1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Pride...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Csp1993, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

I am dying to get my mom to go to a Pride parade/festival. I know she may feel awkward and out of place there, but it's something I feel like I have to experience. I asked her once if she would like to go and she seemed really into it. I brought it up a little while later and she looked at me really weird. Is there a way to persuade her without her being suspicious of me? I'm kind of scared to bring it up again. I don't know what reaction will come next. My mother has always been extremely accepting of the LGBT community, but she seemed really weirded out when I asked the second time.

My step-father thinks it's absolutely hilarious to make homophobic jokes, whether he's serious or not, so he's probably not going to be into it. I'm worried that his humor may be rubbing off on her and now she's comfortable making those types of jokes. I need a pro and con list to help my case in going, PRONTO. (&&&)

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why not just go by yourself?
    Or maybe with friends?

3. PurpleGrey

There is the possibility that she doesn't want people to think that she's gay. Even if she's comfortable being an ally, maybe she feels uncomfortable with the possibility that women might try to chat her up or something. Or maybe she doesn't like the Mardi Gras feel people associate with Pride. Can't hurt to ask.

I think if you can figure out why she's hesitant, it will be easier to persuade her to go.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me I'd definitely understand feeling uncomfortable since I've been there....
    Not being out & the risk of 'someone might see me' along with my shyness & the thought of going to an event alone / etc

With all that it took years before I had the courage to go to a Pride festival.

Finally one year decided to just do it (partly due encouragement from people on another forum I was on at the time) :slight_smile: I ended up going by myself. The uncomfortable feelings were all gone once I actually got there :sunglasses:

5. KWDBM

This was my experience. My mom has gotten better and better about my sexuality, but she balked at going to Pride with me 'cause "everyone's gay! they'll think I am!"

Is there a reason you want your mom to go so badly? Imo it's really not the best way to come out, and *really* not easy to remain closeted while there (at least in my experience. Having a family restaurant on the parade-route growing up was haaaard!). Is there a reason you can't go alone or with friends?

6. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

I understand why she wouldn't really want to go now. The possibility of people thinking she's gay completely slipped my mind. I just wanted her to go because she's always been supportive of this community and I just wanted her to see what it's like. I planned on coming out before, but surely some of you know the feeling of never being able to find the right time. I think I'll definitely come out before. I don't really want to go alone because, well, I just don't want to be alone. I get lonely and bored easily. I could go with one of my friends, but they don't know I'm bi. Both of my friends that I told don't live near me anymore. I could maybe ask one of them that lives closer, but I'm not sure if she'd be up for that. She's supportive too ( her cousin is gay, how could she not?), but I just don't know if that would interest her.

7. LuvMyIB

I am lucky my mother loves pride. I can understand why you want your mom to go. I love it when my mother par takes in our being who we are. If she is accepting of our community she will love pride. My mother held the rainbow flag at the end of the parade and walked down the street prouder than ever. That was rewarding for me. It felt good.

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why don't you plan on going with a friend and when it gets closer ask her if she would like to join you guys. Tell her it would really mean a lot to you if she went.

My mom was very unwilling to go, and my stepdad convinced her to go and meet up with a group of friends he knows. She loved it and to be honest she's more into it than I am.