1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do profile pictures effect how you read for people on EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by animequeen567, Mar 7, 2014.

1. animequeen567

What I mean is, the voice inside your head that you hear when you read what people say, do you hear a specific voice depending on people's profile pictures? We see each other on here commenting on different places and I was just curious. For example, (and I'm sorry for picking out certain people. But feel special :grin:) HuskyPuppy has a profile pic of Beast Boy so I read everything from him in a Beast Boy voice in my head :grin: and Stocking usually has a picture of Stocking from Panty and Stocking so I read for her in a Stocking voice. So I was just generally curious. Even if it's a picture of themselves or just a random artwork I get specific voices that go with each person. So I was wondering if anyone experiences the same phenomenon? I'm legitimately curious :grin:

2. Simple Thoughts

Not personally, but I can imagine that they would.

Like, if someone used a picture of Prof. Farnsworth from Futurama I'd be unable to avoid reading their posts in his voice because it's so easy to recognize in my head after a long history of watching the show. So I get where you're coming from.

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Usually not. But tbh that's very often because I don't get the reference :lol:

I usually read with my internal voice. Perhaps aloud and in a funny accent if I feel like it.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look at the voice threads, and I end up reading all their posts in their voice. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know. I guess I read things in the closest voice I can imagine for it (especially if they've posted something in a voice thread), but sometimes I read it in my own voice.

6. laurenc

laurenc Guest

every once in awhile I do it but most I dont and it be kind of rude to do so at times like when guys have girls as thier profile picture and vice versa

7. biggayguy

I would hope people here would read my posts in Nathan Lane's voice. He is my idealized self.

8. Harve

Does having a Ron Swanson gif as my avatar look ridiculous? After many months, is it tiresome? Cuz I still love it.

9. Emberblaze

It will now.

10. Betrys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You show such imagination. The only right way of imagining things is your way. I wonder what a red-headed woman would sound like? lol. Kudos!

11. Stripe101

Hopefully I sound like an intelligent reptile. If the person has a character I recognize, I usually read what they say in that voice.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

Exactly my point. I do read what you say in his voice.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I've read almost every one of your posts in Nathan Lane's voice.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

If they have a cute profile pic of themselves, it definitely impacts how I read their posts. :grin:

Generally I feel much more comfortable talking to people who have their pictures on here. People without pictures, I am hesitant to trust, I assume they are all 50-year-old creeps pretending to be somebody they are not. :eek:

14. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it possible to upload a picture and only have it visible to people you have added as a friend on here?

15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yes, you absolutely can limit access to your albums.

Firstly, if you make an album, you have the option of making that particular album public or private. Private albums are only viewable to your contacts and moderators. (Contacts are people you have chosen to add as contacts, it includes friends, but adding a contact doesn't send a friend request so you can make your own list of people without asking them to befriend you if you want.)

But then you have an extra level of control if you go to your Control Panel (Click "My Settings) and click "Profile Privacy", it's the third option down on the left panel. From there you have total control over who you can see every part of your profile.

There you can control access to who can view your wall and friends list, but also limit who can view both your Profile Picture and all of your Albums. You can limit access either to "Registered Members", to "Contacts" or to "Friends".

17. monotone

I don't want people to be able to link my account here to my offline self, so I don't post a publicly available photo of myself.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I do. Everyone on here I read in some voice. Like Hex, for some reason, always sounds like Jude Law... Occasionally, if I know what they sound like, that voice will change to match.

19. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Awesome, thanks a lot for your help! :slight_smile:

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well obviously you're entitled to determine whether you feel comfortable uploading a picture of yourself. I'm just being honest about my own attitude when I say I am less likely to trust a poster and be willing to talk about personal issues with a poster if I can't put a face to the name.

Ftr, I too absolutely do NOT want anyone I know offline to be able to link me to my account here. But I recognized long ago that that is an irrational fear. As I mentioned, there are numerous privacy options at your disposal. You can limit access to your photos to only Registered Members, or even to only Friends, so in the unlikely event someone you know in real life happens to stumble upon this site they are not going to be able to see your pic.