1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cat just died. :-(

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aldrick, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Aldrick

I'm still processing it, but I knew it was coming. I did everything I could to try and keep her going, but cancer finally got her.

RIP, Sassy:
    April 1999 - March 5, 2014

Very sad right now, but trying to hold it in. :icon_sad:

2. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you lost your pussy-cat.

3. Hexagon

I'm so sorry (*hug*). I'm imagining losing my own cat, I'm sorry you have to go through that.

4. Techno Kid

Aww I'm really sorry! :frowning2: (*hug*)

At least she had a good long life. :slight_smile:

5. Lcfcfox

Last time that happened to me I cried.:tears:
    I hope you're cat is in a better place now :slight_smile::kiss:

6. KanayaMaryam

Sweetheart I'm really sorry to hear that. D: <3 You have my sympathy and you can come talk to me if you need support. <3 I know what it's like to lose a pet, so I hope you feel ok soon. D:

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear .. I know how special cats can be...
    (big cat fan)

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so sorry! ;-; I know some people may look at it like, "Well it was just an animal..." but they're so wrong. We bond with our pets because they're family. I lost my dog a few years ago and I'm still coping. It gets better but you'll always miss them. <3

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  10. Aldrick

Thanks. She wanted to give up weeks ago when she stopped eating all together, however I managed to coax her into eating again by giving her lots of her favorite food. Sadly, two days ago she stopped eating that, and stopped drinking as well.

I was on my way to the veterinarian hoping they'd think of something, perhaps give her an IV and she'd regain some strength. Unfortunately, she died on the way there. I'm regretting a bit trying to take her to the vet, as I would have preferred for her to die at home in a happy place - rather than her carrier while in the car.

I'm regretting not being able to hold her when she died. However, it was clear that the end was near... I was just holding out some type of hope.

She was a moody calico who had a bitchy personality. That's kinda what made me love her. Moody, dominant, with a I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck attitude. She wanted to lay on the desk and you have a pile of papers there? She'd look you straight in the eye and shove them in the floor, and then promptly plop down.

I remember when she was younger taking her to the vet, and asking why she seem to just display a huge amount of anti-social behavior. (Even with the other cats.) They attempted to diagnose her with some type of mood disorder, and actually gave me medicine to give her. I gave it to her for about a month, but she hated taking it - so I stopped giving it. I learned to love her moody quirks, and I'm pretty sure she loved me back. I think I was the only person in the entire world that she really trusted.

She was my oldest, and she's seen me through so much of my life. It's hard to picture waking up and knowing that she's gone and isn't coming back.

I'm glad she isn't suffering though. Toward the end, I could tell things were getting harder and harder on her. She was getting weaker and weaker. She couldn't even jump up on stuff anymore - she was no longer strong enough.

I'm not sure what to do with her remains yet. I'm thinking about having her cremated and using her ashes to forge some LifeGems.

11. C P

C P

I'm really sorry to hear that man; It's always terrible to lose a member of the family but, as mentioned, it's good that she is no longer suffering. 15 years is a long time and it seems like you had a great time together.

(*hug*)

It's really sad that she had to leave that way but it's good at least knowing that it was on your way to get the help you were hoping she could get.

This reminds me of family friend's cat who we nicknamed 'her royal highness' because she did what she felt like. It was amusing this one time because one of her other cats is more an outdoors one(came in occasionally) and you'd thought the two were a couple and he cheated. She smelt a neighborhood cat on him and smacked the poor guy.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's terrible. You can let it out. If anyone thinks you're weak for being emotional over a cat, then they're weak for failing at empathy. Cry, process, and heal. It's easier said than done. When people die it's like it isn't bloody real. I never had dogs or cats but I'm sure it hurts as well. It takes a while to sink in. You shared your story so you're already taking steps forward. Good luck.

13. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry for your loss. At least your cat is no longer in pain.

14. Tlarkul

I feel your pain. My step-father's husky-wolf hybrid, Zeus, recently had a stroke and will be put to sleep to end his suffering. He wasn't my dog, nor was he a big part of my life, he was still a part of my heart. Goodbye, Zeus.

15. Aldrick

C P -

Yeah, that's what she was like - she didn't play well with others. I have three other cats, all male. I used to laugh about how different she was to them. The three male cats get along with each other so well, even cleaning each other. She refused to let them touch her in any way shape or form.

She was also the smartest out of all of them - by far. She used to do little cruel things to screw with the other cats. Like, for example, attempting to hide the food dish or cover it up so they couldn't eat. She was like a little lady when it came to her food. The male cats would chow down like little pigs, but she would sit there and take her time - taking cute little delicate lady bites.

Right now, I'm doing that stupid thing people do after someone dies. Going over things again and again, doubting the choices I made. Like, for example, wondering if I should have opted for some type of treatment. However, I know that any treatment would have just made things harder on her - it would have been confusing and frightening. She wouldn't have understood what was going on, and really I would have been doing it for selfish reasons. Still, that doesn't make it any easier.

The other part of me keeps replaying how things played out again and again. I remember driving and hearing some weak cries coming from her carrier. I'd never heard her sound so weak in her life. It was almost like a whisper. That's when she was dying, although I didn't know that yet. When I got there, I took her inside and checked... and realized it didn't look like she was breathing any more.

It's kinda a stunned like feeling that washed over me. Almost as if it couldn't be happening. That maybe I was wrong, and they could save her. That's what I was bringing her there for - to be saved. It's sort of a moment when logic turns off in your brain, because you're not prepared for the truth. I went over to the receptionist and told her that I think she stopped breathing. I noticed the panicked look on her face, but I didn't really feel panicked - I was... sort of stunned. They rushed her into the back.

A few moments later I was called into one of the private rooms where they examine the animals. Part of me was holding out hope, that I had gotten there on time... but when the Veterinarian walked in she was silent. No carrier. No cat. I could tell what was coming before she said anything. She just looked at me and shook her head.

I just took a deep breath, nodded slightly, and said "Okay. She's dead then? She didn't make it?" The Vet touched my arm, and told me that she was sorry. She told me that I had done my best. She spoke some more, but I really wasn't listening. I was trying not to break down, and trying to figure out what to do.

The entire way there, I was afraid. I was afraid that they were going to tell me that her death was imminent, and that I needed to make a decision on whether or not to put her down. I was afraid that they were going to try and talk me into putting her down... and I wasn't prepared to make that decision. Turned out... I didn't have to. :frowning2:

16. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm so sorry your cat died :frowning2: mine died six months ago aged 13 from kidney failure. After a couple of months I fostered some kittens from the SPCA you should look into doing something like that when your ready it helps keep you busy and you might come across one you decide to keep

17. Silver Sparrow

I'm so sorry.

18. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to hear that. :frowning2:

19. setnyx

wow, life gems what a great idea. wish i could have done that with my cat Binx's ashes. really sorry for your loss it's hard to lose a family member.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I send you my warmth.