1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Day Of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So for the first time, I'm going to be participating in the LGBT Day Of Silence on April 11th, to raise awareness of the silent epidemic of LGBT bullying. I figure I need to let my teachers know I will not be speaking on that day, and want to give them a note or something saying I'll still participate in class, and that I can just write down any answers they want me to say... but I'm not sure how to word it. Any ideas?

So are any of you participating in the day of silence?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I would but I don't talk anyway, so... :lol:

But anyway, yeah. I'd say just write quick emails out and say something along the lines of "Hello ____, on April 11th I'll be participating in the LGBT Day of Silence. As a participate, I won't be speaking so as to symbolize the silent epidemic of LGBT bullying and discrimination. I'll still be participating in class, though not verbally. Thank you for your time. - Paradox"

3. AlamoCity

I never did and won't in the future. In college, I remember the LGBT club at college, I believe on that day students would duct tape their mouths and write NO H8 (this was about 3 years ago. Then, they would pass out pamphlets to all who inquired. That's all the experience I have with that day.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you should wear a necklace with a note saying exactly why you're refusing to talk for the day haha. that's what they did in my school and they allowed it, with the help of lgbt alliance that is, since people in the alliance were only able to do this. everyone else understood and actually went along with it (even though they weren't advise to)

if you want to do it with a letter just be cordial about it or let them know beforehand. make a short summary and explain it word for word.

5. Hiems

One of my classmates in high school duct taped her mouth and had a typed, short paragraph on a piece of paper taped to the back of her shirt describing what LGBT day of silence is. My psychology teacher didn't complain about it, but I don't know how the rest of her teachers earlier in the day reacted. It made me happy to see an ally for the LGBT community at my school :slight_smile:

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school is "celebrating" it on a different day, because of scheduling constraints.
    It's not really a celebration, is it...
    I'll participate because I'd have the opportunity to play the Pyro's sound bites in lieu of speaking.
    "Mmph mmmph mph-mph mmph mmmmph!" Nah, I'm kidding, but who knows? Maybe I actually will do that.

The teachers already know about the DOS, and will remember that when we students participate.

#6 An Gentleman, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Someone should come up with a t-shirt for that day...

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually not going to, because my school is 99% pro-gay. Through 2 years of being at this school, I've heard 1 instance of someone saying gay people shouldn't be treated like equals, and they were immediately eating their words because their friends didn't agree with them. This was also in an environment where just about everyone had lunch break, so there were a ton of people in the vicinity.