it's self but if you do that you will never have time enough to think of the answer.

Third: I don't know how open you are to just sitting and thinking, meditating, and stuff like that, but when I get like that, that is what I do and it helps build up my motivation, it also helps to just think about yourself and what drives your actions, to just seriously sit and think really deeply. Of course I believe in Spiritualism so I don't know if that advice would work for you.

Keep in mind that though, I am the Great and Powerful Az, that what I say might not always been perfect advice, but it's what I have to offer, the only thing in my black bag so to speak. lol

Sincerely,
    the Great and Powerful, Wizard of Az.