1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insults: Why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jinkies, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, this thread isn't a question of why anti-gay people insult us. It's begging the question of why we insult them. Isn't it kind of hypocritical to use insults towards someone who's insulting you, especially for the reason that they're insulting you? To me, that never gets any progress done. So, I have to ask: Why? Why does the group that gets legislated against use insults at those attacking them?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Insulting someone for insulting you is not the same as insulting someone for being themself.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

It's not an insult if it's the truth.

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    By responding to insults with more insults, you just make things worse, and it becomes your fault if things go out of your control. However, responding to them beating you up with insults? Well, they brought it upon themselves, so give them their comeuppance. If you claim to be peaceful and tolerant, and you don't tolerate a dissenting opinion, that's hypocritical.

I suggest you get their point of view, and if they seem rational about it, let it go. If they're actually wrong, then debunk it. If you don't get through to them, they are fucking lunkheads. Just don't tell them that.

Hell, if your policy isn't "love and tolerance", fight back. If it is, run and form a plan to build tolerance within them.

Get revenge, get justice. :badgrin:
    Just don't go off and try to ruin their lives, because that would surely make you a hypocrite.

#4 An Gentleman, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, that still doesn't settle with me. Because if I say someone is a hateful person for insulting me (especially angrily), isn't that being just as hateful to them? And isn't that completely against what we're striving for, which is tolerance and acceptance of everyone?

Also, it really shocks me how quickly people have replied to this thread to justify this.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Ryuchi, he is right.

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I'm sorry I just happened to finish replying to the highschool thread and I was in the section, I don't time these things Ryuichi, they just happen. :frowning2:

But commonly when people insult me, I just walk away.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Nevertheless, I accidentally closed out the tab about right after posting, and then went back into EC to see 2 people already commented. It usually takes a few minutes for something like that to start on a thread I make, even if it's a game.

An Gentleman, please help me understand how using insults at all can be justified. I see so many right-wing pages bring this up on how we as a group claim to be peaceful and tolerant and then use offending words and insults against them, and I can't help but to agree with them to an extent on this. Then of course, they go into how it's all a choice and a sinful lifestyle, and that's when I click out of the page, but sometimes they do have a point. If we're supposed to be loving and accepting, why do we use the very things that are used against us?

Similarly, I go through so many comment threads to the point of not being nearly as productive as I should be, and I see what starts off as a pretty decent debate turn into a fest of insults. Somehow there's some sort of justification? But I don't know what it is?

#8 Jinkies, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, you're absolutely on the money. Ad hominem attacks don't fix anything and people who use them are wrong, no matter how marginalized they are.

There is a difference, though, when it comes to insulting vs. calling out the bigoted people. There's no doubt about it that LGBT people have a right to be mad. But that anger has to go towards the problem, which is instilling an attitude of equality in the minds of the public. If that righteous indignation instead goes towards the people who disagree with us and even hate us, it just makes us look like entitled dicks.

10. Emberblaze

Well... What if you call someone hateful and they just actually ARE hateful?...

In any case, I think there's a difference between just blindly insulting people out of anger and calling someone out on their hypocrisy or on their wrong doings.

Example time.
    When you hear a politician say that he is a Godly, Christian, saint of a man and that he prays for the best of this country. And then, seconds later, they say that they pray that gay people never get equal rights.
    Calling that politician a hypocrite and a jerk wouldn't be an insult, it'd just be the truth.
    But, if we generalized the statement and responded by saying all heterosexuals and chirstians are a bunch of hypocritical assholes, THEN it would be blind, unnecessary insults.

Another example.
    You ever hear about the Westboro Baptist Church? With their campaign: God hates fags?
    Basically, they ARE just a hateful bunch of fuckers and there's just no other way to say it. (Okay, sure there are nicer words, but still). These people protest at funerals (maily veteran funerals) and ruin ceremonies by shouting that God wanted this and all that jazz.
    Am I saying insulting the crap outta these people are the answer? Of course not, a bullet to the head is (I'm seriously kidding). But, you can't tell me that insulting THESE people goes as unjustified. Like I said, i'm not saying its the answer, but It's certainly justified.

11. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^This.

Also, you insult a person when you don't respect them and/or they deserve it. I have no respect for bigots or other poisonous people. It's all about how you insult them though. Just calling them stupid is not the right way to go about it. To correctly insult someone, you have to do it in an educated way instead of just cussing them out or there's no point to it and you're no better than them. The key to insulting someone is to make them feel as pitiful as they truly are. This may not sound very nice, but the only people I insult are people who are not very nice themselves, and therefor deserve it. One good damaging one that's said in a more educated way and disguised more cleverly is good enough though. Then it's best to just walk away as they throw their little temper tantrum. There's no point to keep doing it or stick around once you made your point. Extra points if you are cheery about it. :grin:

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually going to say here that saying the WBC are hateful is inaccurate. They're simply quite uneducated, and, at least in Fred, they are closed-minded, and who knows? They may be that way for a political gain. It wouldn't surprise me. They do love us, but that word is quite twisted.

To us, loving us is supporting us and not insulting us for who we are or who we love.
    To them, loving us is warning us that we're going to go to a place that nobody likes after we die, if we don't say "sorry" and stop being gay.

Their definition of "love" is simply way twisted. But nevertheless, they do love us, if you think about it in that sense.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ NO

That's like saying an abusive parent loves their child. It's not true, and it's a sick lie that's been passed through for a long time; that someone can be abusive and evil and still "love" their victim.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Aussie: Even the KKK hates the WBC's guts- abhorrent bastards, the whole lot of them.

Ryuchi, I'm just pointing out what I would do.
    I'm certainly not a left-winger, or very accepting(those things do not coincide), or even very moral.
    What justice is varies between people. I never claimed to be a paragon of tolerance.

You, though, have a very altruistic attitude. For you, to go around insulting people would violate your principles. Mine, not so much, as I throw ad hominems aplenty at morons.

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then, this begs the question: Why wouldn't you respect somebody? I can see why you wouldn't respect something like an opinion or idea, especially if it has no basis in the real world, something like saying "the sky is red" or "my lamp will attack you in your sleep so you better be scared" but why wouldn't you respect a human being? They may watch Fox News, but they still have the same biological functions you do (yes, that's my way of saying "they also have feelings").

16. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry, but you appear to be misinformed. They have been asked about such things before, and have repeatedly proven what you said to be wrong. They actually do hate us and want us to die. At least most of them who have talked before. They don't see us as something that can be saved, they see us as something that is evil and should die, and should rot and burn forever in their version of hell. That is not love. Neither is what you mistakenly claimed them to be doing. Love is love. Hate is hate. The two are completely separate whether their version of it differs or not, and their version certainly does not differ to them either. You were completely right about their lack of education though.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sources, please?

18. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Clearly you have not met many poisonous people. Tell me, do you respect a person who kills others without good intent? Not like a solider or a cop doing their duty to protect others, but more like a serial killer. How about a pedophile or someone who abuses their spouse or a child? Their are people who have no humanity, and therefor have lost their souls. Such despicable people will never earn my respect. Neither will the people who respect them. You ask such a question in such a way, as if you did not understand or know the meaning of the word respect, or why people have it at all in the first place.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, this thread is over-complicating the issue. It boils down to this:

Bigot: "you pussy cocksucker!" (personal insult because it's meant only to hurt.)

LGBT victim: "That's a mean and ignorant thing to say." (defense focused on the issue at hand, despite the fact that it's a negative opinion.)

Granted that's probably not a plausible exchange, but the instigator is in the wrong. The person being insulted has a logical explanation behind addressing the ugliness introduced. We don't have to turn the other cheek to avoid being hypocrites. The second comment could even be made within a framework of respect for the bigot. The first one, though, can't by any stretch of the imagination.

20. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Look it up enough and listen to them talk or answer questions, and eventually they'll come clean with their true message. It shouldn't be that hard to find. They even have signs saying "DIE F**S DIE". Shouldn't that set off some red flags for you?