1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there such a thing as a "gay smile?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Mar 7, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I was taking pictures with my sister and realized that I smile awkwardly and it even looks a little "gay" to me for some reason. I don't care and even made it my profile picture, haha. However, I'm not sure if it's just me thinking I look "gay" when I smile or if I never even "learned" how to smile properly at some point in my development :lol:.

Is there such a thing as a "gay smile*" Do you think you have a "gay smile" or have seen one?

* By "gay smile," I mean that for some indescribable reason, when someone (usually male) smiles in a certain way, it is believed that that person could be homosexual.

2. Yosia

I have been said i do but i think it was because i sometimes smile with my hand on the side of my face or something like that ^^

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've thought about this from time to time and I've got 5 different answers:

- yes, for some people, it's there
    - sometimes, it depends on the photo and it may be more so the case than not the case
    - sometimes, it depends on the photo and it can be less so the case than perceived in most other photos
    - not really, the person looking at the picture is overly analytical and critical
    - no, it's just a run of the mill smile

4. Nikky DoUrden

Uhm I don't know it doesn't look "gay", u actually look very sweet!!!! oh maybe THAT why it looks gay - because u look sweet? :grin:

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, well aside from the anatomical differences proposed between heterosexual and homosexual faces, I do think things like full smiles, eye brow placement, and muscles used during facial expression can give someone a distinct look that immediately pings people's gaydar, and certain gay people, for whatever reason, would smile in this fashion more often than their straight counterparts.

Of course, being someone who believes in there being multiple causes, variations, and expressions of gayness, I also believe there are going to be many exceptions to this rule. Matthew Hussey, who is supposed to be straight, definitely has people speculating on his orientation, and he has something close to the gay smile (I'll call it just the gay smile if he ever does come out).

6. ZenMusic

I didn't know a facial expression could be gay....

7. Skov

I think there kind of is one and that I definitely have it!

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see the correlation between a specific facial feature and sexuality. IWW, I don't think there is one but that's my opinion and my opinion has been wrong before.