1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The UK is an island~

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Yosia

I had this discussion with my dad and brother and it popped up today with people at school and i was wondering what you guys think~

The UK currently is a 'big' country but i think we are too big for the size of the country, we like to think our defence is the best but realistically if someone like russia tried to take over we would have no chance~ this makes me think we should accept we are a little island and become a little peaceful country~

You guys? ^^

2. Hexagon

The UK is no more entitled to be a bully than any other country. This is not related to size or geographical isolation. It's related to the right of nation and individual to liberty.

In regards to russia, it only has about twice the population of the UK. Size, in terms of defence, is only concerned with population, not land mass. Of course, the more important thing here is defence capabilities and of course, nuclear weapons. I'm in favour of disarmament, but if russia really wanted to take over the world, it would face not only opposition from this shithole, but the US and china as well. Not going to happen.

3. Techno Kid

The UK may be a small country area wise, but it is a fair size in population. UK has 60 million or so and Russia has 140 million or so. Plus UK is a big country in terms of GDP, having one close to that of Russia (not sure which one is larger of the top of my head though).

I'm not really sure what you are proposing. : 3

4. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree

For a country our size we actually do pretty well I feel. Those out of jobs are supported and there's are so many government funded stuff that is available here and probably not in other countries or to a lesser degree. Moreover you will have heard of 'credit crunch', 'bad economy' branded around, yet you look at Spain & Greece who make our problems look like luxuries. It's not a bad country to live in really.

I don't pay much interest in politics, but you're correct. If a bigger country, such as Russia were to invade, it would be hopeless. You saw how unprepared and panic stated we were for the weather, and that's was forecast to come weeks before it did, yet it's been bedlam in some parts.

I do hope we stay peaceful and in particular sensible, for an accurate word. For instance, the Ukraine situation, I'm fine with us condemning the Russians if they're out of line. But we can't fight them, leave that to the Americans. (Not saying a fight will occur, I very much hope not a single bullet leaves a gun over there)

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the UK should avoid getting involved in foreign wars, unless there is a direct threat to our national security. I also think the UK should stop trying to imitate the US and its actions, such as blindingly following them in whatever endeavor they decide to partake in, making us incredibly unpopular alongside them.

I think the UK would be wise to retain a large military though - small countries with limited power are walked all over, as we can see with Ukraine.

I don't see Russia as a threat though. The largest reason for Russia's presence on the global stage, and its seat on the UNSC, is its large nuclear arsenal. Nobody wants to piss off a nuclear power, especially one as crazy and unpredictable as Russia. Strip away the nukes, and you have a much weaker country with a much smaller voice, and an outdated military (the UK might be smaller, but we have excellent technology on our side, a lot of which few other countries have access to - I guess that's one positive of our close relationship with the US).

#5 imnotreallysure, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying we have to be warmongers, but we'd defend ourselves if needed. Yeah, I do think we should be peaceful, but not so much that we'll do anything to keep that peace. You could be extremely peaceful and still get invaded. I really have to be careful what I say. Maybe blame my ancestors for my fiery nature. I'm just not the type to give up. One of the last things I want is a war. Numbers aren't everything. I'd rather not think about nuclear weapons, nuclear winter and eating dogfood. Is it time to build an underground bunker yet? All I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Human greed never fails to amaze me.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes me think of Mitt Romney, and his awkward comments from his book, that surfaced when he was running for president.

About England, Romney had this to say:

“England is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn't make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn't been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler’s ambitions."

Always the diplomat, he was.

Also, he was wrong on the small part: It's the world's 9th largest island.

#7 HuskyPup, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a key member of NATO, permanent member of the UN Security Council and leading Commonwealth nation, the UK is one of the worlds most influential countries. The country has diplomatic relationships with all but a minority of countries and represents the interests of some key allies through it's overseas offices.

The UK maintains a 24 hour/365 day a year nuclear capability and in the event of a national emergency the UK government could (and probably would) call up millions of men in the service of the nation. It hasn't happened since the second world war, but it could be done again, if necessary.

Bear in mind that no member of NATO stands alone - you declare war one member and you declare war on all. That's the strength of the organisation. Even the worlds biggest power, the United States, would expect the support and solidarity of NATO partners, like the UK.

The UK and US have a long standing bilateral relationship and speak with one voice on most international matters through the UN, often drawing support from European nations, Canada, Australia and Japan. I think that's a lot of strength.

9. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

We wont be that big if Scotland get their independence. Wales may even follow them. We may just become like another Scandinavian country or Switzerland and just keep out of everything. Maybe a peaceful future. Luckily we are apart of NATO like previously said.

But yes, as an island we have done very well. We created one of the biggest empires in history even though we are a small island.