1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Doctor Do This?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by willycubed28, Mar 5, 2014.

1. willycubed28

I had a friend tell me that he went to get something looked at. He went to his doctor and his doctor asked him a series of questions. One of the questions was "What is your orientation?" Does the patient really have to answer that if they do not feel comfortable? And does the doctor have a right to ask a question like that?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Wouldn't say you'd have to answer but I think it's a (maybe misguided) attempt to get a better sense of the patient. Typically, a gay man might have different concerns than a straight man (for instance, birth control- unless the gay guy's dating a pre-op transguy or something). Wouldn't have a major effect on the care the patient should receive (I'd hope).

3. Hiems

If the doctor asked point blank, then it would feel invasive. If the doctor asked sexual orientation as part of patient history, then it would be less invasive. Knowing the patient's sexual orientation allows the doctor to counsel the patient on their specific needs and thus provide better medical care.

The problem is that studies claim LGBT folks fear revealing their sexual orientation and/or gender identity by virtue of discrimination (usually by those citing religious views) or the doctor potentially revealing this information to unauthorized parties.

I think the latter is in violation of HIPAA and could get the doctor in trouble, so that should not be a concern. As for the former, it is illegal to discriminate in certain states. So it's probably the patient's best interest to disclose information so that they can get help as needed. If the doctor refuses care, then hopefully the patient can find a different provider.

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    drwinchester is right. It shouldn't directly have a major impact on the care you recieve, but lots of the questions doctors ask about one's lifestyle tend to be to gather a background on the patient, and links to any conditions they might have or be exposed to so they can provide better care for you and their other patients. Also, there are always tons of studies going on in the medical profession, and some doctors will actively seek out potential individuals for those studies from their regular patients via probing questions.

5. BMW2002

BMW2002 Guest

My doctor asked if I wanted him to have certain tests done, such as HIV

6. Nikky DoUrden

I was asked that question, and obviously lied >.>

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the risks for STDs are different depending on what gender you're having sex with (as well as your sexual role). So it's probably that he was deciding whether to screen the guy for STDs.

8. apostrophied

A better question would probably have been something along the lines of, "Which gender have you slept with in the past?" Because then the patient wouldn't actually have to say point-blank that they are gay. Plus orientation is one thing while behavior is another. There are surely many gay men who have only slept with women and vice-versa, so knowing that they are gay wouldn't help the doctor very much.

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asking your orientation point blank would be more a case of poor "bedside manner" than anything else, I suspect. As other posters have noted, doctor/patient confidentiality would keep him from sharing any information you disclose, and knowing your sexual habits COULD have an impact on what health concerns he might follow on your behalf, tests that he runs, immunizations that he recommends, etc.

But definitely not a very sensitive and tactful way to go about asking you.

10. Envira

It can definitely be important in terms of sexual practices. A doctor can rightfully ask a patient, and they can't tell anyone under patient confidentiality terms, but the patient also doesn't have to answer.

11. LuvMyIB

Patient doesn't have answer any questions they don't want to. Depending on why they are seeking medical attention then it could be important to disclose that information. I want my doctor to know so I don't have to have the same screening each year as a heterosexual female would have. Plus, I am extremely comfortable with my sexual orientation.

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, my doctors keep asking me if I want a Pap smear, and I keep explaining I'm a virgin so STD screening is not necessary.